Lonestar Special vs. Transatlantic clean headroom

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I played both of these amps today back to back: a LSS 1x12 combo with C90, and a TA-15 into a 1x12 open back mesa cab with C90. I played the LSS first, and thought it sounded great with my strat. However, it seemed to lack the ability to stay clean loud. At 30 watt setting on Channel 1, using the suggested clean setting on the top card, the amp was breaking up. It's a great sound, but seemed to be limiting on this amp. I've read some complain about this on this board, and other say its not a problem.

In a different room, I tried the TA-15 and it immediately seemed louder and cleaner than the LSS, and has some really great sounds in it - I love the Top Boost channel. And that was on the 15 watt setting. It seemed to be more useable in a gig situation as I do need a clean, reasonably loud tone for a lot of what I do. I don't need 100 watts or I'd be looking at a LSC. I'm actually trying to have the lower watt options (5 is nice!) for home practice, and still be able to gig bars and small clubs with the same amp. Has anyone else compared these two amps.

My current amp is a Maverick 2x12, which is really loud when I need it to be, has a really nice clean channel which is all I use as the drive channel doesn't work for me. I am looking for an alternate amp for diversity and more fun, and something lighter!

I have both these amps and, although I haven't done a side-by-side test, I reckon between the two the Lonestar Special (it's a 2x12 combo with C90s) is louder than the TransAtlantic (through two C90 1x12 cabs), when comparing the relative LSS 5W/15W/30W and TA-15 5W/15W/25W modes. I also have no problem with either amps' clean headroom for band situations. Love 'em both!

Hi!

I have a 2/12 Maverick. I voiced mine for the benefit of the drive channel and it sounds great. Vintage Mullard shortplate 12ax7's in v2, v3, and v6 can smooth it out and give some nice sweet tone. I also changed out the speakers from the stock V30's to a darker, fatter sounding pair of JBL MI-12's in series for 16 ohms, they are hard to find on ebay but can be had for not a lot of cash. A less expensive alternative is Celestion g12-65's. Hope this helps.

Gary

Latest posts

Back