Left the recto... what next?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeleigh

Reaction score
Hi. I'm hoping you can help me decide which amp is right for me. I've been using a 3 channel triple recto since 2004 and have finally let it go. I always found myself fighting the sound and being constantly disappointed with the tone. It's almost though I enjoyed listening to others play through it but it always felt awkward to me. It was better with an SD-1 pushing the front end but I'd like to find an amp I'd be more happy with.

I was able to use a Diezel Einstein for a couple of songs with my band recently and loved the feel and sound. I'm ideally looking for something with a clean/heavy rhythm/lead or clean/gain with solo boost, effects loop for delay (an area the recto was not very good). I like a big full sound so I'm thinking 6L6 based. The kind of music I play is along the lines of Alter Bridge/Breaking Benjamin/Theory Of A Deadman/Three Days Grace etc. I'd really love something along the lines of (obviously I know is not going to be exact but similar is good enough) Tremonti's live sound without going dual amp.

At the moment the amps I'm considering are -

Mesa Roadster (heard some great clips of this)
Mesa Roadking
Diezel Herbert
Diezel VH4
Bogner Uberschall

Kind of want to stay with Mesa as the fixed bias is a life saver and the reliability has been excellent. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere I can try out Bogners/Diezel/VHT etc so looking around for as many recommendations/samples etc as possible.

Also my current signal chain would be based around a PRS custom 22/Tremonti bridge pickup, Les Paul Standard with EMG Zakk Wylde set, Morley Tremonti Wah, Boss TU2, Boss DD3, Marshall 1960A

Any help would be much appreciated

The Roadster is slightly darker and smoother than a 3 channel Recto... but at the end of the day it's still a Recto.

If you want to stick to Mesa then the obvious suggestion would be to check out a Mark. It's the Yin to the Recto's Yang.

screamingdaisy said:
The Roadster is slightly darker and smoother than a 3 channel Recto... but at the end of the day it's still a Recto.

If you want to stick to Mesa then the obvious suggestion would be to check out a Mark. It's the Yin to the Recto's Yang.

+1

Pretty sure Miles Kennedy uses a Mark V. I'm pretty sure Mark Tremonti uses a Bogner and a Diezel in the studio.

I understand fighting the recto. I have been enjoying my new Electra Dyne immensely.

Another vote for the Mark V. It already sounds like it's calling your name. 8)

Thanks for all the replies! My concern with the Mark V is that they have a reputation (or it is my understanding) that they have a much thinner, cutting tone than the recto series. Is this something I should be worried about? Will I be able to get it to fill out the sound as much as something more 'rectifier voiced' would be able to?

I otherwise agree that the Mark V sounds like it's a suitable option. I've never had the chance to hear one in person.

alter bridge for instance use a variety of amps - recto, bogner shiva with EL34s, Two Rock, Mesa Mark 5, diezel herbert.. what myles does is that he uses the diezel herbert as his main rhytm sound (which by nature sounds already scooped that's why i didn't like it in person) and he uses the mark Vs mids to stand out during his lead work. There are so many people claiming that the herbert is like a recto but zillion times better..
I dunno, the herbert to me sounds like a compressed high end modeling amplifier that could not cut through when i tried it with mids maxxed out during a rehearsal or two... Recto itself has a distinct nature/character and you can always tell it's the rectifier when you hear it.
If I were you, I'd go with a VH4/Einstein kind of sound.. a friend of mine had an einstein and he moved towards the uberschall and i must say i liked his PRS/Einstein/Orange cab far better than his PRS/UBer/Orange cab sound :) THe einstein with a good cab, good guitar and a good player sounds amazing, it's one of those fat tones and I have to say from the whole diezel perspective it's my favorite amp. The uberschall sounded more sterile, rather 'searing' but thinned out..
Anyway, the mark5 would be another great option for you. The extreme mode on ch3 gets this markish sound with more bass and more trebles which (IMHO) may sound to some guys almost like a recto sound but I wouldn't say that, its just a mark with shifted bass and trebles :)
If you did not like the rectifier I do not think you'd like the roadster or road king> it might be the rectifier's character that you just do not like

jakeleigh said:
Thanks for all the replies! My concern with the Mark V is that they have a reputation (or it is my understanding) that they have a much thinner, cutting tone than the recto series. Is this something I should be worried about? Will I be able to get it to fill out the sound as much as something more 'rectifier voiced' would be able to?
option.
If the MKV cuts like a sharp surgical scapel, the Recto would be a baseball bat. The MKV is a great amp, and you really should try one if you can, but you are not going to get it to sound or feel "thick" like a Recto (They sound awesome together though)

Dom

jakeleigh said:
I've never had the chance to hear one in person.

Man, don't make the mistake of getting an amp based on other people's opinions. Only your ears will tell you what you're looking for. Personally, I think you'll be gladly surprised by the Mark V. Also, keep in mind that you're posting on a Boogie message board, so you're going to get biased opinions. :)

jakeleigh said:

I otherwise agree that the Mark V sounds like it's a suitable option. I've never had the chance to hear one in person.

If you have a Recto and Mark V side by side the Mark V is going to sound thinner.

The Mark V covers a lot of sonic space, and actually goes deeper into the low end than the Recto does... however the Mark's midrange emphasis makes it sound thinner in direct comparison.

That said, once you add a bassist, drummer and a singer with his stupid tambourine... the Mark V will sit perfectly.

jakeleigh said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24e8icZG1o&feature=related

The Mark V sounds pretty phat but the gain is of a grainier quality. As I told my friend, the Mark V is the embodiment of the metal gods.

I think the Trem-O-Verb would be your best bet because of its midrange character and reverb for the clean. Heres clips of a dude who covers Creed and Alterbridge stuff with a TVERB. FYI Trem-O-Verbs were discontinued in early 2000 so you would have to find a used one if you were interested in getting one. And now for the clips..... :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Trunka34#p/u/34/juoVeSAMGRQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/Trunka34#p/u/25/GomruZJJbgk

http://www.youtube.com/user/Trunka34#p/u/22/ZC2UWEhdDcI

http://www.youtube.com/user/Trunka34#p/u/40/jXe80yA7M1A

http://www.youtube.com/user/Trunka34#p/u/38/VwVsPVSCL4M

http://www.youtube.com/user/Trunka34#p/u/36/pBD8wSJFbmQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/Trunka34#p/u/33/FEXUCdS-P0M

Tremoverb.

They seem to be voiced differently than other rectos.

I have two and one is loaded with 6L6s =C= and the other with EL34s =C=.

I tweak the controls and have two entirely different sounding beasts.

Together, in stereo...unbelievable.

V1Tung-Sol 12AX7
V6 Jan Phillips 12AT7
Remainder = Mesa

I am planning on rolling some 5751s and maybe another repeat of V6 to V5.

Why not try the Royal Atlantic series of amps. They aren't as bright, as say, the Stiletto, but they definitely have more midrange than the Rectifier series amps and are a touch brighter than the Mark V amps. They are also refreshingly simple to dial into and don't require loads of tweaking possibilities. I used to love tweaking my Roadster, but honestly, it is nice having such a limited eq layout. It is very refreshing to say the least ...

BostonRedSox said:
Why not try the Royal Atlantic series of amps. They aren't as bright, as say, the Stiletto, but they definitely have more midrange than the Rectifier series amps and are a touch brighter than the Mark V amps. They are also refreshingly simple to dial into and don't require loads of tweaking possibilities. I used to love tweaking my Roadster, but honestly, it is nice having such a limited eq layout. It is very refreshing to say the least ...

Agreed. Mesa makes more than two lines of amps. :) You might be pleasantly surprised by straying off the beaten path.

I ended up getting a really good deal on a Diezel VH4 with 6L6's. Sounds a lot better than the recto at low volumes (which neither of these amps were made for I know, but it's always a bonus). There is a lot more noise at higher volumes than the Mesa, but picking up a NS-2 later this week. Haven't felt the need to boost it yet, but will probably take my SD-1 down to rehearsal later this week just to try it out. I have found it far more easy to play than the rectifier.

I still really enjoy the recto sound and will probably pick one up in some form or other as a backup/alternative. Quite interested in trying out a single as I've only ever played duals and triples.

How old are the tubes in your new Diezel V? My amp is relatively quiet at high gain/high volume settings. Also check out the Diezel forum at Rig Talk for some good info on Diezel amps.

Martin

I still really enjoy the recto sound and will probably pick one up in some form or other as a backup/alternative.

Get a single recto and play through it and the VH4 in stereo! :wink:

Martin

mbman said:
How old are the tubes in your new Diezel V? My amp is relatively quiet at high gain/high volume settings. Also check out the Diezel forum at Rig Talk for some good info on Diezel amps.

Martin

Hi Martin,

looks like I need the 'hum trimmer' replaced, as well as all the power valves. They've also recommended I get the pre amp valves changed while I'm at it! Just calling an amp tech now to find out how much this is going to set me back! While the sound is just what I've been looking for, I can tell this is going to be far more high maintenance than the Mesa stuff.

Jake

Latest posts

Back