Is this normal??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSwenson

Reaction score
?I just picked up my new LSC and brought it home. I noticed that just behind the power tubes is a machine screw that sticks out of the chassis about an inch. Is this normal? I've got a picture but can't figure out how to post it.

Thanks,
Dave

It's normal. This screw provides a ground connection between the chassis and the shielding foil on the inside of the cabinet top.
Some might say it's also a vibration dampening device. However, it would seem that in order to *decrease* the vibrations reaching the chassis, the last thing one wants is to *directly connect* the chassis to the cabinet.
Hmm-Kay?

MrMarkIII said:
It's normal. This screw provides a ground connection between the chassis and the shielding foil on the inside of the cabinet top.
Some might say it's also a vibration dampening device. However, it would seem that in order to *decrease* the vibrations reaching the chassis, the last thing one wants is to *directly connect* the chassis to the cabinet.
Hmm-Kay?

Thanks very much. It took everything I had to fight the urge to get a screwdriver and start screwing it in tight.

Dave

MrMarkIII said:
Hmm-Kay?

If the chassis has any wiggle room, loud volumes and/or certain frequencies will cause the chassis to vibrate against the cabinet and create an audible noise. If you make sure the chassis is squarely connected to the cabinet, it will vibrate with the cabinet as one cohesive piece, and nothing will be heard.

Imagine holding two spoons pressed against each other. Slap them against your countertop and you'll hear a metallic clank. Now imagine welding them together. If you slapped them against the counter you would no longer hear them hitting each other because you have minimized the void between them.

Back