Just got my new G&L Legacy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old-guy

Reaction score
Right on time. Special order through my local mom & pop store, told me 6-8 weeks, got it at week #7.

I wish I could post a picture for you guys. To be honest with you the "Old Guy" is also pretty well "computer illiterate guy". When one of my boys come to visit maybe they can help me out. Anyway .............................

Here's what I got:
Legacy
Beautiful ash body
3 tone sunburst front & back
Birdseye maple neck with tinted gun oil and high gloss finish
Schaller locking tuners
1 11/16" width @ nut with 12-degree radius (matches my LP)
Graphtech nut
Rosewood finger board
Hard Tail (I'm not a "trem" guy)
Vintage case

Store owner & his salesman opened the case and said to me "Bob, I gotta hire you to order the guitars for my store. This is the most beautiful Legacy I've ever seen." (could he make me feel any better?)
I know this guy for 30 yrs. There's no "BS" between us.

OK, so now we know that it's beautiful. But how's it "play" and "sound."
(I'm running it through the LSC 1x12)

Set-up out of the case: Excellent, real nice (I'll tweak it in 2 weeks)
Neck: PERFECT (no "twists", straight as an arrow)
Frets: Beautiful, nice & smooth and level up the neck.
Finish: Flawless
Playability: Butta'

Sound "Unplugged": Real nice tone, all notes crystal clear & "toneful"

Sound Plugged in": Can't put it into words. Far EXCEEDED my expectations. Am I happy? YOU BETCHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These pups are outstanding. Would NOT dream a swapping them out.

Pickup Noise: What noise? This was the only thing I was concerned about when I ordered it. No need to worry, all 5 configurations, real quiet.

Guys, this guitar is perfect in every way. The store owner knows what a "picky, ball buster" I am. He knows if I special order something it better be "right" when it comes in or "it goes back." So this wasn't a "honeymoon" evaluation. If there was even one "small" thing I didn't like I'd tell you. It's just a REAL FINE INSTRUMENT. OK. I hated peeling the plastic off of the pick guard. That was a real pain in the ***.

The only other thing I want .............. Martin HD28. (I love that guitar)

Here's my rig: (This stuff goes to the grave with me. I'm now "content")
( I don't suffer from "GAS")

Gib. LP Std. Prem + (2004, got lucky with this, it's a good one)
G&L Legacy
Taylor T-5 Custom Koa
LSC 1x12
Hot Plate
Boss Jamstation JS-5 (meet "my band")
a few pedals

Thanks, I hope I didn't "ramble" too much.

Wife said: Looks like "Santa" came early this year. (she's a "real sweetheart" I got lucky finding her too)

Congrats! These are the best strats out there- bar none. I was also really happy with the G&L Alnico pickups! Very sweet! In fact, this guitar was the first one I played that had an inspiring tone from the middle coil alone! Ahhh and the necks on these things are just so perfect!

Hey Old-Guy,
I was waiting to hear about your getting your new guitar. It sounds like you got a great instrument. I'm glad that your happy with it. I don't know that much about G&L, but if you say it's good, it really must be good. I remember all the trouble that you had with the Strats.

I'm waiting for a semi hollow body to come in. It's due in early January. I bought a Reverend Club King and I hope that it's as good as others are saying it is. It heartening to hear that buying a guitar sight unseen can be a good experience.

Well, I hope to see some pictures of the guitar, when you can.

old-guy,
I've been looking at G&L's myself lately, lotta bang for the buck from what I can tell. Might pick one up after the first of the year. How do like your Boss JS-5 Jamstation? Great little jam box. I'm getting some great recordings with it.

Hey Brewski!

I read your post about the Reverend and went onto their web site right after reading it. (looked up your guitar) Looks "sweet" I bet you're gonna have a real "keeper". I keep looking for the post "Got my Reverend."
How much time do you have left? I find the closer you get, the harder it is to wait. But ain't it great having a new piece of gear to forward to?
You gotta love it!

3 Bad Strats' (you remembered that) :wink:

Thanks for the reply!
Keep us posted!

t0aj15,

I thought for sure that someone was gonna make fun of me about the
JS-5. But I didn't care cause I absolutely love this thing. I can tell that you know a hell of allot more about all of its capabilities than I do.
I'll have some time to spend with it this winter.

But I tell ya, "my band" always shows up for practice, never complains about doing the same song over & over again, never wants to take a break until I do, never complains about the style of music and here's the "biggie" they never yell at me when I screw up. (and that's plenty)

This thing has helped me so much. Just a real nice piece of equipment.
But more importantly ............ it's a blast!

Thanks very much for your reply! Nice to know I'm not alone :D

Bob

Hey Old-Guy,

Thanks. Like you say, I am getting more anxious by the day. Likewise, I had looked up the G&L's when you first mentioned them. They look quite nice.

The Reverends are supposed to ship in early January, so I am figuring another 2 or 3 weeks minimum. Since we lost our drummer a while back, we've been working on intonation and timing. It actually has allowed us to hear more of what we're playing and how we can blend our sounds better. (We can also hear more readily where we need work) I've been playing my hollow body more because of that, as I don't have to worry about the volume thing getting in the way. Even though I like some of the tones that I'm getting, I think that the Reverend will give me much better sustain, while still retaining a bit of percussive sound. I've been trying to find some sound clips of this model, but no one seems to be volunteering any.

I've read a lot of good things about both the company and the instruments that they make and have traded a few e-mails with Joe Naylor himself. It's nice to have that sort of personal attention. I really think that if your a smaller company in the industry, you'll go that extra mile to make sure that your instruments speak for themselves, so that's why I took a chance on ordering one. I also liked the retro look of the guitar. It really does have a look of it's own, which is cool. As long as the tone and playability go along with the looks, I think that I'll have a winner. I'm anticipating a very warm and full sound with a spruce top on a carved out basswood body and humbuckers. The Rev. owners are a small but very loyal group and they seem to be growing. I'll let you know either way. I do know that a number of the guys at one of the local guitar shops really want to see it when it comes in.

In the meantime, I've just gotta be patient.

Glad to hear there was a happy end to this story, OG. You certainly deserved one :D Sounds like a super-sweet guitar...

I'm with you on that "until the grave" part - I'm quite content as well :)

Back