List your Recto's preamp tubes please :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resonant Alien said:
Fluff - Which power tubes are you running with this combo? Are you still running the TAD WGC short bottle 6L6s per your post last fall?

I ran those in my old 3 Channel but for the 2 Channel I have now I am running some Mesa STR440's and really really like them. They are kind of fizzy until they break in and then they are smooth goodness.

Feelin a bit pedestrian now lol but here goes....

v1: mesa sp12AX7
v2-5: regular run o' the mill current production mesa 12ax7.

Sounds good to me.
Chunky, fat n screamy when need be.
Quiet too.

I used to use high gain JJ's, and still have a set that I love. In the last year, I went back to a standard ole' set of Sovtek's from the early 90's and couldn't be happier.

OK, I'll play:

V1: TungSol
V2: EH
V3: GT 12AX7-C (Shuguang) (Mesa only has JJs anymore, and they're WAY too dark)
V4: GT 12AX7-C (Shuguang)
V5: TungSol

Nice and balanced - rich without too much fizz, but still bright. A lot of people seem to like the EH in V2, and I've had one there for about a month and it's working well.

V1 Tungsol --> EH
V2 EH
V3 Shuguang A
V4 Shuguang A
V5 Sovtek WB

Swapped the Tungsol for the EH. I like it. Not so harsh and fizzy.

Does the PI (v5) really make a difference in tone?

Got a new combo going since I got my Triple back:

V1-EH
V2-Shuguang B
V3-Shuguang B
V4-Shuguang B
V5-Shuguang B

I quite like this combo.

k i just rescued a ge electronics 12ax7a/7025 from a friend that was going to throw it away even though it works fine. any particular place this would sound best in my dual recto?

currently
EH
mesa
mesa
Gt
sovtek lps

madnova73 said:
k i just rescued a ge electronics 12ax7a/7025 from a friend that was going to throw it away even though it works fine. any particular place this would sound best in my dual recto?

currently
EH
mesa
mesa
Gt
sovtek lps

I'd try the GE in V1 and move the EH to V2.

Latest posts

Back