how do you set your recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleekster

Reaction score
How do you set your tonestack, gain, master, and output for your crunch sound? feel free to include your clean and lead settings if you want but i'm mainly interested in your crunch. and what makes your particular settings "do it" for you?

to be fair here's mine:

Vintage mode
Treble-11:00
Mids-MAX
Bass-Max
Prescence-Off
(i usually dial my whole amp in using just the treble knob)

Master-12:00
( let me say at this point that my power section hits break-up at 10:00) :mrgreen:
Metal(what i consider the typical recto type tone)
gain-11:00
output-12:00

Classic rock(reminds me of a tweed bassman/Plexi tone)
gain-8:00
output-3:00

Alternate setting
gain-8:30
output-2:00

Solo-MAX

I also use a bad monkey for solos

i like it cause it's tight, articulate,cuts through the mix easily, and has a kind of "in your face" crunch to it versus a more indistinct "wall of distortion" as is typical with scooped mids.

My Dual starts to sound great with the volume about 9:00 to 10:00.

When running with my Standard Rectocab and high power tubes, I run the red channel on modern with the gain at 12:05, Treble at 11:59 Mids at 12:00 Bass at 9:00 (Les Pauls are bottom heavy) and presence at 9:00. (what I mean with the stupid minutes is that I set those dials at 12:00 and tweak them a bit, depending on the room or my mood)

I use the orange for cleans because I don't have another amp for that. I usually run the gain at 9:00, Treble at 12:00, Mids at 7:00 (off), Bass at 12:00, Presence at 12:00.

When running yellow jackets with EL-84s and my thiele 2 x 12, I run the clean channel the same as my other settings but with the bass rolled back between 9:00 and 10:00 instead.
The red channel I run on vintage with the Gain at 1:30, Treble at 12:05, Mids around 8:30 to 9:00, Bass around 10:30, and Presence up at 10:30.

Thanks for posting :D i think one of the great things about boogies is that for people who can't utilize an amp at higher volume levels can still get a very usable tone unlike a lot of Marshall's and Fender's and the like.

3 Channel Triple Recto, loop bypassed.

Boss SD-1 Level Full, Tone 10 o'clock, Gain 0

Channel 3 Modern
Pres - 9 o'clock
Master - 9-10
Gain - 2:30
Bass - 2:00
Mid - 11-12
Treble - 12-1
Bold, Diodes
Into Marshall 1960 with 75s and 'homemade' beam blockers.
Sounds huge for Alter Bridge/Breaking Benjamin etc rhythm sounds

I was playing around with the red channel yesterday. I wired up my Thiele in 8ohms with parallel wiring, switched channels, and fiddled with my settings a bit. Basically, I ran everything the same except I put the presence way down to 8:00 and the treble back to 11:30 and got a huge thick tone that way. I think my ears are just super sensitive to highs and they seem to bounce around a lot in the room here. Playing outside is a much better indicator of how a tone will sound, I think. IMO my Les Paul sounds best when I run my dual on the modern channel so I'm glad I can get it to work with my Thiele.

I have a Rectoverb v.2 combo and have to always play at bedroom levels with it as I am living in an apartment right now. (Why do they call them apartments when they're all stuck together?)
The other night I was messing around with these settings;
Chanel 2, Modern
Gain:3 o'clock
Treble:3 o'clock
Mid:11 o'clock
Bass:10 o'clock
Presence:11 o'clock
Master:9 o'clock
Output:8-8:30 o'clock

No pedals. Les Paul with Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the bridge.

YellowJacket said:
I was playing around with the red channel yesterday. I wired up my Thiele in 8ohms with parallel wiring, switched channels, and fiddled with my settings a bit. Basically, I ran everything the same except I put the presence way down to 8:00 and the treble back to 11:30 and got a huge thick tone that way. I think my ears are just super sensitive to highs and they seem to bounce around a lot in the room here. Playing outside is a much better indicator of how a tone will sound, I think. IMO my Les Paul sounds best when I run my dual on the modern channel so I'm glad I can get it to work with my Thiele.
Yeah i've found that prescense just makes my tone thinner but turning it off w/ treble in the 10-11:00 range sounds WAY better regardless of wether i'm inside or out.....but of course i'm using a 2x12.

@jakeleigh and klaasman:

Why do you guys run your gain so high?

@jakeleigh:
try running your master at 12:00 it will give you a much warmer, "cranked" type sound....i find having run this setting for awhile that if i try to go back to my master at 9:00 i feel like i'm plugging into an overglorified Zoom 505 as preamp to my amp or something.....well i might be stretching it a bit but you know what i mean.....i used to play my amp with your master setting and thought it was great 'till the first time i tried it turned up.....anyway i'm not promising that you'll like it but you might be suprised. let me know what you think.

i run a ts9 in front. gain at 0, tone at 3, level at 12. for my DR i have ch4 on modern, gain at 2:30 (play lots of metal), treble at 3, mid at 9, bass and 1 or 2, presence around 11 or 12, master at 9 or higher. i get an awesome distorion through this. for my rock dist i run the hot liquid solo settings on the manual, but on vintage and on ch3. with the ts9, good for rock and roll and classic rock stuff

I bypass the loop so setting the master to 12 o'clock is much louder than any rehearsal rooms can take. Even sound engineers up to 700+ usually find that amount of volume unacceptable.

I find 10 o'clock on my Triple I can usually get away with without too many sound man problems and I think anywhere past 9o'clock starts sounding really big and full.

jakeleigh said:
I bypass the loop so setting the master to 12 o'clock is much louder than any rehearsal rooms can take. Even sound engineers up to 700+ usually find that amount of volume unacceptable.

I find 10 o'clock on my Triple I can usually get away with without too many sound man problems and I think anywhere past 9o'clock starts sounding really big and full.

OKay that makes sense.....i forgot that some recto's allow you to disable the output/solo/loop......but why you would want to is what i've never understood......what's the benifit of bypassing the loop other than making it harder to get that cranked tone?

I find the tone is fuller and less fizzy. Maybe its just me, I dont know. Its actually pretty annoying as I would like to use delay in its loop but the amount of tone that is sucked through that horrible loop is too much. I think when I eventually get round to getting the loop modded to series it may be an improvement.

jakeleigh said:
I find the tone is fuller and less fizzy. Maybe its just me, I dont know. Its actually pretty annoying as I would like to use delay in its loop but the amount of tone that is sucked through that horrible loop is too much. I think when I eventually get round to getting the loop modded to series it may be an improvement.

I see. It would seem to me that when the mix is at 100% it wouldn't be much different than a series loop.

jakeleigh said:

Channel 3 Modern
Pres - 9 o'clock
Master - 9-10
Mid - 11-12
Treble - 12-1
Bold, Diodes

i had a look...do you guys like 'ONE MINUTE SILENCE' by any chance???????????????????????????

just posted up all my tube choices along with settings in the tube section a few days ago.....sounds killer.

moodyedge said:
jakeleigh said:

Channel 3 Modern
Pres - 9 o'clock
Master - 9-10
Mid - 11-12
Treble - 12-1
Bold, Diodes

i had a look...do you guys like 'ONE MINUTE SILENCE' by any chance???????????????????????????

I have never heard of this band. I'll look them up on youtube!

Latest posts

Back