How many ED owners would classify their ED as problematic?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outside of bad tubes, is the ED problematic?

• Yes, I have had numerous issues with the ED that can't be attributed to normal amp/tube issues (I've

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes, I have had numerous issues with the ED that can't be attributed to normal amp/tube issues (I've

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No, the issues I've had could be attributed to normal amp/tube issues (I've owned the amp for over 1

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No, the issues I've had could be attributed to normal amp/tube issues (I've owned the amp for under

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
elvis said:
Danyeo1, that is one of the worst justifications I've ever read. By your logic, nobody is forcing you to comment, either. If you want to be the self-appointed police of the internet, great. Maybe you'll save some poor soul from a bad purchase. But from my point of view, you look like a stalker. Nobody is selling anything in this post.

And if you feel the need to stick up for yourself in any post that mentions you (Tfridgen), you're making an awful lot of work for yourself. You might find that your existing posts stand up for you already. As you may be seeing in the GOP primaries, attacks generally make the attacker look weak, few people are really fooled. Relentless defensiveness only makes you look culpable. In my experience on the internet, as in real life, people can tell the difference between a good citizen and a bad one.

Don't argue with a pig. It only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

A word to the wise.

Anybody want to discuss AMPLIFIERS?

You complained about the thread so you obviously took the time to read through it. If you don't find the thread helpful or to your liking there's hundreds of other threads you're free to read. And I first asked Tfridgen for his permission to link that thread from Rig-Talk. And you might notice Gooseman, or bostonredsox quoted my thread SEVERAL times and somehow came to the conclusion I disliked the amp and wanted to sell it. Can you show me where I made that comment? He was rather relentless in a strange and odd way at my thread and drawing his own conclusions, I found he had a track record on the sketchy side and brought it up. I think it's not such a bad idea to have brought it up being that the guy has an awful lot of opinions about an amp he doesn't own.

Gordybaby said:
How many ED owners are classified problematic? :lol:

I think there is a huge problem among ED owners... See, the tone of the amp is so good that each time I hit a power chord I climax sexually. Apparently I am not the only one who has this problem:

See Exhibit A (There is no nudity, I promise you. Just a big stuuupid grin. I wear that grin every time I power this amp up. One day the wind will blow and my face will stay like that!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BFAaKgLyqY&feature=related
Check out 0.38 in particular.

danyeo1 said:
I think it's not such a bad idea to have brought it up being that the guy has an awful lot of opinions about an amp he doesn't own.

You should see me going on about the Mini Recto over in the Rectifier forum!

I'm currently trying to decide between the Electra Dyne and Royal Atlantic and the only perceived negative I read about the ED is it's volume. Can anyone tell me in what context you find it too loud? Bedroom playing, small clubs or both? I played one yesterday in Guitar Center's quiet room which is smaller or at least no bigger than a bedroom and I thought it sounded great and it wasn't taking my head off.

MJ,

I would say that the Dyne sounds OK, or even good, with the Master down to minimum. But it sounds unbelievable, and even more to the point, FEELS unbelievable, due to its insane transient response, at higher volume. The character really improves when you drive the power stage, with Master at 9:00 or above. At those settings, the thing is really loud.

As with many Mesa products, the Master has only a very short sweep from min to full volume. The volume of the Dyne maxes out at about Master = 10:00. At that point it is ear-shattering. For reference, I played an outdoor festival gig with the master set at about 9:30.

It's not just the volume, but also the upper-mid focus of this amp. It cuts through the mix very easily, and can get to be very ice-pick on the ears. My band LOVES it, because it covers a perfect amount of frequency range so that it doesn't step on the bass and has a nice even tone and punchy response in the mids.

I've had no issues with my ED and have had it more than a year. It gets used around 2 hours a day and thrown in the car twice a week.

MJ Slaughter said:
I'm currently trying to decide between the Electra Dyne and Royal Atlantic and the only perceived negative I read about the ED is it's volume. Can anyone tell me in what context you find it too loud? Bedroom playing, small clubs or both? I played one yesterday in Guitar Center's quiet room which is smaller or at least no bigger than a bedroom and I thought it sounded great and it wasn't taking my head off.

The ED is also my practice amp of choice at bedroom and sub bedroom volume. The ED does sound good at low volume, but it transitions to spectacular as the master is turned up.

I have played the RA and didn't find it to sound any better at low volume. The attenuator doesn't really seem to help in that area either, although it would seem like it should. I couldn't tell with my limited play time on the RA, but I expect the attenuator would be great for playing live to just take the edge off the volume.

I'd sugest that your ultimate choice should just come down to which amps tone and features you prefere.

MJ Slaughter said:

Well, lets put things in perspective:
1) The volume of my Dual Rectifier (100watts) at bedroom levels is half as loud as the volume of the Electra Dyne (45watts) for bedroom levels. I still have to use earplugs to avoid ear fatigue and worsening of my tinnitus.

2) The Electra Dyne doesn't have much gain until you start to get the master a little higher. For my purposes, the Master Volume at 8:30 is fine for gig levels, and that is on 45watts. I used it at 9:00 on 90 watts once outdoors on the back of a flatbed trailer. I couldn't hear the rest of the band at all and this was with a 2 x 12.

Latest posts

Back