Loop Issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarmiester

Reaction score
I picked up a Single Recto version 2 two weeks ago and have unfortunately come to the realization that the parallel loop on this amp is a disaster. I'm not looking to mod the loop to series and turning the mix to max doesn't make it somewhat like series in any way. I actually prefer the Single over the Dual and Triple so I'm willing to compromise. I've done a lot of searching regarding Mesa's parallel loop issues and most of the info out there seems dated, so I'm wondering if there's any new info, ideas, etc. floating around?

I run a very simple setup with very few effects. The only pedals I'd normally run through the loop are two delays (TC Electronic Flashback + Boss DD3) and EHX Nano Holy Grail. I've spent a lot of time messing with all possible options to get them to sound decent through the loop with no results coming close to even satisfactory. Yes, I'm aware the Flashback has a kill-dry which renders the DD3 and EHX useless unless I leave the Flashback on at all times.

I've got a show this weekend and I'm hoping I can have some progress, otherwise I'll live without using delay/reverb for this show or just take my Stiletto Deuce and be worry-free. This goes against all the pedal order guys, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to run the 3 pedals in front of the Recto somehow. It's not ideal, by any means, but if I keep the pedal levels low I'm hoping it's something compared to the useless effects loop.

Any Single Recto users doing this or have suggestions? I'm surprised Mesa didn't even do anything about the loop with these version 2 models.

Hello Guitarmiester,

Sorry I can't offer any other suggestion than replacing your effect chain with a multieffect unit with a killdry option.
If it's any consolation, I own a DR reborn and the loop, while featuring a series topology, leaks dry signal leading to phasing issues very noticeable at practicing levels - unacceptable from a consumer and engineering standpoint for a product of professional caliber (and corresponding price tag). What´s more, you can even be in a better position with your old parallel loop, assuming that it works as it should and you can get a killdry functionality across your effect loop. On a side note, my Mark V also has this phasing issues - other tube amps I own (or owned in the past) don´t have this problem, so it´s definitely something that can be avoided with proper engineering.

Best,
Marcelo

You never mentioned what the problem was, other than, it's a disaster? What's the problem?

The problem is the effects loop does take pedals and blend well at all. With the mix level 10-30% and pedal levels near max or even maxed out, the effect is extremely low. Turn the mix past 12 o'clock and there's phasing issues, pedals easily overdrive the signal, and even keeping pedal volumes low with mix level high is a drastic change in tone. It doesn't help that there's only a mix level and not send/return levels like the Dual and Triple.

So, for now I have to run my delays up front. Even using the Flashback with kill-dry engaged didn't make a difference.

You are using an ample amount of channel master volume? As it acts as the effects send level! Then using the mix knob on back to adjust unity levels?

jbird said:
You are using an ample amount of channel master volume? As it acts as the effects send level! Then using the mix knob on back to adjust unity levels?

Clean channel master is about 1 o'clock, lead channel master 11-12 o'clock, and swept from 10-90% with the loop mix. I've read the manual several times to make sure I didn't miss anything. I've trial and errored every possible option I could think of short of trying the supposed "series" mod. I thought the channel volumes were going to be key the first time I read the amp's manual but my levels are all within Mesa's suggested levels for use with the loop.

I've come to the realization that the parallel loop on this amp is useless unless you prefer your pedals to be very subtle effects. Spent a good amount of time with the amp yesterday and ended up running everything in front of the amp. It's definitely not ideal, but it's workable compared to the loop.

I'm curious if you ever tried running the flashback only by itself in the loop, on killdry setting, and if so what was that like?

I know that wasn't your original plan, I was just interested for my own sake. (flashback local for $100 in mint, and my un-modded single is my practice amp 99% of the time)

TRENCHLORD said:
I'm curious if you ever tried running the flashback only by itself in the loop, on killdry setting, and if so what was that like?

I know that wasn't your original plan, I was just interested for my own sake. (flashback local for $100 in mint, and my un-modded single is my practice amp 99% of the time)

Kill-dry only got rid of that booming, overdriving the delay pedal sound. I then had full range of the pedals volume knob but it still wasn't very up front like it is running through my Stiletto's effects loop. I don't use delay as background noise during solos so the loop isn't cutting it for me yet. I'll give it another shot over the weekend since I've got a show tonight. As of now, throwing the pedals in front of the loop is drastically different than when they're in the loop, as far as volume levels.

Guitarmiester said:
TRENCHLORD said:

Kill-dry only got rid of that booming, overdriving the delay pedal sound. I then had full range of the pedals volume knob but it still wasn't very up front like it is running through my Stiletto's effects loop. I don't use delay as background noise during solos so the loop isn't cutting it for me yet. I'll give it another shot over the weekend since I've got a show tonight. As of now, throwing the pedals in front of the loop is drastically different than when they're in the loop, as far as volume levels.

Thanks for the info.
I'll just hold off and save my $100 for now.
Might eventually try doing the mod like Sage had suggested on 7stringorg.
I hate screwing with electronics though if I can avoid it, especially on a mint amp.

TRENCHLORD said:
Thanks for the info.
I'll just hold off and save my $100 for now.
Might eventually try doing the mod like Sage had suggested on 7stringorg.
I hate screwing with electronics though if I can avoid it, especially on a mint amp.

I'd still recommend picking up that Flashback. You might be more pleased with running it through the loop than I was. I like my delays a little louder than most but with fewer repeats. I couldn't manage to get the level anywhere near what I'm used to. I just picked up another delay pedal and switched back to my Stiletto Deuce, which I'll use for now since the loop is not an issue.

I caved and will be trying out the loop mod in the next couple weeks. I know it won't exactly be series but it can only improve, I hope.

Latest posts

Back