how would this sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomadlover

Reaction score
is this the right forum?

anyway, i'm sure they'll move me if it isn't!

i'm gonna replace the tubes in my nomad 100 since the ones i bought it with are probably over 5 years old.

here's my tubes:
power: SED winged c el34's (found at doug's tubes)
pre: tung sol 12ax7a reissue with one balanced triodes

i run it through a squier strat and hopefully a marshall 4x12 or equivalent!

I think it would sound pretty good seeing as how you have selected nice tubes.

I also think that the Marshall cab is good enough until you get a Mesa cab. With my Marshall cab selection I don't think I need to get a Mesa cab except to look complete. I have several with different speaker complements. I would like an older 2x12 vert cab though or maybe a traditional 4x12.

I think I might try a little nicer of a guitar though. The squier can suffice for now but I found that I had to rework the guitar to make it really playable. I had one back in the 90's that I bought for the finish and Floyd. I ended up replacing all the electronics and having some fret work done to it. Eventually it outplayed many high dollar American strats and even the Custom shop stuff. I ended up selling it to a friend though because I was more into my Jackson and was getting ready for a Les Paul purchase. They make for good starter guitars or for playing when you do antics with your guitar that you wouldn't normally want to do with a more expensive guitar.

you def picked out some quality tubes. hard to tell exactly "how it will sound" with so many variables. all i can say (being a nomad owner with a marshall 1960A under it) if you think you like your nomad now, those new tubes and 4x12 will put you in complete bliss. i almost got rid of my nomad, then at the last second decided to retube with JJs figuring if i was gonna sell it, i may as well retube and get get all i can for it. then i played it and well... its still with me. :roll: but im still gassin for a 100 head like yours, 6L6s and an EQ.... mmmm makes me drool just thinking about it.

or should i get kt77's? do they still have a nice crunch?

fyi i don't care about the look, just how it sounds. considering this is one of the most beat up cabs i've seen in my life (the reason we talked them down to $300!). i.e. slashes in the tolex (those = eventually glued down) and slashes in the grill (we're gonna order a new one before we move ANYWHERE with it. which should be hard considering it's going to be heavier than jesus! :D )

i got the cab, now i'm wondering if i want to retube it, it sounds heavenly the way it is :D .

check it out on the rig and tones page!

Latest posts

Back