I'd like to thank Mesa for the Roadster!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Feeling a little inspired after spending half the day rocking on my Roadster, so time for another long post :lol:

To start, I've had some time with Mesa since I started playing them 6 years ago. Here is my chain:

-Purchased a 3 Channel Dual Rectifier
-Got sick of Recto....sold for a Mark IV
-Wanted something different still...sold Mark IV for a Stiletto Duece Stage II
-Wanted the recto sound...bought a early 2 Channel Recto, and trade the Deuce for an Ace Combo
-Traded recto and stiletto ace for my Roadster
-Looking for some 'diversity,' I bought a Bogner Uberschall, Mark IV, and Mesa Stiletto Deuce II to have with the Roadster.

As you can see, I've been through a lot...I've even been back to some of the same amps more than once. Looking back, it all came down to getting 'bored' of the recto sound after a few months...seems to be a common thing...GAS hits, and you grab something else.

I have the Roadster for about 6 months, and again, doubts were coming....instead of selling it off, I, purchased the Uberschall, Mark IV, AND Stiletto, to have all at once, in hopes of putting together a killer stereo rig, and getting 'the best of both worlds.'

Read on...it's funny how things turn out.

So it's been close to a year since I've owned my Roadster, and I have all these other cool amps with it too. Usually, I move on by now, seeing my trend :p As you guys have seen in other threads, I've tried numerous combinations of these amps to find the perfect stereo rig, with the Roadster being the main one (mostly because I have a custom roadcase for it). Roadster + Mark IV, Roadster, Uber, and Mark IV, Roadster and Stiletto. All cool combinations.

Having spent months with them, it was time to make decisions. The Uberschall went first....really cool amp, but not very versatile, and it covered similar ground to the Roadster (I think the Roadster does gain better). Then went the Mark IV....cool amp, but not my style in the end. Finally, after trying so much with the stereo rig, I just sold the Stiletto.

In the end, I found I like the tones of the Roadster MUCH better alone than mixed with another amp. While the other amps mixed well, all they really did was add a little more in the tonal spectrum...and it really wasn't anything I liked in my tone either. After trying all these stereo configurations, I just tried running my Roadster through my two Mills cabs (obviously hadn't done this in a while), and I was floored!!! The sound was clearer, fuller, punchier, and more aggressive than any of the combinations.

Maybe me and this amp were just meant to be, but in the end, the stereo rig was more of an effort to please the gear ***** in me, and not my ears :roll: I got these other amps thinking they would blow the Roadster away, but the Roadster ended up trumping ALL of them!

I'm really happy. Actually, that falls sort...I'm completely blown away! This amp has SOOO much going for it. Maybe Mesa slipped some Elven magic into my Roadster, but no pops, no delay, no boost necessary, and I have the best tones I've ever had. Makes my old rectos sound hollow (always a problem I had with them). AWESOME clean, great crunch tone, smooth, liquid leads, and the meanest high gain rhythm channel I've ever heard...no boost, no fizz...fat, but not harsh!

The biggest step in the right direction were the Tung Sol EL-34Bs....I tried 3 times to go back to 6L6s with this amp, but I pulled them back out just as fast as I put them in....if you haven't tried these tubes, do it. They make EVERYTHING on this amp better!

The last 10% of the icing was a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1. I'm using unconventional settings, but this amp just sounds unreal. A think I owe a big thanks to Dave Mills for my 2 Afterburner cabs aswell.

Alright...I'm done.

Long story short...any of you guys that like the rectifier sound, but can't seem to stay grounded....try a Roadster w/ Tung Sol EL-34Bs. Tweak till your ears are happy, not your eyes. I can't guarantee my settings will work for everyone, since they Mills cabs really allows for a different frequency response, but the sounds are in there.

I tried to get rid of it....but the amp just blew everything out of the water when side by side...it's the first time I can say a recto did that for me.

Eric

I think we have similar tastes in tone.

I have found Winged C EL34's to be my voice in the power tube department, and my secret weapon in the preamp section is a Mullard in V1.

My ideal sound is something like a Recto and a boosted JCM800 put together. Although I wont ever get there with my 3 Channel, I can come close. Or maybe I should just start taking my Rev E out of the house I dunno :lol:

I think I will pick some of the Tung-Sol 34's up though!!

All hail Mesa!

Man, you are REALLY making me want to jam out on a Roadster. I can't wait to get near one again...

As far as changing the tubes, I put KT77's and GZ34's in my 3-channel dual rec and it sounds 100x better than with the stock 6l6's!!! I'm talking a HUGE difference. I like the 77's because they have the response and clarity/cut/spread of 34's but retain most of the low end of the 6l6's. My amp is much less harsh now and if it had a serial fx loop, I would love it.

Settled down now eh? Sowed your wild tone oats? Well I don't believe it young man.... After 6 years of slutting around with any old high gain tart... you say you've changed your ways?? I give it 6 months, 9 at best... You'll be sneaking around Guitar Center with your jack in hand, ready to plug into the nearest hot 12AX7 .... :shock: :shock:

I don't doubt I'll be gassing again...but the cool thing is that the Roadster always manages to beat the Gas when it comes up...nice little feature that Mesa snuck in there ;)

$5 says sometime in the next 4 months Eric will be posting a thread on an Orange Thunderverb or Diezel Herbert or something! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a deal...same goes for me.

And don't get cheap on me either...make sure to use the gift option :lol:

**** it! I am soooo torn between buying the Roadster and the Mark V that I can't sleep at night and then you, Eric, come on here with all your Roadster praises and talk of all it's glory and it is definitely making me lean more toward it (especially seeing how my name is Eric too, maybe I'll like it as much as you). 8) I honestly think the Roadster tone would be more for me anyways, just need to get to a Guitar Center that actually has these amps in stock to play around with and see which one I prefer.

I love mine. Everything is stock bar the V1 which has been replaced by a Mesa SPAX7 preamp valve, and the poweramp valves are now Winged C 6L6s...

Roadster is no doubt sweet. After I got my MKV and went up to GC, they didn't have another one for months. I always plugged into the Roadster to try out guitars and loved the tone and bloom of jabbing a few chords or chunky riff. They are not coming back used very often and definitely not cheap used when they do. One of these days I will find a good deal on a Roadster. Just like my $200 SG.

Sold my Roadster. Good amp but some things about it bugged me to the point that it was effecting my enjoyment of it.

I've also been through a Nomad 100, DC-5, Mark IV, 2 and 3 channel Dual Rec's, Rev 2 and Rev Blue Uberschalls, Shiva, don't have any of those anymore either lol.

I hear you man, I LOVE my Roadster, I loved it when I used and OCD always on on channels 3 and 4 and I LOVE it now that I'm only using it to tighten up my leads. Anytime I tweak on this amp I come up with a different albeit killer sound. Skinny cleans, fat cleans, dirty cleans, crunch, sludgey goodness, tight leads, you're right, this amp DOES IT ALL!!!
I am running KT77's with the stock rectifier tubes after trying out the gz34's. The gz34 felt good but I'm loving the feel of the original tubes.
I have done the same thing trying to go back the my winged c 6l6's and then pulling them out pretty much right away, the KT77's just sound great in there. I have tried the Tung Sol el34b's and loved them but I had bad luck with blowing them out so I decided to try something new and I have not turned back.
You're spot on about the Mills cabs as well, I only have a Mach 212b but they seem to match the recto sound PEREFECTLY.
Glad you've found you're sound, don't try an Electradyne.

I posted my own review/blog of the Roadster earlier, but it bears repeating w/a link - I think we're in the same camp. I've gone through a LOT of gear... Rather than change tubes though, I felt a speaker change was needed to get what I needed from it.

http://www.legendarytones.com/mesaboogiestory2.html

What can I say, reading all this every day only makes me more and more stoked to be picking up a Roadster in t-minus 3 weeks!

I'm curious, with the EL34s, do you feel the "need" to boost your recto for really heavy type stuff? I like recto tones, but there is just something that irks me about needing a boost to get optimum tone out of an amp

Back