Intelligent Pitch Shifter Recommendations for the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Supreeth!

I have the Gsystem (im selling soon tho) and its true there arent any custom scales that you can define im pretty sure as well that the pitchfactor didnt have this either when it came out but i heard they were working on it for an update (i didnt follow it up thought to see if they did already)

I still love Tc electronic. they have good support, but their updates are too slow so if theres any bug its a real pain.. I had one that really annoyed me but not gonna bore you with it, just wanted to say its been years since they promised me to fix it and they have yet to come up with that update. The Axe howver is much better in that area. However i cannot compare it at all effects wise because i have never even been able to test one

However as you said the AXE has preamps that you could use for backups but keep in mind that you will still need a poweramp for it to sound really good, or at least that;s what i have heard from a lot of people online as well as the clips i have heard show that. Then if your amp goes down it will probably the powersection, as the preamp tubes last much longer.

But all of this doesnt say the AXE is not a good idea just making sure that you have these things in mind to consider?

Later Bro!!

However as you said the AXE has preamps that you could use for backups but keep in mind that you will still need a poweramp for it to sound really good, or at least that;s what i have heard from a lot of people online as well as the clips i have heard show that.

I'd have to disagree having been an AFX exclusive user for 2+ years and never ran it with a power amp. Some guys don't even use a powered FRFR... they just rely on a monitor feed or In Ears. I personally used a powered speaker, Verve 12ma, and was pleased with it. Not that running a power amp with the AFX doesn't sound good.. I'm sure it does... some of the guys on Fractal Forum swear by it... I think most don't... most use FRFR's... to each his own. Hell, some would probably think I was blasphemous for playing a V or any tube amp instead of the AFX because the AFX would blow the V away.... I disagree with that too..... the AFX by itself sounds awesome ... the AFX WITH the V sounds awesomer :lol: .

Sorry didn't mean to derail this post but the AFX is one of the best IPS's and does offer significantly more quality user options as well.

Thanks guys!

rispsira, I will be getting my pitchfactor today and will spend a good part of the weekend tweaking it! I will also check to see if they have any software updates. Is there any particular reason you're selling the G-system off? The G-system sounds like a great device but the more I read the TC forums the more doubts I have about it. I'm being picky now but running an ethernet cable between the pedal and processor does not appeal to me lol!

I looked into the Gmajor 2 as well but there are reports that there's a 1-2 second lag between switching effects and that is a no-no for pitch shifting!! The AFX will probably give the simplest setup since it has built in support for stomp boxes and apparently they're modeled very well indeed. Cost wise it will be about 800-1k more than any of the other setups I have in mind.

I will always use any processor to build on the foundation of tone the Mark V provides, but having it as a backup device is invaluable. I remember a gig back in 2006 when I had amp issues and I played straight through the PA using only my Digitech GNX3000 and pulled it off!! The AFX doubtless will be much better than the GNX!

cheers,
Supreeth

Supreeth said:
Thanks guys!

rispsira, I will be getting my pitchfactor today and will spend a good part of the weekend tweaking it! I will also check to see if they have any software updates. Is there any particular reason you're selling the G-system off? The G-system sounds like a great device but the more I read the TC forums the more doubts I have about it. I'm being picky now but running an ethernet cable between the pedal and processor does not appeal to me lol!

I looked into the Gmajor 2 as well but there are reports that there's a 1-2 second lag between switching effects and that is a no-no for pitch shifting!! The AFX will probably give the simplest setup since it has built in support for stomp boxes and apparently they're modeled very well indeed. Cost wise it will be about 800-1k more than any of the other setups I have in mind.

I will always use any processor to build on the foundation of tone the Mark V provides, but having it as a backup device is invaluable. I remember a gig back in 2006 when I had amp issues and I played straight through the PA using only my Digitech GNX3000 and pulled it off!! The AFX doubtless will be much better than the GNX!

cheers,
Supreeth

Though you can use an ethernet cable to run between the two, it's actually meant for a heavy duty neutrix connected ethernet cable. In which case, just consider it a proprietary cable as it's just a black cable with connectors that look just like XLRs. I bought a very nicely built 20' one from redcoaudio.com for $13.

The G-System also has built in loops and switching for stomp boxes, and the new TC stomp boxes are actually controlled by the G-System.

Not trying to steer you from the AFX though, just pointing that out. I think the AFX would be my second choice.

Supreeth said:
Thanks guys!

cheers,
Supreeth

Though you can use an ethernet cable to run between the two, it's actually meant for a heavy duty neutrix connected ethernet cable. In which case, just consider it a proprietary cable as it's just a black cable with connectors that look just like XLRs. I bought a very nicely built 20' one from redcoaudio.com for $13.

The G-System also has built in loops and switching for stomp boxes, and the new TC stomp boxes are actually controlled by the G-System.

Not trying to steer you from the AFX though, just pointing that out. I think the AFX would be my second choice.

Iconoclysm said:

No problems man. I appreciate all the feedback!!! Control wise I agree that the G-system is a far more easier system to use, and the price is nice too (almost $1000 less than the AFX + MIDI controller) and I can use my current pedals. I've been on the TC forums a lot in the past couple of days and there seems to be issues with using expression pedals with the G-system. Do you use expression pedals with the g-system, and if so have you run into any such issues?

Thanks!
Supreeth

Supreeth said:
No problems man. I appreciate all the feedback!!! Control wise I agree that the G-system is a far more easier system to use, and the price is nice too (almost $1000 less than the AFX + MIDI controller) and I can use my current pedals. I've been on the TC forums a lot in the past couple of days and there seems to be issues with using expression pedals with the G-system. Do you use expression pedals with the g-system, and if so have you run into any such issues?

Thanks!
Supreeth

I'm still holding out for the official expression pedals, sorry.

cam said:
However as you said the AXE has preamps that you could use for backups but keep in mind that you will still need a poweramp for it to sound really good, or at least that;s what i have heard from a lot of people online as well as the clips i have heard show that.

I'd have to disagree having been an AFX exclusive user for 2+ years and never ran it with a power amp. Some guys don't even use a powered FRFR... they just rely on a monitor feed or In Ears. I personally used a powered speaker, Verve 12ma, and was pleased with it. Not that running a power amp with the AFX doesn't sound good.. I'm sure it does... some of the guys on Fractal Forum swear by it... I think most don't... most use FRFR's... to each his own. Hell, some would probably think I was blasphemous for playing a V or any tube amp instead of the AFX because the AFX would blow the V away.... I disagree with that too..... the AFX by itself sounds awesome ... the AFX WITH the V sounds awesomer :lol: .

Sorry didn't mean to derail this post but the AFX is one of the best IPS's and does offer significantly more quality user options as well.

You know better man!! as i said i have never tried one. So i guess different opinions online and im glad that you chimed in, now supreeth will be even more confused! LOL but i beleive this is a good thing, as it makes you research even more etc and make decisions that hopefully he wont regret!

Supreeth said:
Thanks guys!

cheers,
Supreeth

Hey Supreeth! im glad you can try it yourself! before i forget (since you wrote that in another post which isnt quoted above) the TC electronic have been coming up for too long now haha, i placed an order so long ago and it kept being pushed then i got a refund and i think its no reason why you shouldnt buy the Gsystem because you can purchase other expression pedals that will work with the G.

What bothered me about the Gsystem before was a bug that it had as i said before and i got tired of that but it isnt the reason why i am selling it either.
Personnaly i am just selling it because the midi capabilities are too limited for the new rig i am building, and i wouldnt want to carry two midifootcontrollers. I got the eclipse instead, but might purchase another TC unit in the futur, just not that one.

One thing i would do if i got the Gsystem (but carefull that's just my preference), and that's what i have always done since i bought it, is not use the two DSP sections. I would avoid the first AD/DA converters because i beleive that the pre-section effects that they put in there should be replaced by dedicated analog units that will do a much better job.

Mmm.. what else. Yea one last thing i would buy another Mark V and have a stereo setup: in case of failure just switch to a mono setup with one Mark V, and you could do that with the price of the AFX. But thats just me :D :oops: :oops:

rispsira said:
Personnaly i am just selling it because the midi capabilities are too limited for the new rig i am building, and i wouldnt want to carry two midifootcontrollers. I got the eclipse instead, but might purchase another TC unit in the futur, just not that one.

One thing i would do if i got the Gsystem (but carefull that's just my preference), and that's what i have always done since i bought it, is not use the two DSP sections. I would avoid the first AD/DA converters because i beleive that the pre-section effects that they put in there should be replaced by dedicated analog units that will do a much better job.

Mmm.. what else. Yea one last thing i would buy another Mark V and have a stereo setup: in case of failure just switch to a mono setup with one Mark V, and you could do that with the price of the AFX. But thats just me :D :oops: :oops:

Thanks man. That's good info. I will keep it in mind if I get the G-System. It's interesting that a company of TC's caliber would whiff on the MIDI capabilities of their flagship product. I'm no MIDI expert but I think Eventide is much better in this department. I got the pitchfactor yesterday and noticed that 5 entire pages (in small print) of the manual are dedicated to MIDI setup!!

Back to the spirit of this thread which was about intelligent shifters, I played around with the pitchfactor ysterday for a few hours, and went WOOOOOOOOOO :shock: :shock: :shock: I have only spent time on the diatonic mode and quadravox and they rule. I was initially worried when I saw that the pitchfactor did not have the harmonic minor scale as an option but the brains in the unit make up for it. When you play a harmonic minor on the pitchfactor set to a minor scale, I noticed that the harmonist played the closest note when I played the #7 which in this case was a semi tone higher (the root). I'm more than happy with this because the semi tone harmony between the root and #7 sounds very good to me indeed!! Very good unit with a well written manual. I think there may be way too many special effects in there for my liking, but that's okay, and it lets you store 100 presets!!

The cons of this unit are

1. Wall wart adapter (This sucks and for some reason Eventide pedals need a 9v adapter with 1200ma current!!!!. I really hope the Voodoo lab versa power supply comes out soon!)
2. There's a definite treble boost when the unit is on and there's no high cut filter on the unit.
3. The presets seem to have been made by some kid that's into space age effects. Even the diatonic presets are unusable for playing with enormous amounts of delays and effects that should come from a keyboard and not a guitar :)

Other than that it's great. 10/10 for the intelligent shifting and harmonizing!! I'll post more as I learn more.

Hehe a second mark V would be great man but the effects come first for now :D

cheers,
Spreeth

I'm enjoying the PitchFactor. A few notes...

It works much better thru the fx loop.

The factory presets are not so good. Most of them have delay on the harmonies; just turning the delay all the way down makes them much more usable.

You have to read the manual. A lot of the buttons and knobs do different things at different times.

Get the update. Out of the box, it only allows the major scale plus the modes based on it (which sort of means one scale). The update adds harmonic minor, neopolitan, hungarian, wholetone, and others.

mlockett said:
I'm enjoying the PitchFactor. A few notes...

It works much better thru the fx loop.

The factory presets are not so good. Most of them have delay on the harmonies; just turning the delay all the way down makes them much more usable.

You have to read the manual. A lot of the buttons and knobs do different things at different times.

Get the update. Out of the box, it only allows the major scale plus the modes based on it (which sort of means one scale). The update adds harmonic minor, neopolitan, hungarian, wholetone, and others.

Thanks man. I am using the PitchFactor in the loop. My chain in the loop is PitchFactor->Nova Modulator->T-rex/Nova Delay (depending on my mood and what I'm playing). I'll be sure to get the update! I just don't use delays on the harmonizer. It's a nice feature to have but not for me :) Again, thanks for the heads up on the update!

Do you use the PF as a studio unit or do you use it in your live performances?

Thanks,
Supreeth

Supreeth said:
Do you use the PF as a studio unit or do you use it in your live performances?
At the moment, I'm only doing studio work. I wouldn't be afraid to use it live, but of course, I'd have to know exactly what preset to use on what song and have it appropriately tweaked ahead of time.... it's not like a chorus or flanger. :)

Latest posts

Back