How to chain a couple of Mark III's together?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogiemon

Reaction score
Anybody know how to get two Marks going @ the same time? Would i just run the direct out from one into the effects return of the other?

Often i'll see stage rigs that include a wall of smaller amps & i'm wondering how it's done.

thnx in advance

Try the effects send of #1 into the effects return of #2.
With this option, the pre-amp and tone controls on amp #1 work for both amps. Only the master volume and graphic EQ work on amp #2. The good news is you only need to hit one foot switch to change channels and have the same sound out of both amps.
You could get a stereo effects pedal and split the signal into the front of both amps. This would also work in the effects loop: right output to amp #1, left output to amp #2. You can leave the effect bypassed if desired, and with a true-bypass pedal, you don't even need a battery (I think).
An A/B/Y box does the same thing. This way, the pre-amps (including tone controls) on both amps work. But you need to hit two switches to change channels on both amps.
Want to spend more money? There's MIDI switchers and other amp gizmos galore.
Hope this helps :D

I would say you can go in 2 different directions with it,

The first one is what MrMarkIII has said (a lot simpler for the reasons he has mentioned -a single preamp to control)

The second one would be a spliter before both preamps (a lot more complicated if you wanna use the 3 channels on both etc) But you can use both preamps to colour each amp in a different way and complement each other...

If its for live applications with 2 Mk3's I would go with the first option. If it's for studio stuff probably with the second one (even mixing R2 on one of them with lead and R1 on the other) but depending on what you want and what may work best in a particular situation...

If I'm not wrong John Sykes used 3 (yes THREE) MkIII coliseum heads (one of them with an open wah as a tone filter in front) for the recording of Whitesnake's 87 album... I think the guitar sound on that album is pure evil!. :twisted:

Cheers

ok, i don't have three amps, but if i *did*, then how would option 1 apply? Isn't the effects loop right after the preamp? If so then amp #2 wouldn't have any signal coming from the effects out jack right?

thnx.

IBA said:
I would say you can go in 2 different directions with it,

The first one is what MrMarkIII has said (a lot simpler for the reasons he has mentioned -a single preamp to control)

The second one would be a spliter before both preamps (a lot more complicated if you wanna use the 3 channels on both etc) But you can use both preamps to colour each amp in a different way and complement each other...

If its for live applications with 2 Mk3's I would go with the first option. If it's for studio stuff probably with the second one (even mixing R2 on one of them with lead and R1 on the other) but depending on what you want and what may work best in a particular situation...

If I'm not wrong John Sykes used 3 (yes THREE) MkIII coliseum heads (one of them with an open wah as a tone filter in front) for the recording of Whitesnake's 87 album... I think the guitar sound on that album is pure evil!. :twisted:

Cheers

boogiemon said:
ok, i don't have three amps, but if i *did*, then how would option 1 apply? Isn't the effects loop right after the preamp? If so then amp #2 wouldn't have any signal coming from the effects out jack right?

thnx.
One example:
Amp #1 send --->Input of stereo effects.
Left output of effects--->effects return of Amp #2.
Right output of effects-->effects return of Amp #3.
Amp #1 becomes the "Center Dry" amp.

One limitation is, you cannot use the direct out as a send, then return to the same amp. You'll get a feedback loop. Not the good kind. You can run the direct out to stereo effects, then a stereo power amp, then two cabs in stereo. Amp #1 is still "Center Dry" and the master controller as far as pre-amp gain and tone controls. Lots of folks do this. They have roadies. :D

You can always keep buying splitter boxes and cables. And more amps. Who needs drummers, anyway? :D

Hi Bogiemon, as MrMarkIII and Fonzil say,

a splitter, and a/b box or a stereo effect unit with left/right outputs would be the way to go if you use the first system. I think Sykes used the second system for his 3 amps though.

On the other hand you have Toni Iommi who aparently uses one head as a master and several others as slaves using the first system (via Bradshaw splitter)

Latest posts

Back