Lonestar just another flavor of the week amplifier.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad

Reaction score
I had someone at another BB make this claim when I had posted about my excitement of picking up a Lonestar.

That comment obviously came from a person who hasn't put the Lone Star through its paces.

I got a new 212 LS a while ago and have only gigged it a few times so far; I experimented with using a GT8 into the fx return (for the versatility) - it sounded very good, but the best time so far was last night at an outdoor party gig I played. I used an actual pedalboard with a pedalsnake system and used the Lone Star's preamp all night.
People were blown away, I was blown away. I had it in 50 watt mode all night. I let a few different players use it through the night and they all dialed in disticntively different tones between the Mesa's EQ and the various pedals on my pedalboard. It was very versatile and it's tone was head & shoulders above the other amps at the gig...not to mention it had an incredible amount of headroom to spare!

I'm very, very pleased with this amp.

Lone Star State said:
That comment obviously came from a person who hasn't put the Lone Star through its paces.

I got a new 212 LS a while ago and have only gigged it a few times so far; I experimented with using a GT8 into the fx return (for the versatility) - it sounded very good, but the best time so far was last night at an outdoor party gig I played. I used an actual pedalboard with a pedalsnake system and used the Lone Star's preamp all night.
People were blown away, I was blown away. I had it in 50 watt mode all night. I let a few different players use it through the night and they all dialed in disticntively different tones between the Mesa's EQ and the various pedals on my pedalboard. It was very versatile and it's tone was head & shoulders above the other amps at the gig...not to mention it had an incredible amount of headroom to spare!

Yeah I am loving mine too. I put el34's in mine about 2 weeks ago, and I don't like the sound as much. Other than that its amazing. I got my self a Eric Johnson Strat a couple of days ago, and can't wait to hear the both of them together :D

Yep, the Boss GT8. I tried it out for the multitude off effects & modeling but when it came down to it, the Lone Star's preamp sounded better (of course). I will probably hang onto the GT8 for recording and also to have an alternate rig setup for whatever occasion might warrant it.

regotheamigo said:
Lone Star State said:

Yeah I am loving mine too. I put el34's in mine about 2 weeks ago, and I don't like the sound as much. Other than that its amazing. I got my self a Eric Johnson Strat a couple of days ago, and can't wait to hear the both of them together :D

I know I'm really bring this thread back from the dead, but I am VERY curious about that Eric Johnson Strat and Lonestar combo :oops:

Rada said:
regotheamigo said:
Lone Star State said:
I know I'm really bring this thread back from the dead, but I am VERY curious about that Eric Johnson Strat and Lonestar combo :oops:

I have an EJ Strat and A Lone Star Special 1 x 12. They work very well together. The LSS likes single coils much better than Humbuckers for sure!!!

brianf

I've had a slight adjustment to my rig since my original reply.

Now I'm using the following pedals in front of the amp (classic 212):

Zvex Fuzz Factory
Fulltone OCD
Xotic AC Booster
Guyatone ST-2 Comp
Dano Fish & Chips EQ

I've also found a rack processor that works perfectly with the Lone Star...the Rocktron Xpression, so I'm running that in the loop. I will be experimenting with a graphic EQ in the loop (before the Xpression) soon.
I just played a gig saturday night with this new setup & during the soundcheck, my bandmates and the sound guy were commenting on how great my rig sounded. Mission accomplished.

You know, that (flavor of the month) is exactly what the Lonestars ( I have a LSS 1 x 12) AREN'T. They are both pretty signifcant (and successful) departures from what MB typically has been doing; they are far from a simple derivative of what MB was doing.

I have an EJ strat also (what a great, great guitar it is) and it works great with my LSS. A lot of time, I only use channel 1 with the gain maxed out while using the 30 watt setting and its great in terms of headroom but then with lots of bite when the guitar volume is on 10.

The real magic in the EJ is that middle pickup; for me, its best use is when I'm maxed out on the neck pickup during a solo and I need just a little more cut; I switch to the middle pickup and it gives just a little more cut and brightness; the way its wired also adds a little more bite to positions 2 and 4.

I was actually ready to buy a CS 60 NOS but the GC salesman kept telling me to play the EJ; once I did, the CS went back up on the wall and the EJ went home with me.

As far as the LSS and humbuckers, I think there is something not working well (as other threads have pointed out) with the 1 x 12 LSS and a LP neck pickup- my experience is that it is quite muddy, especially using a lot of gain and playing notes towards the headstock. My experience is that a decent amount of 1 x 12 combos have this problem and I know various posters have suggested that new tubes might help this problem ( I have not yet done this).

The amp sounds great with just the bridge humbucker and even with both pickups engaged and with just the neck pickup above the 8th fret or so. But man, you hit a low G with that neck humbucker where you have a decent amount of gain and it is a little mushy.

I'm not trying to be contradictory, seriously, but I run both a Burstbucker Pro on my LP and a 490R on my SG through a Lonestar special 1x12 with a 1x12 cab and do not have muddiness issues. I should probably also say that I back my pickups away from the strings a generous amount, just as a matter of practice.

I think I listed my channel 2 settings elsewhere as well as professing my love for the JJ tubes... another thing is, the Lonestar amps are not meant to be max gained, nor do they have to be. I get some nice sweet sustain/distortion from a drive around 11:00 and a gain around 2:00.

Also, when using a multieffects/modeler unit with the Lonestar series, just use the effects and forego the modeling. I run a POD XTL through the LSS effects loop but only use the muletitude of effects and it sounds very sweet indeed. No need to model over a Lonestar Special :D

SabuJSE said:
I'm not trying to be contradictory, seriously, but I run both a Burstbucker Pro on my LP and a 490R on my SG through a Lonestar special 1x12 with a 1x12 cab and do not have muddiness issues. I should probably also say that I back my pickups away from the strings a generous amount, just as a matter of practice.

I think I listed my channel 2 settings elsewhere as well as professing my love for the JJ tubes... another thing is, the Lonestar amps are not meant to be max gained, nor do they have to be. I get some nice sweet sustain/distortion from a drive around 11:00 and a gain around 2:00.

Also, when using a multieffects/modeler unit with the Lonestar series, just use the effects and forego the modeling. I run a POD XTL through the LSS effects loop but only use the muletitude of effects and it sounds very sweet indeed. No need to model over a Lonestar Special :D

I'd like another 12" cab for my combo,how much did you pay for your?

This is a comment I made to my wife..
"If I trade in my Rectoverb for a Lonestar, you know my gigging days are over"

What does that mean? It means that the Rec is the perfect gigging amp for what I do...High gain, high powered rock, requiring nice cleans. The Lonestar would definitely NOT be the ticket for me live. At home, I'm more subdued, use no effects and look for a sweet tone on the gain side and lush cleans for the softer stuff (as in jamming my wife and kids who play piano).

As a side note, when I first went amp shopping, the Lonestar was far and away the best and classiest of the all the Mesa's I tried. As far as flavor of the month? if that flavor is Filet Mignon...than yep, it sure is!!! 8) :lol:

Nomad said:
I had someone at another BB make this claim when I had posted about my excitement of picking up a Lonestar.

I play a late 90's DC-3 combo but I recently spent an hour at GC toying with a LSC. For the first 30 minutes I couldn't get any sort of a tone I was happy with even though I was using a standard American strat. Then, the sales guy came over and turned all the knobs to zero on channel 1 and then slowly began dialing them up. By the time he was finished I was blown away! He told me that a Mesa rep showed him that trick and that it really is the best way to start from scratch and, little by little, tweak it until the sound is just right. This is the most "plug and play" you'll get from a Mesa and it was incredible! I almost dropped the $1800 for the amp on the spot. Luckily, my bandmates were there to remind me that we are saving for a demo...

F. Ace, it was around 400 bucks as it's a special order. Well worth it, imo.

Latest posts

Back