Larger Stage + Longer Cables = Buffer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctc

Reaction score
I've purchased longer cables, 24 foot from my passive pickup guitar to my true bypass wah, and 28 foot from my wah to my MKV amp so that I can perform on larger stages. Predictably, my sound has lost some highs and clarity. So I believe that I need to add a buffer to protect my investment in tone.

I read about several buffers which vary wildly in price and I would suspect quality, namely: T1M Mini Buffer $40; Visual Sound Pure Tone $50; LS Effects Tone Messiah $70; Sonic Edge Fluffer $80; Dunlop MXR MC406 CAE Buffer $100; Wampler Decibel $140; RJM Music Tone Saver $150; Lehle Sunday Driver $200; and Vertex Effects Vertex Dual Buffer $310. Can anyone share a comment about the quality to cost ratio of any of these?

Ideally I would like to place the buffer at my guitar (not willing to modify it), fastened to my guitar strap, before its first cable run in order to protect its tone. This presents two potential problems: it would need to be able to run off a battery; and I've read that it might not play nice with my wah (Clyde standard). Does anyone have experience placing any of these buffers before this particular wah?

Both the Mini Buffer and the Sunday Driver are advertised as battery compatible. I could only find amperage specs for the Decibel 6mA, the Tone Saver 10mA, and the Sunday Driver 7mA. If my understanding of electronics is correct, a standard 9 V battery is capable of delivering between 300 to 500 mAh so the playtime of these buffers with a single battery might be approximately 30 to 50 hours, less any self discharge, which is satisfactory. Any electronics gurus out there?

Alternatively, if the buffer does not play well with my wah, then I would have to place it after the wah and live with the tone loss of the first cable. In this case I could easily get a DC power cable to it.

I'm all ears...

I use a Boss pedal as a buffer. I've had some nice buffers in the past and IMO you'll never hear the difference on a live stage.

Beyond that, if you buffer direct off the guitar it's going to be a lot brighter than what you're used to. I purposely use a 20-30 foot cable before the buffer just to bleed off a bit of top end and smooth the response out slightly.

Have you considered going wireless?

Currently, I use three 18 footers from amp to pedal board (1 input, 1 send, 1 return).

At one point, I carried 8', 12', and 18' cables for my guitar to pedal board connection. Since then I went wireless. There's cons to wireless but, imo, the pros outweigh it. I know it's not the cheaper solution but it helps with cable attenuation and gives you freedom to move.

I've used the buffer on a Visual Sound Volume pedal, to which said volume pedal is before my wah. So far I don't notice anything strange when my wah is activated...

I've never really considered going wireless, so I'm not familiar with the pros and cons.

I ended up purchasing the Tone Messiah and am pleased with the results. It works fine before my Fulltone Clyde Wah. I've found that it makes an audible difference during a full band rehearsal. Haven't performed yet with it.

Latest posts

Back