If you didn't play a Lonestar....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSVBagpuss

Reaction score
What would you play?

Don't get me wrong, the Lonestar Classic tone is what I want and I'd love to be able to afford it but the cost in the UK is so high, I really can't justify it.

So, is there anything in your travels that you've come across that made you say "wow! that's an awful lot like my LSC" ??

Well, ideally I'd like a Road King II, on account of the LSC cleans being in it, along with some killer Recto stuff on ch 3 and 4. That and the power tube options. But that doesn't really answer your question since it's more expensive than a Lonestar! :roll:

-dave

To be honest, I do like my current amp with the BB preamp for that thick lead tone. Doens't stop the GAS for a new amp, but money procludes me.

I suppose my question is more broad than oringially asked, and it's more like "what makes the LSC so warm"??

Have you heard the expression "you get what you pay for"? If I could've got something like a Lonestar for less money I wouldn't have paid £1200 for a used head! If I wanted a great amp for little money I'd look out for a 'Session Sessionette 75' on ebay, great clean and good distortion. A musicman 112 is a great little amp, but of course you're not getting the versitility of the lonestar. I really wanted 2 channels with solo. The only thing I'd have liked was a footswitchable loop. Have a look on Gumtree (in London) as you get some very cheap Lonestars on there from time to time.

Any tube amp with enough speakers and throw in a BBe stomp will get you a big, fat tone.

though it doesn't really compare, the fender reissue tweed bass mans have great cleans you can find them used in Canada between $400-600, no idea about the though

+1 on the RI Tweed Bassman... they sound great. A little big large, but obviously that isn't a real issue for a Pigfarmer... another route would be to get a Rivera-era Fender, like a Concert or a 75, which are usually pretty reasonable used and sound pretty darned good.

In any case I guess I'd be happy enough with my old BFDR, but I'd miss the total control over the hair on the cleans. And the only reason I even got into my LSC is because I was tired of hauling my JCM800 around, but I still love how that thing sounds. If I'd had the sense to just get a 2x12 cab (instead of GASing for a new combo), I probably wouldn't even have a Lone Star...

Otherwise, there are lots of more expensive amps I'd love to get ahold of (Fuchs, Bruno, Dr. Z, etc)

I picked up a Traynor 2X12 YCS90 Which is awesome...but still cannot run with the Lonestar wich is the finest sounding amp I have ever heard.

Probably a good Fender or one of those nice "boutique" amps (÷13, Matchless, etc.). I'm mostly looking for clean though...

I'd also concider one of the older Marks, if you'd want to stay in Boogie-land. The Mark I/IIC+/III had great cleans, that supposedly was the main inspiration for the Lonestar clean. And as we know, the lead channels sound ... ok, too. :wink:

Since your already in the UK, why not a Vox AC-30 with Celestion Blues?

Sweet. :)

-Gary K

Mork said:
Have you heard the expression "you get what you pay for"? If I could've got something like a Lonestar for less money I wouldn't have paid £1200 for a used head!

My thoughts exactly.

If he wants to get CLOSE to a lonestar sound, then there are a bunch of tube amps that will do that, but again it will not BE a lonestar.

egkor said:

-Gary K

Don't go thinking that because VOX are made in the UK we can get them cheap...we get screwed as well!

Mork said:
egkor said:

-Gary K

Don't go thinking that because VOX are made in the UK we can get them cheap...we get screwed as well!

Besides the LSC, I have a Vox AC-15CC1 (with Wharfdale). I love that amp. I've got a Vox V212BN (2x12 ext. cab), and someday I plan to get a Vox AC-30CCH (head only) to sit on that cab.

Just want you to know where I'm coming from, I really like the Vox tube amps. :)

-Gary K

I guess if i had to compare, I have the 410 LS calssic with 100/50 and 10w modes. I would have to say it is part super reverb because of the 50w mode with recto, 410's and reverb and part Mark 1. Im planning on doing the reeder mod tongith or tomorrow.
SD

I recently had kind of a revelation about amps... I have a Lonestar but it's broken and requires repair. I had to do a gig so I used my Fender Blues Deluxe (1993) and bought an MXR Distortion III for the dirty sound. I'll be damned if it didn't get me 95% close to a pretty raging Marshall sound.

With the Blues deluxe I get a nice warm "Bassman" like clean channel, a nice overdrive "Deluxe Tweed" type sound (Think Keith Richards) and you add any distortion box you want for the overdrive sound.

I would recommend that any guitar player starting out or on a low budget to purchase:
1. An old EL34 or 6L6 based amp with lots of clean headroom (Think Traynor, Sovtek Migs, Fender Silverface)
2. A Bad Monkey or similar for a nice break up sound
3. A distortion/overdrive for your heavier sounds

I would probably be playing an Egnater MOD 50 if I didn't have the Lonestar. In fact, I'd get that too if I could.

how about a fender pro/super-sonic?

GSVBagpuss said:
What would you play?

Don't get me wrong, the Lonestar Classic tone is what I want and I'd love to be able to afford it but the cost in the UK is so high, I really can't justify it.

So, is there anything in your travels that you've come across that made you say "wow! that's an awful lot like my LSC" ??

boogiemon said:
how about a fender pro/super-sonic?

GSVBagpuss said:
What would you play?

Actually, that's a good choice. Those amps are nice!

Latest posts

Back