I had a close scare with an Electra Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockbody

Reaction score
:lol:

I had the opportunity to play an Electra Dyne for a couple of days in my home, and in that time I really got to put it the first trough its paces and compare it with my DC-5. I've really been gassing for one lately, but before I laid down my hard-earned cash I wanted to know that it was going to give me something I couldn't get from my present amp.

First of all, the ED is a sweet amp, if I could afford to have multiple amps at a time, I probably buy one in a heartbeat. That thing just has such a big sound it's not funny. One of the first tones I zeroed in on was the opening to Rush's "Working Man" - I just love those huge single notes and the ED in "Vintage-Hi" mode @ 90 watts just nailed it. Nailed it. Anybody in a Rush tribute band just needs this amp and a 335 and they're set.

And I was very surprised at how "Marshally" the ED is. In fact, this is what I was hoping the Stiletto was going to be, except the ED just doesn't have the gain of the Stiletto. I kept wishing that the ED's volume control would turn about another quarter turn. I've got so used to the DC's liquid tone that, when it's not on tap, I miss it. But that's not the ED's forte.

Onto some caparisons. Keep in mind these are trough my Mesa 4x12 Halfback. I think combo to combo the ED might have been the clear winner, but the only time I ever play only with a combo is the rare jam over at a friends house or practice space.

Clean:
I think the ED is the champ here. It just has a wonderful clean. Huge, round notes with a lot of sparkle, paired to one of the better reverbs in the business. My DC-5 A just doesn't have the headroom to hang with the ED. Luckily, I don't play too much in the way of sparkly clean.

Mid-gain:
At 90w in "Vintage-Lo" mode the ED shines, but switch the ED to 45w and my DC-5 closes the gap. On Ch1, with no GEQ, boosting the gain, rolling back the highs, and raising the mids and lows got the DC-5 remarkably close in tone. Not quite as big and round, but **** close.

High-gain:
The ED can't hang with the DC in the gain dept., and if you want fluid lead tone you'll need a boost of some sort. No surprise there, but I wanted to see how close I could get my DC-5 to the ED's sound and the result was impressive. I've always thought where the DC-5 was lacking was at lower-gain settings on Ch2, but not anymore. Lowering the DC-5's gain to about 4.5, treble to 7.5, mid to 6, low to 3, pres to 3, and playing with the GEQ (mainly dropping lowering 240 below the middle, and boosting the 2400) got me a tone really close to one of my favorite settings on the ED @ 45w. I think I've gotten complacent in my sound with the DC-5 and have quit experimenting with different sounds, but I've got a renewed admiration for Randall Smith and the GEQ he wisely included in so many amps. I bet a DC-10 would match those big tones @ the ED's 90w setting.

In the end I really liked the ED, but when I got to compare one side-by-side with my DC-5, I found that the DC-5 could give me 90% of what I liked most about the ED, and the ED can't do what the DC's can do without some external help. Considering what I'd have to come up with after selling my DC I'd say I can live without that other 10%.

Long live the DC!

Great post, Bob. Thanks for that writeup!

Yeah, for some reason the ED (I can't type that without thinking of the radio commercials for the drugs which help your "ED" ...but I digress ;) ) has always got me thinking about trying one, but I'm afraid I'll like it! :)

Fact is, I don't need another amp, my DC5 is such a well-worn friend that has gotten me through so much play time I can't bear the thought of going elsewhere. And of course the simplest of reasons: the ED may get me different sounds but I doubt it'll make me sound any better. I love my DC's tone and wide landscape of tonal possibilities, and I, too, have lauded Randall's GEQ as the King of all Boogie advancements!

I appreciate your detailed feedback. Mine DC5 is an A version, which I like for
the fact it the clean channel breaks up so smoothly and musically. But you are right, if I were to play spanky clean, it is not the right amp. I did have a DC10 for a short time: now there is tonal GIRTH ...I cannot imagine that the DC10 could not get you within a hairsbreath of the ED; or perhaps even stomp all over it. That DC would make a Twin blush, and not because of mere volume, but for it's huge bottom and massic sonic footprint that ooozed big, clean, sparkly goodness. A killer country or jazz amp I would bet for sure. But that's not me, so I doubt the ED would "get me much" in the cleans.

OD with my DC5 is amazing. Other amps (including other boogs) have come and gone, including the DC10, but my DC5's OD tone gushes with liquidy goodness. And not even only with full saturation either as its "classic rock" tone is all there, as well. Just an amazing rock rhythm or lead tone that I have yet to find another amp improve upon. Others are different, yes, but better?? Nah :)

Bottom line is after I had done some judicious tube experimentation, I turned my DC5 from an amp that I liked into an amp that I love ...it does all things for me, no exaggeration. I recently fell in love with a 5:25 110 combo that I realy like for its small footprint and huge tone ...yeah, I said it, huge tone (try it trhough an EVM Thiele and you'll know!). But that is a great backup or grab-n-go amp that gets me fabulous tone in a small package. I love it, but the DC5 wil always do the heavy lifting when it counts.

Edward

Good posts guys. I am really contemplating throwing my DC 10 on Craigs to help fund the purchase of an ED. There is just something about that tone.... IMO it has the best hi gain tone Boogie has to offer. (I do consider the "volume" maxed hi gain as well as the trim switch on the back is set correctly.) The cleans are great too, better than the DC.

I might actually just buy the ED combo and A/B it with the DC 10 combo. That would be the true test. I have 30 days to decide if purchased thru GC. I'd really hate to instantly put myself $1800 ish in debt, but for good tone its worth it. LOL. :) If I keep the ED, I'll sell the DC.

Decisions.

IMHO, do NOT sell the DC10 without first living with the ED for a while (like your 30-day GC trial). The DC10 is a great amp, a seriously a great amp. I sold mine only because it was too much for my use, in wattage, in weight, and as a head meant more trips to the car to grab a cab. But the DC10 has such huge, shimmery, bold cleans that you'd do well to be sure you got something very special before you let that amp go as they do NOT surface often. And FWIW, you can make the cleans even sweeter with a few judicious tube swaps (as I did with my DC5). After the tube swap, I no longer feel like any other amp, boutique or otherwise, can offer me semi-cleans better than my DC5 can. Just food for thought ...keep the one you love, of course, but be very sure since an ED can be had any time; your DC10 is far more difficult to come by.

Edward

I used to own a DC-5. one of my fav boogies. The ED is for people who want brit gain and american cleans in a simple to use format. the DC series is for people who want flexibility in tone and boogie styled hi gain.

Cool post. I had been wondering about the ED/Stiletto for a while. For a Marshall, though, I'll stick to Marshall.

Back