How hot does your DC get?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jutsin

Reaction score
How hot does your DC get? My DC-3 (which I'm sure runs hotter than the 5 or 10) gets piping hot after just a little bit. Enough that you don't want to keep your hand on the chassis near the tubes for more than just a moment. Is this pretty normal?

I'll check my DC-3 after rehersal tonight. Ran the piss out of my DC-5 yesterday and I have to say, it doesn't seem to ge any hotter than any other tube amp I've played........................????

I did, however, have a power tube in my DC-3 that wasn't seated right (drummer pulled it out to check ## for me - don't ask) and that **** thing got RED hot for a second before I shut it down. Other than that, she has seemed to run normal for the 15 years that I have owned it since new. Let you know tomorrow.

My DC-3 gets REALLY REALLY hot. So hot that i run a little desk fan behind it to pull the heat off. Otherwise, it's a sure quick death.
I wish i knew how to wire up a nice little computer fan inside the cabinet-permanently. It should've been in there from the factory i think.

I think the DC-3 is why Mesa put fans in most of their smaller EL-84 amps since then. It gets abnormally hot.
My Maverick has a tiny fan next to the rectifier tube.

I put a Mark IV fan in my DC-3 when I had it. Pretty easy to do, without even opening the chassis. I had mine hooked up to the Ground Switch so I could turn it off if I wanted to record. I don't use the Ground function, so that was a great place.

If you want one without opening the chassis, simply install a lamp plug on the end. They cost about $3 at a hardware store and you don't need any special tools or skills.

My DC5 is normal but my buddy has a DC3 that you could cook eggs on. I have heard that the DC3 is the reason Mesa started using fans on small models.

My DC-10 gets pretty hot too, but the power tube sockets are chassis mounted and not board mounted, so that makes a huge difference when it comes to heat damage.

Every DC-3 I've looked in and my Maverick all have a warped power tube board.

I changed my DC-3 from a head to a combo a couple of months ago, so it actually has more room to cool now. I can't say that I noticed it running abnormally hot last night at praictice.........??? of course, rehersal volume is never that high....maybe that's the reason.

I should bring it home and compare it side-by-side to my DC-5.

Well I thought my DC-3 ran hot before I did some upgrades (F&T caps, M/M OT, M/M choke, volume mod, effects loop mod) but now it's DEFINITELY too hot- the EL84's are nice and toasty with some fair redplating. Anyway, now I have to find out a bias mod for sure haha! Once it's done I'm sure it'll scream :D

Back