Just found out Mesa is discontinuing the Mark IV's…

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carlosasi said:
trem said:
Interesting. I have nothing against Ian, and I'm sure the cleans are great, but aside from Keef, is there anyone else notable for using the IIC+'s cleans?

I believe Petrucci used the C+ for cleans as well as leads. If you go to the Mesa Website under artist videos JP discusses switching to the IV over the C+. One of the reasons was the cleans on the IV were better then the C+ in his opinion.
He ever used Mark IV clean? I haven't heard of that

Shep said:
i reckon the C+'s clean is awesome, better than a mk IV's..??

I agree.. they're different so it's a taste thing but the dynamics and touch sensitivity are way more pronounced on the C+ in my opinion.

badguitarist said:
carlosasi said:
trem said:
Interesting. I have nothing against Ian, and I'm sure the cleans are great, but aside from Keef, is there anyone else notable for using the IIC+'s cleans?

I believe Petrucci used the C+ for cleans as well as leads. If you go to the Mesa Website under artist videos JP discusses switching to the IV over the C+. One of the reasons was the cleans on the IV were better then the C+ in his opinion.
He ever used Mark IV clean? I haven't heard of that
Yeah, he did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-zal0DAu4

Anyway, I have to disagree with carlosasi. When the name "Petrucci" comes up, most people don't associate him with clean sounds (coz he's a metal shredder etc.). Sure he used IIC+ cleans, but it's his distorted sound that he is most known for. I hope you get my point.

Then again, I'm no authority in this matter. Just my opinions.

Please don't think I'm making a stand one way or the other on the C+ clean I was only responding to a claim that the C+ clean was not what made it such a great amp but was the lead that made it great. I don't own a nor have I played through a C+. I was only passing on information I had read or heard regarding the C+ and weighing in on Mesa's possible direction regarding the Mark line. As far as Clean vs Lead on the C+ I can only gauge based on my amps and on the IIA and the III all the channels are fantastic so to take a great amp and limit it to one channel over the other seems silly actually. Some days I play clean some dirty I'm just happy the amps are perfect in all channels.

I did have a chance this weekend to play extensively on the Stilleto Ace and Lonestar Classic. For my tastes the Lonestar was better, but once again when I got home, I was so happy I owned the IIA and III because IMO they are cooler. It is going to be hard for Mesa to outdo the sound of the best products they have already produced. The new amps will be an interesting chance for Mesa to floor us, but based on the recent products I've heard I'm not selling my amps just yet.

In the clip where Petrucci walks us through his rig, he uses both the IV and Lonestar. It's hard to tell why an artist chooses different amps. Like us maybe its GAS or maybe they grow fatigued of the same sounds and need a change or worse maybe they install a Lonestar to help brand the product. In any case he dropped the C+ and added the IV and Lonestar. It may be a sign of where Mesa is going with their new product. It goes back to my original assertion that they might tie together the Lonestar clean with the Mark lead.

Or just reissue the C+ and stop all this madness!

Not sure how close to the source anyone else has gotten but I was actually in the factory today picking up my MkIII after its overhaul, and a certain legendary tech indeed confirmed that the MkIV is over. I didn't ask what they were doing next, sorry :wink:

CoG said:
Not sure how close to the source anyone else has gotten but I was actually in the factory today picking up my MkIII after its overhaul, and a certain legendary tech indeed confirmed that the MkIV is over. I didn't ask what they were doing next, sorry :wink:
I think the simple question is: will what comes next, whatever that may be, satisfy the current Mark IV fans needs. If so great. If not then.... uh oh.

CoG said:

Well young man you march yourself down there tomorrow and you get us an answer. Don't you dare come home until you do.

carlosasi said:
CoG said:

Well young man you march yourself down there tomorrow and you get us an answer. Don't you dare come home until you do.
+++!

Well, it’s kind of funny, my situation. As I posted here before, I ordered a Mark IV about two months ago or so and haven’t heard anything other than I was given the usual “Oh eight to twelve weeks” response when ordered. With, what appears to be the death of the Mark IV looming, I find myself in an odd ‘Let’s Make a Deal’ type situation and I really need to pick a door.

I can just wait to see if the Mark IV I ordered shows up and hope that a better equipped Mark V is not announced the day I get mine. That would do wonders to the value of the product I just purchased. Kind of like the guy who bought a Ferrari 360 the day before the 430 was announced. The 360 is a great car but the 430 is simply better in every way. I can cancel my order in hopes that something better is on the horizon and if not fall back to the Road King II. I guess the last option is to get frustrated and go elsewhere like a VHT Sig-X or something.

I’ve certainly been in worse situations as they all lead to a win but it’s very frustrating making this choice. Hell, it took me forever to decide on Mark IV in the first place. I am just naturally deterred from spending this kind of money on a discontinued product no matter how impressive. Sorry, if I sound like a whiney little school girl. Oh decisions, decisions …

Sorry guys, I didn't want to push...!

I doubt any new guitar amp, if there is one, will resemble the Mark IV anyway. The only other thing the tech in question said on the subject was "well, there's 15,000 of them out there" which kind of leads me to believe there isn't much interest in going back to the future :D

CoG said:
Sorry guys, I didn't want to push...!

I doubt any new guitar amp, if there is one, will resemble the Mark IV anyway. The only other thing the tech in question said on the subject was "well, there's 15,000 of them out there" which kind of leads me to believe there isn't much interest in going back to the future :D

Ebay has made it much easier to buy used gear such as Mark IV's. In the past you would have had to rely on running into a used one in a local store or on an ad. Now we have a nationwide used marketplace. It could be that most of the demand for Mark IV's now is being handled by the current supply of used units, and the sales of new ones has dropped off too much to justify.

Actually sales are up for IVs in the last 18 months or so. My workplace has sold three in 18 months after 18 years of never having one in stock :D

...and I am directly responsible :D

("pleaaaase can we order a Mark IV I promise I can sell it")

The latest word on this subject: my usual Saturday afternoon visit to the local L&M (the beeeeeg Canadian chain, for those unfamiliar :wink: ) resulted in some clarification. A few weeks ago, I told the resident Mesa dood at the shop that the Mk IV short chassis models were being discontinued, and a couple of weeks ago I passed on the info from here that the entire line was being discontinued, possibly in favour of some sort of revised/replacement model. Needless to say, he was skeptical.

Yesterday he grabbed me as I walked in and gave me the update. He'd called to place an order and spoke to MB's dealer-service guy (the fella's name unfortunately passed in-and-outta my short-term memory, as a result of the rest of the chat...) and then had the following info confirmed by Randall himself: the medium head and widebody combo Mk IV models are not being discontinued any time soon, but there will be a new-old Mark model coming... likely not for another two years (think NAMM 2010) ... with the delay presumably for redevelopment of currently unavailable parts...

It will indeed be a Mk IIc+ reissue. 8)

Now, this conflicts with other reports of Randall saying "We've moved on..." (I'm paraphrasing), but I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I be offended, by a classic NKVD-calibre 'disinformation' campaign just to keep things interesting 'til things are ready to roll... with the 'word from the horse's mouth' being slightly different every quarter...

We shall see... :wink:

From what I've been told, that last post is inaccurate. I would get myself and some other people fired or in trouble if I said more though. It is hard to stay out of this thread!

phyrexia said:
From what I've been told, that last post is inaccurate. I would get myself and some other people fired or in trouble if I said more though. It is hard to stay out of this thread!

That's why I wrote that I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of an on-going disinformation campaign to keep us buzzing about it, while misdirecting us in the most entertaining ways... different dealers being told different "official" stories at different times... :lol: :wink:

Back