LSC: Do you use the Solo feature?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar55

Reaction score
I've gigged with my LSC only about four times so far, but something is becoming readily apparent: I don't think I like the Solo feature. The problem for me is that I don't always need to go from this exact level to that exact level. I need more variation. During our last set on Saturday night, I played with the Solo switched on and just used my guitar's volume control to adjust level. There were two results: 1) I had mor control over excactly where my volume need to be for any pary in any song and 2) the LSC seeme do be much brighter when using my volume control rather than turnig the Solo off. This will also reult in less "tap dancing" since I use several stompboxes (one less switch to hit).

So, what do you guys do?

Thanks,
Dennis

I'm a tap dancin', knob twistin' fool.

I've got a POD XT Live going into the LSC.

Gtr volume = 8.5 , Gtr tone = 8.5

POD volume pedal to be min 90%, max 100%.

Solo setup to just add a couple DBs not much at all.

That said I do tons of things but most definately use the Solo.

Gtr volume for more drive and brighter tone.
POD pedal for more drive and relatively same tone.
Solo button for more volume without tone or drive change.

To me it is a clean boost without any noticable tone nor preamp drive changes.

I agree with strumminsix. The solo offers a boost while keeping the tone pretty close. When I use my LP volume it is to tailor the drive a bit. I don't use any pedals, but am not gigging right now, just entertaining myself and annoying my family!

I think somebody posted here before about running a volume pedal in the loop... that would provide more control over the boost.

I use the solo switch constantly. I switch between a Les Paul and a Strat. The strat doesn't have the output of the Paul so I use the solo to boost it for the entire song. I will also use my compressor for a clean boost on top of that if I need it. When I play the Les Paul, I will use the solo switch for solos. I run sound for the band and its just easier to manage it that way. All the clubs we play are roughly the same size so the settings don't vary much. If I turn the master down, I usually turn the solo knob the same amount. The other time it is very handy is if I turn the drive switch off. You lose a little volume that way but I get it back with the solo switch.

Hey Dennis, Sorry I couldn't make it the other nite, unexpected stuff came up. I hope the gig went well and I will catch you one of these days.
I use the solo all the time. Just a little boost for the solo. I keep the guitar at vol 10 tone 10. If I need more on the Anderson, I can flip the series switch. Tone seems to get dulled by backing off on the guitar vol controls in my experience.
What was the overall sound like with the LSC live?

picnic

Guitar55 said:
I've gigged with my LSC only about four times so far, but something is becoming readily apparent: I don't think I like the Solo feature. The problem for me is that I don't always need to go from this exact level to that exact level. I need more variation. During our last set on Saturday night, I played with the Solo switched on and just used my guitar's volume control to adjust level. There were two results: 1) I had mor control over excactly where my volume need to be for any pary in any song and 2) the LSC seeme do be much brighter when using my volume control rather than turnig the Solo off. This will also reult in less "tap dancing" since I use several stompboxes (one less switch to hit).

So, what do you guys do?

Thanks,
Dennis

If you are using your guitar volume to control when and how much you cut through the mix, then it would ultimately be the same if you where playing with or w/o the solo on. Having the Solo on would scoop your mids a bit and add a touch more gain, but wouldn't be essential to your solo times. You could get the same affect w/o the solo and turning your output volume up a bit.
I like the solo feature exculsively for playing live. You usually have a sound guy that is either not paying attention, has a delayed reflex to your solo time and doesn't bump up your volume, or doesn't know your songs well enough to anticipate your solo. By giving yourself the solo option, you can perfectly time when your solo is cutting through and when it ends. The end result is a much cleaner overall sound. But, once again, if you can achieve this by mearly using your volume knob then great, less toe dancing and the same effect. I usually rhythm w/ my guitar on 9 or 10, so I wouldn't be able to do this, but I think we are playing two different styles.

Cheez Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:03 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think somebody posted here before about running a volume pedal in the loop... that would provide more control over the boost.

I tried this and found it more difficult to find the precise volume setting using the pedal. Unless you have a parallel fx loop and turn your loop on/off by footswtich and adjust it the volume pedal to different positions when the fx is off....but this still seems to complicated to do on stage. Besides, I modded my fx loop to series so I can cut the sound off completely and use my volume pedal almost like a swell pedal w/o loosing any gain.
Dennis, I think if the way you are doing works well for ya, then keep doing it.

OneMoreAugust said:
Having the Solo on would scoop your mids a bit and add a touch more gain, but wouldn't be essential to your solo times. You could get the same affect w/o the solo and turning your output volume up a bit.

How do you figure it would sccop your mids and add gain?

If you have the solo maxed out I might be able to see that.

If you use it to add a couple DBs to get on top of the mix, no way.

strumminsix said:
How do you figure it would sccop your mids and add gain?

If you have the solo maxed out I might be able to see that.

As much as MB claims that the solo feature does not alter the tone, I can hear a slight difference. Although, for their benefit, the MB solo is much more true to the orignal tone than other's.
It's the same as the tone difference when you turn up or down your amp. Once again, this is subtle...but still different. If you disagree, try to continue rhythming after a solo w/o switching it off. It will be sound different, not just louder. On my Dual, which may be different than the LS, I can hear more mids and there is obviously more sustain(gain) when I switch on the solo.

If you use it to add a couple DBs to get on top of the mix, no way

I'm not sure what you mean here.

I don't think we are too far apart in our thoughts, OneMoreAugust.

If you use it to add a couple DBs to get on top of the mix, no way
When I say this I mean you aren't using your solo to GREATLY increase volume just a bit to sit higher in the bands mixed.

That is how I use it.

Here is a snippet of my setup: the solo is at like 9 o'clock and the output volumes are between 11-1, the input gains are both around 10 modes = 50W.

That said I am hitting the tubes decently but not too hard. But I am not getting any powertube distortion.

When I kick on the solo, my volume gets louder by a couple DBs but the overall tone does not change. It feels a bit richer but tonally I hear no difference.

strumminsix, I think we agreeing with eachother, mostly. I use mine in a similar way, to cut through the mix.
I was reading in my owner's manual, and it says that the solo volume is in parallel to the output volume control. So it's as if you just walk up and turn the knob a bit before your solo. And it doesnt allow for the solo volume to be lower than the output volume. That's how they maintain the original tone.
I suppose tone is subjective...or maybe my solo volume is a little louder than yours. Either way I find it to be extremely useful and can't live w/o it!!

Nope...the effects loop sucks your tone dry...I go hard bypass, and just use my Homebrew Power Screamer for solo/boost...(sweet pedal by the way!!!)...oh ya...I had a problem when using the solo feature...my sound would just cut out intermittently...I never bothered taking it in for repair..just flipped to hard bypass, and liked the tone much more anyway...go figure?

I was using the effects loop and the solo boost for the first couple of months that I had my LSC. I now use the hard bypass switch to take the effects loop out of the circuit completely. I noticed that when the loop is bypassed the amp has a more bell like chimey quality to it. Not that the effects loop is bad, in fact I think this amp has one of the best effect loops that I have ever had in an amp, but I found my perfect sound by bypassing the effects loop all together. Instead of putting my G-Major in the loop, I put a delay pedal in front of the amp and I use the amps built in reverb.

for the guys that think the SOLO button adds gain or sustain, think again. what you are hearing is simply the effects of having a secondary volume pot turned up higher. this is a tube amp, and as such, the louder it goes, the more saturation your going to hear from both the poweramp and the preamp. people often ignore the fact that a cranked amp will produce more preamp gain then a quiet amp, with the same knob position. so of course the SOLO feature adds gain and sustain, but youd get the same effects from just turning up your normal master volume!

Latest posts

Back