I LOVE my Tremoverb!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghunter

Reaction score
I haven't even had it for a week and I'm in love! This amp is hugely versatile, and I know I'm only scratching the surface.

The clean isn't a nice sparkling Fender clean, but more of a deeper, richer clean. It really does highlight the differences between my guitars, unlike the Fender that tends to bring all of the guitars into its own range.

Vintage and Modern gains are beautiful the way they add all sorts of harmonics and bite to the sound. This amp doesn't seem to need any pedal to get up into high overdrive territory

This may seem strange, but the Blues channel seems more like an AC30 than a Twin to me. It chirps like a vox, but like the clean channel it just doesn't have the chime of the Fender. I plugged in my Ric 340 and pumped the treble up a little, and yep it's very Vox-y to my ears.

Perhaps the biggest surprise, though, is how good this 100W beast sounds at low volumes. I was nearly sure that I'd want a Hotplate to tone it down, but at this point I don't think so. I could see using a hotplate down the road to get even more tonal variation out of it, but right now I haven't even touched the channel cloning or tube drive settings.

I was thinking about a DC-3/5 instead, but am sooo glad that I spent the extra to get the real deal Rectifier. I've owned a Triaxis, a Formula, and a 20/20 before, and this is in a different league altogether. Admittedly I may have given up on the Triaxis before I truly figured it out, but that is one of the fatal flaws of that unit - usability.

The tremoverb is all about tone, baby! This amp is a keeper!

Subject Line: "I LOVE my Tremoverb"

Me too, I love your TremoloVerb ... er I meant to say I love my Tremoloverb too.

ghunter said:
The clean isn't a nice sparkling Fender clean, but more of a deeper, richer clean. It really does highlight the differences between my guitars, unlike the Fender that tends to bring all of the guitars into its own range.
Not so sure it will give you Fender Black Face sparkle, that would be a LoneStar Classic Department.
ghunter said:
This may seem strange, but the Blues channel seems more like an AC30 than a Twin to me. It chirps like a vox, but like the clean channel it just doesn't have the chime of the Fender. I plugged in my Ric 340 and pumped the treble up a little, and yep it's very Vox-y to my ears.
To get a warm breakup Fender tone, you have to use the cloning Blue Mode with the Orange Channel. Not sure how to do that. But that may give you some Fender tone.

Yes, I kinda think there's a slight presence in the red channel / blues mode what you describe as Voxy.

ghunter said:

Yeah, ToV is my favorite Boogie! Since I had it, it obtains the tone I want from it.

Road King => too much knobs, easy to get lost, I don't have the time to learn its capability. Heavy on the learning curve. Great amp nevertheless.

Mark IV => great amp, very compact, cool 5 graphic for easy quick adjustment. Cons: Semi-Tone Share controls for each channel, again a great amp, most versatile amp I've encounter in a small package.

Fender may be the gold standard of clean, but I'm after something else. The Custom Vibrolux that I sold last night was a great amp, but adjusting the tone was a very subtle exercise and there wasn't much you could to not make it sound the same. Of course, if I was a Country & Western player I'd grab a tele and be in heaven with that tone, but I'm not.

You people are killing me and making me have second thoughts about selling mine! Um, maybe i can just keep it, what is the difference between having 3 heads compared to 4 :)

ghunter said:
I haven't even had it for a week and I'm in love! This amp is hugely versatile, and I know I'm only scratching the surface.

Vintage and Modern gains are beautiful the way they add all sorts of harmonics and bite to the sound. This amp doesn't seem to need any pedal to get up into high overdrive territory

Perhaps the biggest surprise, though, is how good this 100W beast sounds at low volumes. I was nearly sure that I'd want a Hotplate to tone it down, but at this point I don't think so. I could see using a hotplate down the road to get even more tonal variation out of it, but right now I haven't even touched the channel cloning or tube drive settings.

I was thinking about a DC-3/5 instead, but am sooo glad that I spent the extra to get the real deal Rectifier. I've owned a Triaxis, a Formula, and a 20/20 before, and this is in a different league altogether. Admittedly I may have given up on the Triaxis before I truly figured it out, but that is one of the fatal flaws of that unit - usability.

So what are your other three? I'd be interested to know what amps you have that you might prefer to the Tremoverb.

I look to be stabilizing around the Tremoverb and a THD Univalve.

Actualy i have more then three now, however two are getting sold.

present line up.
Roadking V1 (might sell and get a roadster)
Bogner XTC 101B
Mesa Boogie dual 2 channel S/n R0005
Mesa boogie dual Rackmount (going up for sale very shortly)
Mesa boog Tremoverb (original with attached power cord and ground switch)

Rack Gear I have
Marshall JMP-1
ADA MP1
Randall RT2/50 power amp.

ghunter said:
So what are your other three? I'd be interested to know what amps you have that you might prefer to the Tremoverb.

I look to be stabilizing around the Tremoverb and a THD Univalve.

siggy,

keep the Trem-verb, as well as DR two channel. Your idea of selling the RK I for Roadster sounds like a great idea, that would forfilled your RKII curiosity.

Think, its greener on your side of the fence.

What do the Duals give you that the RoadKing doesn't? I thought the Idea of the RK was to be the most varied/flexible Rectifier ever and encompass everything from the other designs?

Admittedly, I don't know if I could say that the Blues channel on the Tremoverb would be worth it vs all that the RK offers. I'd be hard pressed to keep the Tremoverb in your case and not sell it and buy another guitar and maybe a Keely Blues Driver.

IMO given the current selling prices, it's totally worth going for the Tremoverb vs the Rectoverb (extra speaker + Blues channel + Tremolo + more power when/if you need it).

All mesa amps are voiced slightly different, for example the Tremoverbs have alot more upper mid's, better suited for hard rock, rock and yes they can do metal.

The regular dual rec's are voiced with more lower mid's and sound darker.

Now as to the roadking, it falls between the tremoverb and dual rec, it has upper mid's but not as much as the tremoverb. Some people say they sound a little move voiced like the older two channel rec's as well.

Now to be honest, comparing a dual rec side by side with a tremoverb with no band, i like the way a dual rec sounds better. However in a band situation the tremoverb sounds better and cuts throught he mix alot better.

Dont get me wrong, as long as you dont cut all the mid's out of a dual rec you will still cut through, but the tremoverb just has this in your face presenes that the dual doesnt. Of course the roadking sits well in the mix too and sounds great.

I also agree, defintly worth to pay the extra $200 for a used tremoverb over a rectoverb, I think the trem's sound so much better and so many more options.

ghunter said:
What do the Duals give you that the RoadKing doesn't? I thought the Idea of the RK was to be the most varied/flexible Rectifier ever and encompass everything from the other designs?

Admittedly, I don't know if I could say that the Blues channel on the Tremoverb would be worth it vs all that the RK offers. I'd be hard pressed to keep the Tremoverb in your case and not sell it and buy another guitar and maybe a Keely Blues Driver.

IMO given the current selling prices, it's totally worth going for the Tremoverb vs the Rectoverb (extra speaker + Blues channel + Tremolo + more power when/if you need it).

I would love to keep them all, but honestly I am just not a collector and that is what these amps would become, a collection. I have always thought guitar equiptment should be played and not displayed and kept looking pretty.

With that being said, I would be perfectly happy with a roadster, my very early dual and my bogner. I might add a stiletto later on but would need to play a stage II first.

I tell you right now, if the tremoverb had a better clean channel, I would keep that over the RKI any day.

RR said:
siggy,

keep the Trem-verb, as well as DR two channel. Your idea of selling the RK I for Roadster sounds like a great idea, that would forfilled your RKII curiosity.

Think, its greener on your side of the fence.

I tell you right now, if the tremoverb had a better clean channel, I would keep that over the RKI any day.

Try a Demeter Compulator through the Clean channel and I don't think you'd say that again...

It took me a while to find tones I really like with my Tremoverb.

For distortion, I absolutely love the vintage orange. I play a PRS CE24 and keep the gain on the amp around 12-1:00, treble at 11, mids at 12, and bass around 11. Very wicked sounding with the mids higher.

I tend to use the blues setting on the red channel for my cleans. I was just never able to dial in a setting on the orange clean that I really loved. If someone has good settings for the clean channel, I'd love to hear them.

My girlfriend has a DC-10 that, to me, always sounds fantastic. We might swap sometime. I'm a minimalist (ie I really want just ONE amp), and I'm still not 100% sold that this is the amp for me. I might try to get a Mark IV sometime... it's versatility intrigues me.

Trem O Verb is by far the best sounding Mesa made....I bought mine new when they first came out and still love it to death! Attached power chord, pointy knobs...blah blah blah (mine has that) they are just awsome amps!

Only amp that you can play Kirk Franklin Black Gospil music in the morning and play Metal Core at night! :lol:

The Trem-o-verb is just one of the best amps ever... and that is hard among the Mesa family... there really isn't a bad Mesa amp that I can think of...

I didn't read every word of every response on this thread....

But I would add that I agree with the statement that the TOV is the best Mesa I own.

I do own a 65 Fender Twin, and the cleans definitely stand up to it.

It's not Vox-y, but it's not meant to be (and EL84 based Class A amp it ain't)

[disclaimer - NOT trying to brag about my collection, just making a point]

I own:

2 Dual Recto Heads
Tremoveb Combo
Tremoverb Head and 2X12
Mark IV rackmount
Single Recto Head
Reverend Hellhound Stack
Budda Twinmaster
Budda Stringmaster
TopHat Emplexador
TopHat King Royale
Dr. Z Carmen Ghia
Fender Twin '65 Reissue

If I were wrestled to the ground by a grizzly bear and forced to choose only one amp to keep.... I'd pick either the MarkIV or the Tremoverb.

They are both THAT cool!!! :D

I've owned a Mark IV and Rectoverb before my Tremoverb and the Tremoverb beats both. The Mark might be slightly more flexible with the three channels, but I like the Tremoverb's tone better. The mark was just too fickle. One change in volume or a setting threw everything else off and I was always having to find the tone again.

The tremoverb I can set at noon on the dials and have great tone and it's tweakable from there too.

Latest posts

Back