Lonestar Special 2x12 overkill?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitflogger

Reaction score
Hi,

I suppose the Lonestar forum will have some bias, but here goes.

I've become rather in love with the LSS 2x12 in local stock even though I was shopping for the Express 5:25 (they only have the 1x10). What struck me was how big and percussive it sounded at low volumes. There is the overkill part. It is only a few times a year when play electric at jams outside of home and I tend to like cleaner tones.

Would the small 5:25 and optional cab or 12" Express get me there? Selection is limited in my area because the one dealer is liquidating but there is more Mesa stock about 80 miles from home.

I am building my first amp and learning but do not have enough experience to know if it's really the 2x12 or the amp itself that made the Lonestar Special seem so impressive at low volumes even though the Express 5:25 in same room should excel at that.

I also have concern for the right amp regardless of the going out of business prices available. I rarely play with distorted sound and like chord voicing I'd call blues and jazz (Maj 7, 9th, sus), most playing is with a 52 style modern wiring Telecaster and a PRS Hollow Body I.

My favorite amp until know has been Princeton Reverb where my only EL84 was Blues Jr.. I've had Fender Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe too. I've found I like a little hair on the tone to come from the amp and not pedals. I had a Boss pedal and have a MXR OD pedal and rarely use because it seems like over drive that's not from the amp can take bass away.

Thanks for any input.

My biased opinion is that it's not overkill. I have the 1x12 LSS and I find it a touch on the boxy side until I add a 1x12 extension cab... effectively making it a 2x12. It's a great setup that's far richer and fuller sounding than a single speaker.

The two nice things about the LSS for stripped down guitar playing is that you can set up channels 1 and 2 to sound identical, then add a little bit of whatever it is you like to take your tone over the top for solos. Or, you can use the solo boost to take your clean tone and make it just a bit louder and help single notes stand out amongst the din.

The other nice thing about it is that the master volume lets you set the amp for the amount of grind you want, then adjust the volume to suit your environment.

screamingdaisy said:
My biased opinion is that it's not overkill. I have the 1x12 LSS and I find it a touch on the boxy side until I add a 1x12 extension cab... effectively making it a 2x12. It's a great setup that's far richer and fuller sounding than a single speaker.

The two nice things about the LSS for stripped down guitar playing is that you can set up channels 1 and 2 to sound identical, then add a little bit of whatever it is you like to take your tone over the top for solos. Or, you can use the solo boost to take your clean tone and make it just a bit louder and help single notes stand out amongst the din.

The other nice thing about it is that the master volume lets you set the amp for the amount of grind you want, then adjust the volume to suit your environment.

Thank you.

I think you've supported my guess about two speakers making that big percussive tone even when it's at whisper volumes.

Does it have effects loop like Express series and is there a way to use that and my looper to lay down chords and then play over with the second channel? Would an Express have an advantage here. Pardon any naivety here. I never used the effects loop when I had an amp with one. I wonder if I could use foot switch vs guitar volume to cut over what's in the looper.

One other observation was the Express seemed more extreme in the power switching. I would probably be happy if there were such a thing as a 5 watt big speaker amp with reverb sparing me the 15 and 30 watts!

It remains that it is still not a small expenditure even though the amp is on sale but it also seems like any discounts are rare with these products.

Thanks again.

bitflogger said:
Does it have effects loop like Express series and is there a way to use that and my looper to lay down chords and then play over with the second channel? Would an Express have an advantage here. Pardon any naivety here. I never used the effects loop when I had an amp with one. I wonder if I could use foot switch vs guitar volume to cut over what's in the looper.

Yes it has an effects loop, and you could run a looper in it and change channels to practice soloing over leads. I usually did it the other way... clean chord then use the volume knob to get to solo levels, but the looper I had didn't really like being in an effects loop (ElectroHarmonix).

One other observation was the Express seemed more extreme in the power switching. I would probably be happy if there were such a thing as a 5 watt big speaker amp with reverb sparing me the 15 and 30 watts!

The LSS has 5w, 15w and 30w modes.

i have lss 1x12 and i love it!
and i find it ample to play in a fairly loud blues-based/classic rock band.
it has beautiful cleans; like u, i also really dig the princeton reverb.

so, i don't miss having a second spkr; but if u r getting a discounted price (and don't mind the weight), u probably will enjoy it
they are great sounding, versatile amps

good luck with your decision!

i'd like to hear what u do...

dangit said:

Still sitting on the fence and wondering if I should take the current sale price or wait for the liquidation to continue. It's pretty obvious they're not exactly giving away decent product but I'm sure some prices will drop as it gets closer to shutting the doors. This would be among the good inventory they still have - mint shape, all the tags, and trappings, no dings, dirt etc....

:)

bitflogger said:
dangit said:

Still sitting on the fence and wondering if I should take the current sale price or wait for the liquidation to continue. It's pretty obvious they're not exactly giving away decent product but I'm sure some prices will drop as it gets closer to shutting the doors. This would be among the good inventory they still have - mint shape, all the tags, and trappings, no dings, dirt etc....

how much?

dangit said:
bitflogger said:
dangit said:

how much?

25% off, whole store is 10 - 40% off of street, "MAP", regular prices prior to liquidating. The nice stuff is not yet at super deep discounts and is starting to go fast. I the doors will be open for another month. None of the brick and mortar Mesa dealers around here generally discount Mesa like they do other brands.

how much?[/quote]

25% off, whole store is 10 - 40% off of street, "MAP", regular prices prior to liquidating. The nice stuff is not yet at super deep discounts and is starting to go fast. I the doors will be open for another month. None of the brick and mortar Mesa dealers around here generally discount Mesa like they do other brands.[/quote]

i doubt they'll discount it much more than that-if u like it, this is probably the cheapest you'll ever see it new

dangit said:
how much?

25% off, whole store is 10 - 40% off of street, "MAP", regular prices prior to liquidating. The nice stuff is not yet at super deep discounts and is starting to go fast. I the doors will be open for another month. None of the brick and mortar Mesa dealers around here generally discount Mesa like they do other brands.[/quote]

i doubt they'll discount it much more than that-if u like it, this is probably the cheapest you'll ever see it new[/quote]

It's mine. I got it for a little better than that which seems pretty good for new product. I didn't expect it but I did support the store in their 35 years of business and bought a Larrivee and PRS there among other things in recent years. I will miss the mom (that's who sold it to me) and pop independent store 2.5 miles from home.

I thank all of you for the advice and insights gained here. Now to see where all the knobs and switches need to be for me.

It's mine. I got it for a little better than that which seems pretty good for new product. I didn't expect it but I did support the store in their 35 years of business and bought a Larrivee and PRS there among other things in recent years. I will miss the mom (that's who sold it to me) and pop independent store 2.5 miles from home.

I thank all of you for the advice and insights gained here. Now to see where all the knobs and switches need to be for me.

:)[/quote]

congrats! best of luck with it! looking forward to hearing how u like it...

Back