JUST PLAYED A MINI RECTIFIER!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaggertysMusic

Reaction score
We just got our first batch of Mini Rectifier heads and cabs in stock. First impression:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The amp has completely surpassed my expectations, which were quite high. It sounds MASSIVE. It definitely has a different thing going on when compared with a dual or triple. The MINI is tighter, and the EQ controls are more responsive than ANY rectifier I've ever played. The tone controls can make drastic changes to this amp.

Turns out, the EL84 platform absolutely RIPS with the recto preamp. 10 watts triode sounds incredible in the vintage mode. I especially liked it with the gain turned down. 25 watts triode in the modern mode just crushes! Tons of tight bottom end on tap. I found myself running the bass at 2:00 - 3:00. Gain under half. Master at 12:00... and it was just brutal.

I think you guys will really dig this amp. Check one out ASAP! We will be filming two videos shortly, an in depth review of the mini rec and a mini vs. dual comparison, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

Hey Don!!!

Does it have that Recto Tone one is used to???
I'm getting really tired of playing with the EQ of the Dual and not finding anything interesting! This amp 'only' works with pedals and i don't like that philosophy!!!
How about the volume? and thickness of the tone???

I guess my Dual is going for sale!!!

Rkorn said:
Hey Don!!!

Does it have that Recto Tone one is used to???
I'm getting really tired of playing with the EQ of the Dual and not finding anything interesting! This amp 'only' works with pedals and i don't like that philosophy!!!
How about the volume? and thickness of the tone???

I guess my Dual is going for sale!!!

It is without question a recto. It has all the right sound and the feel. Dare I say it's more versatile than a dual... at least in some respects because you can use the power tube saturation if you want to and the EQ just works great. In the vintage mode I probably dialed in 4 completely different tones, all useable, all with the right recto feel and tone.

Volume? Well the cleans won't get anywhere near Dual volumes. Driven, it's of course not as loud and in your face, but the Dual and Triple are pretty insanely powered. I was afraid the Mini might lose the punch of it's big brothers, but it doesn't. I plugged it into a 4x12 stiletto and there was some serious thump without ever becoming mushy.

Speaking of cabinets, I tried out the two mini 1x12's. They're ok... I liked the 4x12 Stiletto a LOT. Bigger sound, more volume, tighter bass. I'm really curious about these 1x12's with the TA's though... all in good time.

In the end, I think this amp fits very well into the boogie family. I can clearly see how a person would like the mini over the dual/triple and vice versa.

Thanks Don! I just got my tracking number

Congrats bro! Let us know what you think of it. :D

Is this the first really agressive high gain amp to get stuffed into a lunchbox? I was trying to think, and the orange, vox, transatlantic and egnater... none of them are really gain monsters or do a particularly good job with heavy sounds. The MINI does all of the in between sounds too, and has some really sweet singing sounds.

Am skeptical it pulls of the staple recto sound and very curious about this amp. Looking forward to your video.

Sounds interesting. Videos for proof!

You asked for it! I'm looking forward to comparing it side by side with the Dual. I always learn a lot from doing that and being able to hear the recordings back to back. It's not intended to replace the Dual, but I think it has enough in it that recto fans will love it, and enough other stuff in it that non-recto fans will love it, so there's really no reason why anyone wouldn't want to buy this amp! :lol:

/salesman

HaggertysMusic said:
Is this the first really agressive high gain amp to get stuffed into a lunchbox? I was trying to think, and the orange, vox, transatlantic and egnater... none of them are really gain monsters or do a particularly good job with heavy sounds. The MINI does all of the in between sounds too, and has some really sweet singing sounds.
What about the orange dark terror, Krank rev jr, diamond assassin, engl gigmaster, or randall rm20?

I'll have to keep an eye on these. Might be just what someone like myself is looking for who finds 50w is too much. I never put my output past 30%.

I played this the moment we got them in on the loading dock, and I honestly like the tone MORE than the actual Rectifiers, strangely enough. It has a massive low end and a bit more in the upper mids. Good stuff.

domct203 said:
Let the GAS pains begin!

It's been painful for quite a while on my side... :lol:

talltxguy said:
Thanks for sharing the info. Looking forward to seeing some videos and playing one of these beauties.

+1

pegagos said:
Sounds pretty awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvITX0Jy73M

Indeed :shock: I want one even more!

Exactly as I suspected. The EL84s are making this thing rip. To me, it sounds as if I'd like this better then the actual Recs myself. Totally waiting for those clips fellas!

I am hoping pick one up as soon as I unload my TA-15.

I love the TA-15 but it is locaking some of the gain I need to heavier stuff. the Hi2 channel is NOT living up to the mesa tone I am after.

Does the Mini Recto offer a classic rock sound like the Hi1 of the TA-15?

Another clip I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHx4Vnx9Lu4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

pegagos said:
Another clip I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHx4Vnx9Lu4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And another one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84EY0ZO1KU4

Next time Im in Toronto Im going to have to try one of these. If it sounds as good as they are hyping it, I will most likely buy it on the spot and sell my rectoverb when I can.

I wish we had a music shop in my town that carried boogies... :(

Latest posts

Back