How well is Mesa doing with these amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That picture is truly a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL sight! I think part of the problem is that Mesa is known for their high gain amplifiers so for them to do something a bit different is surprising. It is kind of like going to a Greek restaurant and seeing a couple of Jamaican dishes on the menu. Of course a patron (customer) is going to be somewhat suspicious. The problem is most likely that all the guitarists who would want an ED would never give a Mesa a chance to begin with.

theweatherman said:
The ED was not made with extreme versatility in mind like the mkv or roadster/rk. it is a simple and pure sounding amp. think of it as a 1 channel amp with three gain stages. you CANNOT get extreme hi-gain and with the flick of a switch extreme clean. it has compromise built in to its simplicity. if you are a classic rock dude this is your amp. you can have a low gain crunch with punchy rock cleans and a ballsy hi-gain lead or heavy rhythm tone for your 3 gain stages. if youre a blues player this is your amp as well. you can have glassy warm cleans with a slight overdrive and then a medium gain lead tone for your 3 gain stages. if you are into punk rock, like i am...this amp is perfect. thick low end and punchy hi gain with just the right amount of gain on tap (at about 4'oclock). this amp is extremely responsive to guitar and pup combinations. if i want rock i throw on a les paul, if i want blues or classic rock i go to a strat. this amp has old school mentality. you want super clean with extreme high gain...? get a different amp. or 2 ED's :D

Do you work for mesa? ;)

I just don't like compromising my clean settings for my gain settings and vice versa. Granted, I have not tried an ED since I swapped my pickups. My Bareknuckle Rebel Yells are calibrated so maybe the EQ problem will solve itself. It should be said that the ED has plenty of gain, especially on the vintage high mode. I was actually surprised by this! I just liked the tone best on this channel with the gain dumped ^______^

FWIW, my ED combo purchased this past March has a SN# just over 1000.

Funny thing is that i was one of the many who waited for months for the Mark V, i paid for it well before it was released. I never gave the ED much thought because of the Mark V. After a month with the Mark V i thought it was the biggest letdown from Boogie and the worst sounding of all the Mark series amps. And funny how all this time later I'm on the ED forum and haven't paid the Mark V as much of a minute of thought in a long time.

Boogie should have just given the Quad preamp a nice poweramp section in a headshell and released that instead of the V. The Quad smokes the V easily IMHO. The ED is just something soo different from Boogie and they really did it right.

Latest posts

Back