Looking for good valve choices for a Mark 3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Promethean

Reaction score
I've a Purple Stripe Mark 3 Simulclass/Rev/EQ (with R2 control and Reverb level mods) that has served me very well since I got it new in the 80's. Absolutely love it.

Most of the v1-v5 valves are still the originals though.

The power tubes have been swapped quite a few times, but a recent set of STR440s have proved disappointing. Later Mesa branded valves seem poorer than earlier ones.

I was going to get 4x Winged =C= 6L6s from Watford tubes in the UK which seem universally recommended but plan to replace all the preamp valves too and invest in the amp properly.

I am currently looking at an original old Mullard ECC83 for V1 and a couple of Tungsram ECC83s for V2 & V3

Is there any current recommendation from experience for V4 and V5/PI? I've read in the forum about ECC81 in V5 for increased soundstage and trading that for a slight drop in volume.

I am playing a wide variety of music in a mix of mainly studio and small venue gigs and like a mix of nice, warm cleans and the best crunch R2 tones I can get. Used with strats, teles and gibson semis mainly. A good lead sound (not fizzy) would be a bonus.

Promethean said:
I was going to get 4x Winged =C= 6L6s from Watford tubes in the UK which seem universally recommended but plan to replace all the preamp valves too and invest in the amp properly.

I am currently looking at an original old Mullard ECC83 for V1 and a couple of Tungsram ECC83s for V2 & V3

I've just gotten 4x =C= 6L6GC from hotrox and they sound great compared the somewhat knackered groove tubes that were in there.

I'd be curious to know what you end up with because I'm also looking for a solid base of warm cleans on R1

Mine is a no-stripe 60/100 export Rev/eq

Thanks for the winged =C= comment. I'll certainly go for them and perhaps a pair of EL34 winged =C= For the simulclass. I've heard they are more reliable than 6L6 in the outer pair.

I figure with this investment it will see out my playing days so happy to spend a bit this time. Will post my findings,

Although for the cost of the retube I could get a new amp or guitar. So expectations are high.

Well my MK3 has a quartet of =C= 6L6 and a has had late 60's Mullards and a some NOS tungsram in v1-4

The really old Blackburn UK made Mullard in V1 was really too bright and way too aggressive. It's now in simple single ended amp I made where it is perfect.

NOS Tungsrams elsewhere really brightened up the preamp. I'm getting used to it after nearly 30 years with warmer valves.

The thing breathes fire like never before and I'm riding the tone control more on the guitar to go from warm and crunchy to screaming. Impressed.

Latest posts

Back