Interesting Observation Regarding My Mark II Graphic EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Mark2A

Reaction score
Recently I picked up a nice EQ/Spectrum Analyzer (TC Electronic 1128) to use in the loop of my Mark II. While playing around with it, I dialed in a preset which basically set everything flat with the exception of a mid cut in the 600hz and 800hz ranges. As an experiment I set the five band EQ on my Mark II to exactly mid point, which I assumed would be a flat setting. I then proceeded to observe the spectrum analyzer on the TC unit and switched the onboard eq in and out of the circuit. When I switched the Mesa 5 band EQ into the circuit I noticed that my mid cut disappears on the spectrum analyzer. In order to get my mid cut back I had to pretty much drop the 750hz slider on the amp all the way down. This seems odd to me. Is this a normal feature on the Mesa five band EQ, to provide an actual 750hz boost when set to the flat position? Or perhaps, was this a feature found on the earlier Mark II's (mine was built 12/78). Would love to hear from Authorized Boogie, or anyone else who notices this on their Mark amps.

Technically, the basic design of the graphic EQ circuit hasn't changed much since it's introduction until very recently. Those results you shared are very interesting though; it would explain why the normal inclination for most people is to turn down the 750Hz, though there are notable exceptions.

Snottyboy said:
Call Boogie for an explanation. Then report back here! Interesting.

Nah. Long ago I tried the phone thing with them a few times to inquire about having my amp serviced. I was told someone would call me back, and so I got tired of waiting for the callback and had my amp serviced locally. No way I'm going to bother calling them for something like this. I could just imagine how that would work out. :roll:

Rick Mark2A said:
Snottyboy said:
Call Boogie for an explanation. Then report back here! Interesting.

Nah. Long ago I tried the phone thing with them a few times to inquire about having my amp serviced. I was told someone would call me back, and so I got tired of waiting for the callback and had my amp serviced locally. No way I'm going to bother calling them for something like this. I could just imagine how that would work out. :roll:

I only have one experience calling Boogie, about 3 years ago. It was for a similiar type of question as yours regarding my IIA and ended up talking with Mike B. for about 45 minutes. I got more of an explanation than I ever could have hoped for.

In the Blue Angel amp there is an actual GEQ module in the circuit that is inside the amp. It is filled with epoxy and its settings -- which are presumably flat -- can't be changed. It is alway engaged in the circuit. I've heard it referred to as a mojo module. So, the GEQ circuit was known by Mesa to add something extra even when it was engaged with flat settings.

BAMojoModule.jpg

Latest posts

Back