Looking for HELP with the Reeder Mod!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enge

Reaction score
All of this relates to the Reeder Mod. I'm pretty new to the forum, but have picked up so many great tips from alot of you guys....thanks, I appreciate it.

On to the Mod. From the description of some of the post's submitted as improvements to the mod....... e.g. "Everything just seems clearer. Glassier, woodier, more real and alive. And now I get that same addictive feeling from Channel 2 that I always got from Channel 1".

"Getting results as described. Pretty much a ch 1 clone but when you add gain or drive, the compression or darkness isn't there. You still get all the 3D spank, sparkle and chime if you want it only with the amount of gain, grit, balls that you choose".

Holy S@#t!!!!!!! I did the Reeder Mod today and it's amazing how open and lush it makes channel two with the drive engaged. The distortion is very articulate"

Well, I took my amp in to my tech, gave him all of the instructions from Charles' post, and anxiously waited for my amp to return. I didn't try it out at the shop (as I should have), but took it directly to the gig we had last night..................well my problem is that I wasn't able to get ANY distortion....at all! Channel 1 seemed fine, but when I kicked in Channel 2 all I got was this terrible "boost" kind of sound..... kind of an ugly mid boost. I thought ok, I need to do some tweaking to get some distortion out of it. No matter where I set my drive, gain, anything, I was unable to get any type of distortion from it. The only other thing I noticed was that the "green" light (on my amp) came on for channel 1, and go off when I switched to channel 2. So 2 things (or maybe a little of both) 1....I'm a complete idiot, and I'm missing something with setting it up (knobs) or, my tech did something wrong......So, can someone give me any hints as to what's going on? I haven't had the amp all that long, but certainly know how to typically set up channel 2 for overdrive/distortion.....thanks in advance to any help, and sorry the post is so long :(

Dave

I'd be willing to bet your tech got it wrong.

I've done the Reeder mod. I wasn't as bowled over as some people, but I like it very much. There certainly isn't any problem getting plenty of distortion. I would take it back to the tech.

thanks vanceen. I actually think so, too. I just wish I had something to tell him, or something to help him get it straight....Charles, are you out there??? LOL :)

Just to check the obvious... is your Drive switch engaged?

The LED states you describe are good and proper... the footswitch light goes on for Ch2, whereas the LED next to Ch1 lights up when that channel is on.

Otherwise, it does sound like your tech screwed up. It is a pretty simple mod, so I'm not sure how that's really possible... maybe just a bad solder connection on one of the pots. Have him look at it again.

djw said:

The LED states you describe are good and proper... the footswitch light goes on for Ch2, whereas the LED next to Ch1 lights up when that channel is on.

Otherwise, it does sound like your tech screwed up. It is a pretty simple mod, so I'm not sure how that's really possible... maybe just a bad solder connection on one of the pots. Have him look at it again.

Thanks djw......I will make sure of the things you mentioned. Appreciate it!
Dave

enge said:
Dave
No problem. Don't worry, it will all work out! It should be easier to fix than it was to screw up (if that is what happened). :)

Dave

Exact same thing happened to me last night, volume and mid increase when I hit the footswitch for channel2. I have not done but wish I had the Reeder Mod.

Problem was I had the amp switch on channel 1 not the footswitch setting.

enge said:
djw said:

Dave
To check if the mod is done right, set both channel to the exact same setting and the drive off. Both channels should sound identical.

ja22y said:
enge said:
djw said:

Dave
To check if the mod is done right, set both channel to the exact same setting and the drive off. Both channels should sound identical.

I will definitely try this......this should be the "final' test for me to try to make sure it was me and not my tech. To be honest, I do think I screwed up and maybe had the channel switching backwards or something. I did take the amp back to the tech (this has been a couple of weeks now)......he called me 10 minutes after I left the shop and told me to come back. He had pulled the chassis and had it up on his bench. He said he checked his work with the sheet I had left with him. He started doing some channel switching, and all of a sudden got some pretty awesome sounds. Embarrassed? Well, ya! I have it back home but haven't had alot of time to mess with it....BUT do believe it was my "screw up". I really appreciate all the help everyone gave me.....Thanks again! :oops:

Latest posts

Back