Just ordered a couple more AX7s...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
Went to Doug's Tubes (paypal checkout is nice) and ordered a few more tubes. I ruined one last night trying to get that stupid goofy V1 tube cover back on. I guess I didn't line up the spring correctly and the tip of the glass broke off of the tube. Anyway, I ordered a Mullard reissue, another TungSol to replace the one I busted, and a Electro Harmonix as well. I've heard the TSs in action and like them. I've read about the Mullard and Electro Harmonix so I thought I'd give them a try as well. I'm most excited about the Mullard!

MusicManJP6 said:
Went to Doug's Tubes (paypal checkout is nice) and ordered a few more tubes. I ruined one last night trying to get that stupid goofy V1 tube cover back on. I guess I didn't line up the spring correctly and the tip of the glass broke off of the tube. Anyway, I ordered a Mullard reissue, another TungSol to replace the one I busted, and a Electro Harmonix as well. I've heard the TSs in action and like them. I've read about the Mullard and Electro Harmonix so I thought I'd give them a try as well. I'm most excited about the Mullard!

We should get a definitive "What 12AX7 for What Position" thread going. Maybe a sticky.

MusicManJP6 said:

I did this EXACT same thing Sunday morning trying to put a Tung-Sol in V1!!! Who thought that long tube guard was a good idea? I wound up taking the chassis out of the headshell just to replace the V1 tube. I put Chinese Mesa tubes in V2 and V3 which sound way better than the stock JJs.

kramerxxx said:
MusicManJP6 said:

I did this EXACT same thing Sunday morning trying to put a Tung-Sol in V1!!! Who thought that long tube guard was a good idea? I wound up taking the chassis out of the headshell just to replace the V1 tube. I put Chinese Mesa tubes in V2 and V3 which sound way better than the stock JJs.

Yea, it's a PITA to get back on correctly! I'm gonna just leave it off while I'm swapping tubes...

Pretty much any tube sounds better in the V than the stock JJs. I love JJs in F series, Stiletto, and DC series, but hate them in Mark series and Rectos.

MusicManJP6 said:
I ordered a Mullard reissue, another TungSol to replace the one I busted, and a Electro Harmonix as well. I've heard the TSs in action and like them. I've read about the Mullard and Electro Harmonix so I thought I'd give them a try as well. I'm most excited about the Mullard!
i absolutely love the Mullard RI in v1. it smoothed out a bit of harshness (i was using a T-S in v1, and those sound a bit bright to me), and it added an awesome thickness to the high gain channels, all without reducing the gain. (i play high-gain sounds, so i need all that gain).

i liked the Mullard more than the JAN 5751--the JAN sounded a bit lower gain and a bit more grainy to me. the EH i haven't tried but am very curious about. but i love the Mullard RI so much that i may just leave it as-is. :)

Hendog said:
We should get a definitive "What 12AX7 for What Position" thread going. Maybe a sticky.

I love preamp tube discussion because I am oblivious to them. I've always just thrown in JJ's. I'd love to try some different ones for a high gain rock setup :twisted: Not that I think the JJ's sound bad, but if there is something better, I wanna try it!

kramerxxx said:
MusicManJP6 said:

Well that makes three of us so far. Bust the top off one off my tubes doing the same thing, and almost ruined the guard trying to get it back on. Funny thing is I normally consider myself reasonably handy but that thing was a royal pain in the posterior.

scott from _actual time_ said:
i absolutely love the Mullard RI in v1. it smoothed out a bit of harshness (i was using a T-S in v1, and those sound a bit bright to me), and it added an awesome thickness to the high gain channels, all without reducing the gain. (i play high-gain sounds, so i need all that gain).

I agree with this description for sure!

+1000 on the mullard RI in V1, i had also tried a svetlana in V1(which would be my second choice in V1...smoother than EH and less grainy than TS)

scott from _actual time_ said:
MusicManJP6 said:
I ordered a Mullard reissue, another TungSol to replace the one I busted, and a Electro Harmonix as well. I've heard the TSs in action and like them. I've read about the Mullard and Electro Harmonix so I thought I'd give them a try as well. I'm most excited about the Mullard!

i liked the Mullard more than the JAN 5751--the JAN sounded a bit lower gain and a bit more grainy to me. (if anyone wants to buy or trade that off me, PM me and it's yours.) the EH i haven't tried but am very curious about. but i love the Mullard RI so much that i may just leave it as-is. :)

+1000 on the mullard RI in V1, i had also tried a svetlana in V1(which would be my second choice in V1...smoother than EH and less grainy than TS)

MusicManJP6 said:
For a Mark v ? I didn't notice on in your sig just saw an axefx.

dmcguitar said:
mmjp6 had a mark v... but traded it in for the axefx, last week.

Correct. I am shipping the Mark out today actually. Supposed to receive the AXEFX on Thursday. It just makes more sense for my situation.

MusicManJP6 said:
dmcguitar said:

Correct. I am shipping the Mark out today actually. Supposed to receive the AXEFX on Thursday. It just makes more sense for my situation.

!!!!!!!!!!!

What happened?

Hendog said:
MusicManJP6 said:
dmcguitar said:

!!!!!!!!!!!

What happened?

I got bit by the AXE FX and it wouldn't let go! :lol:

Back