Info on Nomad amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanj

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I went searching on this board to see if this has been discussed already and I couldn't find it, but apologies anyways if this has been discussed. First post to this board so be gentle (joking...) Anyway, I am looking to purchase my first Mesa and am looking at several different Nomad models (specifically a combo, Nomad 55, I believe) I currently have a Fender Custom Vobrolux Reverb and while it has great clean tones, there is no gain to speak of. (It's a Fender, right?) So I figure if I want great gain, I go Mesa! But let's just say that on my "allowance" a new Mesa is a little out of reach at this time.

Which brings me back to the Nomad. I have not had the opportunity to play one yet (there's a Nomad 55 at the local GC for $895 that I am going to check out this weekend), but I thought I would get any users opinions and find out what its like.

So here's the questions Nomad users: Is this a two or three channel amp? Footswitchable? Tubes? (I'm assuming 6L6) What can I expect for clean tones? What about gain? Would you consider this a true hi-gain amp? Are we talking more "Marshally" in tone or is this pure Dual Rec territory? Speakers? 2x12? Celestion or Mesa? Reverb? Any known issues that I should be aware of when buying this particular model used?

I know tone is a pretty subjective thing but I trust you guys! Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

I own a Nomad 100 212 combo. I use it with either its own speakers or a 412 closed back cabinet.

It is all tube, three channels. The 55 and 100 models use 6L6 tubes, 2 and 4 respectively. Each channel has two voicings.

Channel 1 is clean or pushed, not my favorite. I use a Mesa Blue Angel for cleans.

Channel 2 in its Modern setting is my favorite. It's high gain but not Marshally. Tones are darker and warmer than a Marshall.

Channel 3 is the Ultra High Gain channel. I use it sometimes, but it gets kind of fizzy.

You can use either 6L6 or EL34 tubes in the Nomad 55 or 100. Just be sure to set the rear bias switch correctly. I tried a quartet of EL34s in mine recently. It still doesn't sound like a Marshall, but it's not bad, and definitely different from the 6L6 sound. Stays a little cleaner and tight, I had to push up the bass and mid sliders on the eq. I still prefer the 6L6s.

Nomads use a huge footswitch that controls channel, reverb and solo boost functions. Make sure you get yours and the necessary cable with the amp.

Is there such a thing as "too versatile?" Maybe. In my opinion, the Nomad does several things okay to pretty good, just not great at any one thing in particular. Try it, it may be right for you though.

Hey! Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Anyone else? Let's keep 'em coming!

cvansickle, The one thing that does get to me sometimes about Mesa amps is the versatility that is built into them. Sometimes it is a little overwhelming to me. I originally bought my Fender because it was a simple layout without a lot of bells and whistles. The flip side of that is that it is pretty much a one trick pony and for recording purposes, I need something that produces more gain and gives me more tonal options. And I really want something that gives me plenty of "amplifier" gain without resorting to sticking a pedal in front of it. Know what I mean?

Hey Ryan!

I don't own a Nomad but here's what you may want to do.

Go onto Mesa'a site, go to "out of production" models and click onto the Nomads. Also under owners manuals click onto the Nomads.
This won't give you "opinions" but it should answer your technical questions.

Also, you have guys on this board who are very experienced and play every style of music imaginable. Tell the guys what style(s) of music you're into. That will help them "help you." They'll be able to tell you if the Nomad will do what you're looking for.

Remember, even if something is a good deal or in your dollar ball park, it's not gonna do you any good if it doesn't do what you need it to.
All of my mistakes have hit me right in the wallet.

Take your guitar to the GC that has the amp & plug in. See what you think.

Good Luck!

I have a Nomad 45 1x12 combo (uses EL84's rather than 6L6/EL34's).

I love channel one for cleans and channel two for anything from Keef to AC/DC.

Channel three isn't bad (many prefer it over channel 2) but it doesn't compare well IMHO to a Marshall. Putting an EQ pedal in the loop went a ways to giving it a crisp rather than fizzy distortion and I now feel that I have the amp that I expected when I purchased it.

I've only played on a Mk II and that was a long long time ago so I can't accurately compare the Nomad sound to the sound of other Mesa's like the Recto's.

A couple of loose observations, not all will agree with me:

1. You need to play this amp LOUD to get the best tone. It is not a satisfying amp to play at bedroom/practise levels. Turning the master volume on channel one past 4 (actually getting pretty loud) really makes it shine.

2. Channel three: Humbuckers. Please. I tend to avoid channel three when using a single coil guitar.

3. The cliche about spending time learning your settings is very true. You can get a good sound very easily but you need to learn how the controls interact before you can dial in a specific tone on command.

4. I think that the Nomad series gets a bad rap because it is a very good amp from a company that seems to create classics at will. It tried to be Mesa's smorgasbord amp, kind of a budget Mk IV, but failed in that respect. Cvansickle's "jack of all trades" observation is true and if you want that "Recto" tone or that "Marshall" tone, then go to the source and buy that specific amp. If you are the type to search for your own tones and you are not searching for that one signature tone for your playing this is a very rewarding amp.

Some may string me up by the 'nads for saying this but I think the Nomads compare favorably with the DC series amps. Given the prices that I've seen on the used market they are a great deal But as always play before you buy.

Good luck and good hunting,

Tommy

tommy has many great points.

Channel 2 is vintage mark II, d.c. series, and can cop a decent F50 sound (although it is noisier) with the eq engaged (need the fabled "v shape")

Channel 3 is like a modified marshall. Tight low end, ton of midrange bark, with the rectifier top end (grainy distortion). If you want a mesa sound, turn the high end off, crank the bass to 3 o clock, and presence to about 12 o clock. It will sound more like a mesa.

Channel 1 is more Mark I clean.

It is a very versatile amp. I think you can get great bedroom tones. This amp is very versatile. Hook up a close back cabinet, and you have nice bottom end. It sounds killer with a mesa 2 x 12 oversize recto cab w vintage 30's.

j37

Alright guys! Once again many thanks. I plan on going to GC tomorrow to check it out. You all have been a big help. If any one still has more comment please let me know.

Once again many thanks. I plan on going to GC tomorrow to check it out. You all have been a big help. If any one still has more comment please let me know.

For the $900 or so that you are looking at, you may even want to look around for an F-50. 50 watts with 6L6's. I had bought one that was under a year old pretty reasonably. I think that it's a keeper amp. It has a great clean and has a lot of gain to it. Just an alternative, if you don't like the amp that you are going to look at. Good luck.

Thanks for the recommendation Brewski.... I hadn't really thought of that. I don't know too much about the F-series amps, seems like a spin throught Mesa website is in order. How are the cleans on the Rectoverb combo? Anyone? Not a big deal as I can run a multi amp setup with my Fender holding down the cleans but I have always thought that if an amp doesn't have a decent clean to build on then it may (and I stress may, this is no hard and fast rule) not be able to really put together a good grind.

I have a 55 1x12" combo. I run it through Hotplate all the time so I can't really remember the 'original sound' (as a Boogie owner to be, you'll realize soon enough how LOUD these thingies are :shock: ). And if you wire it to 4x12" or something it gets silly.

I haven't experimented sufficiently with all possible modes/voicings, got sidetracked with work. But it works really out of the box. I know I definitely use Red Channel (Ch3 , or 'Mesa Channel') in vintage mode. A winner. Sounds like playing a violin.

I use green channel (this is the American or Fender channel) when jamming along stuff like pop, world music or fusion (if I could play country I'd use it there too) like DiMeola or Metheny or friggin' ABBA , orange channel (this is the British new wave of heavy metal) when I goof around with Saxon, Maiden or Priest and red channel for everything from Metallica to Dream theater (obviously Metallica sound would get less sound processing externally, much rawer sound). So yeah, it's a poor man's Roadking I guess. And now we have that Roadster that I noticed is calling my name :shock: .

I use (optionally) a tubescreamer in front of it. Not for more gain, it's more like tone shaping. I cut on the gain on the red channel when playing something as fast as Master Of Pupets or Battery (not that I play it every day :roll: ), turn the power up (Hotplate comes handy here) and use tubescreamer for some passages and solos (when vocals kick in you usually wanna turn it off anyway).

I guess the guy who sold me the Nomad put in matched JJ 6L6 tubes. Can't remember about preamp tubes.

Anyway, I figured you already tried it by now?!?

I wonder what some of you guys do with your nomads... lol

I agree they are kind of a poormans roadking, well, more of a precursor to it. as there was the DC (2 channel & EQ) then the nomad (3 channel, & EQ on the 100) then I think they split it into the two groups, they brought back the simple 2 channel format, no bells or whistles with the F-series (and no presence knob :x ) then those who wanted a huge tonal pallet could go with either the RK, MK IV or 3 channel recs.

I can get my nomad to do brilliant cleans, stinging blues, some good marshally rock to even a distortion that would make recto question itself... yes, there I said it. To all the people who think the nomad can come nothing close to that type of sonic brutality of the recto series, what are you doing?

Nomads are kind of the outcasts of the mesa group; people like to look down on them for some reason. I use to be like that. Because it didn't have a shiny DP grill or say rectifier all over it. It’s been up against TSLs, an f-50, 5150, soldano avenger, and madison divinity, it’s held its own quite well I must say. Especially for being a 45 watter it packs quite a punch.

cleans are great, though in all honesty the blue angel owns that category but the nomad has a far better clean sound than you will find out of many high gain amps. It’s very full and lush. I can do everything from vibrant jazz chords to cranking the gain up to cop a nice SRV tone. Flip the switch over to pushed and you start off in SRV territory and if I push both the gain and master on the channel I get a searing high gain tone that has a harmonic spread so amazing I’ve yet to hear anything like it in another amp period.

Channel 2 can get pretty marshally if needed, if you'd call it that. This is an all around great channel that begs for a hard crunch or a singing lead. With my EMG 81 equipped 6 string in drop D down a step I nail killswitch engage tone dead on.

Channel 3 this channel can be VERY tricky. Most people would just expect to hear the same thing as channel 2 just with more gain and/or presence ala 3 channel rectos. BUT ITS NOT! This is my theory for people who can seem to get a decent sound out of channel 3. Its compressed, ok...that’s an understatement... it's VERY compressed, maybe too much to the average knob tweeker but if you know how to use the compression it can be your best friend.

I’m running my gain and channel master both around noon with the output at about 10 o clock. With my 7 string I get a distortion the IMO would make a recto weep. if I’m spitting out lightning fast riffs the it keeps up, but the real magic is with the very comp. sound is that if I let a chord ring out all the "hit" of the initial pick attack swells into a huge chord that sounds amazing in the mix.

Another thing about channel 3 is the (over)abundance of mids it has. This also contributes to the people who don't like channel 3 because they like there mids way up to cut through, this amp doesn't need it! I scoop a lot of them away but they are still there and great too. (This is why people like the 100w for the EQ so they can crank the mids then scoop them out later in the EQ)

The nomads are kind of the underdogs in mesa line I’d say. But you dig deeper and deeper into forums and such and there’s a small little devote group of nomad aficionados. If you spend enough time with one you’ll know why :).

I'm with ya' Dylan. I love my Nomad, especially since I set myself up with a full bore midi switching system for all my amps and effects. I can tell my Nomad to use channel 3, a 412 cab and certain effects patches with one program change, and then switch to channel 1 clean with reverb in the 212 of the combo.

When the Nomads first came out, I tried the 55. It wasn't anywhere near the tone of my DC-5 I had at the time, so I passed on this series. It was a couple more years before I got to try a 100, and I liked it so much better. I think it's the graphic eq that makes it. I never thought I would want a 100 watt amp, but thanks to a HotPlate it works for me.

And yeah, I've got the Blue Angel for my cleans too, so I'm covered.

i traded my blue angel for my nomad. i was sad, but after hearing the mesa distortion to my metal zone it was a no brainer. that beaing said, im perfectly happy with my nomads cleans, the increase in headroom was really nice as before i had to get the BA to overdrive a bit so it would help the MT-2 out so i never had a 'clean' clean channel. i'd like to move up to the 100 in a while (that 5 band EQ is callin me!) but until then i'll just have to play with my amp as is (which is still awesome).

i was wondering if mesa would add the EQ onto my forty-five. i know they can add them with marks, and they are a custom amp company. i tried to call them but i always get the machine. everytime i call them i get a machine, and if i leave a message they still don't call me back.[/i]

If you want a warm body to answer questions you could always give the boutique store on Sunset a call. Mesa is pretty good about hiring staff who have a working knowledge of the amps.

Have you tried EQ pedal. I put a $30 Dan-O eq in the effects loop and sent as much of the signal through as possible and have gotten some satisfactory results. You have played through a 100 watter before so you are probably a better judge, but it was a cheap solution.

i've tried my friends boss GE-7. which does little, if anything to change the tone of the amp. just more cables to mess with...

just found this.... while lloking for info on a mesa tigris of all things, lol. i think this is when the nomads first came out. the later ads say stuff like "nomad... for the player with finesse" and although that is true (it is very responsive to picking technique) it makes it kinda sound not as agressive (which they can and do so) this explains why they replaced the DC series as well.

"With the release of the bodacious Single Rectifier™ series combos and heads and the long awaited ship status of the Formula™ Recording Pre-amp, we were finally able to clear a slot and get on to updating the Dual Caliber series.

Now all you Caliber Owners are probably saying "Hey...what's wrong with my amp...it smokes everything
I put it up against " and to this we say "Bravo...we agree". In their 14 years of continuous backorder status, they leave a proud long list of inspired and satisfied owners. But the one area of the MI market- place alongside home recording that seems to be growing steadily as guitar continues to be young musicians axe du jour is amplifiers. And the ever popular "around a grand " region is a competitive venue to be sure, where players really shop their choice. Here, stripped boutique offerings are impossible - as they would get killed off quickly by feature hungry players needing a value priced performer. And major manu- facturers are forced to deal Tone a mighty blow at the hands of the ever powerful profit-conscious suits and penny-pinching accountants. Thank goodness we have successfully dodged the many buyout offers over the years in favor of staying small enough to remember the Musician and focused enough to remember the Tone.

With three different fully evolved and independent channels, the Nomad pre-amp covers the sonic continents with
mysterious confidence

So for us this project was a challenge and tested our design skills like no other. Build ultimate value, tone and performance into a package that delivers mindbending sound quickly, effortlessly and affordably! Manage to do so using all the same custom designed, high-quality parts used in our more expen- sive models. And finally, ensure that there simply is no competition in this strata of the marketplace. A Tall Order. But after 27 years pushing the envelope of high performance tube amplifiers, we have some pretty solid tracks to follow. So, with trance like determination we look forward into the future - and reverently, back through our past to create a collection of circuits so defined in personality... that they are instantly recognizable in any domain. Like the Nomad™. At home in any land.

For eons, these wandering bands filled with inspiration and the calling of a higher purpose have left responsibility behind in search of a feeling...an experience. Trading the habitual life of security for that brief glimpse into the timeless...that fifteen minutes in the sun. It is in the spirit of this courage and resiliency that we offer a new line of all-tube, three channel amplifiers dubbed appropriately.....Nomad.

They promise the most amplifier
you will find in virtually any price range and certainly represent the deal of this century

With three different fully evolved and independent channels, the Nomad pre-amp covers the sonic continents with mysterious confidence. Combine this footswitchable gain and shaping finesse with three robust power section con- figurations ( 40 watt-EL84 & 50/100 watt-6L6 ) and pack them into three combo speaker choices (1x12, 2x12 & 4x10 )...you can arrive assured that you'll conquer any city you visit.

Channel 1 ( Rhythm ) pays tribute to the Dual Calibers´ sparkling clean channel - which is black face in lineage, but refuses to be posi- tively identified as it shifts to double as a high gain drifter. This new pull "Pushed" control located on the Gain pot is the same ugly circuit causing riots on the front panel of the new Single Rectifiers' and is a full blown lead mode in its own right. Channel 1 alone offers more flexibility than most two channel amps!

Channel 2 is a fat-*** blast from the past that has become all of our favorite new lead sound around the shop. Browner than the How-Now-Cow, this channel is part Mark1, part Heartbreaker and part Formula Pre and is so juicy, it's downright messy. Its liquid gain response in any region, from virtually clean to a violin howl is our easiest to play, fattest single note voice to date and should be played for the first time in near proximity to an uncrowded restroom.

Channel 3....This rebellious channel - now a traitor to the crown - escaped only recently from across the Atlantic. Recognizing its potential we offered political asylum, freedom and a whole new identity. Imprisoned there for years...lying dormant in a sedentary life serving low gain signal to a dynamically impaired set of EL's, this brash young circuit is reborn Yankee and now threatens to challenge even the mighty Rectifier army. With an uncanny ability to disguise itself as either warrior or sage, it defies logic and description as it massages the deepest blues grudge - then turns, mercilessly slaying the unwary at the local mosh pit. Don't take our word. Just play.

The culmination of so much discovery, hard work and breakthroughs beyond frustration lives in these Nomad amplifiers. They are totally comprehensive and deliver instant gratification while never sacrificing long-term satisfaction. They promise the most amplifier you will find in virtually any price range and certainly represent the deal of this century and possibly the next at their respective pricing. And best of all...they really are at home in any musical land. "

Ooooohhhh! I feel so unworthy. Never heard the Nomad described in such spiritual terms. (Mebbe Carlos has as much influence on Randall's mind as Randall had on Carlos' tone). Thanks Dylan!

And just to keep the love for the Nomad alive, here's the set up I'm going to be trying out this week:

Guitar to Ibanez Weeping Demon to Nomad. In the loop will go a Dan-O EQ to a Yamaha Magicstomp I (my new toy).

Laters,

Tommy

i'm late to the game haha; I've had a nomad 100 head for 2 years; i've used it in bands with dudes who swear by their recs, and i've had it up against pretty much any 3 channel head worth its salt and it'll take care of business on a budget man.

It was my first 100 watt head ever, and i'm a freak about clean tones. I also happen to be in more projects then anyone deserves, so i needed to be versitile.

I've played this head with a 12 piece big band doing swing songs, I've played it in blues bands, rock bands, and heres the kicker: i use it in death metal and hardcore bands. It does it all; and thats the **** truth.

Heres what youre going to want to do, Get a good compressor, it'll give you that little extra bit of juice you'll need to get the 2nd and 3rd channels to snarl. Stay the hell away from mesa cabs if you use an extension, the distortion voicings are dark to begin with, it doesnt need that deflated bass response to ruin it. and thats it man. Its a great piece of gear.

Recto players, i got a dude to sell his triple rec for one, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Latest posts

Back