Hiss from Mini Rectifier effecs loop in red channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noize

Reaction score
Hey Mesa fans

I just bought my first Mesa a mini rectifier, what great tones! :) :twisted:

But unfortunately im having problems with static hiss and noise when the effects loop is turned on and in the red channels (vintage/modern). The noise goes away if if i turn off the effetcs loop or switch to the green channels.

This noise is there in red channel even though there is no pedal connected in the effects loop, as long as its in red and effects loop is turned on.
Also turning on a delay pedal (that i tested noise free in front of the Mini Rectifier and in the effects loop of my Orange amp), seems to make the hiss slightly worse.

Is it a faulty amp or what could be the problem? :? :?

I just bought a Rectoverb 25 yesterday and I'm noticing the same issue. I've got a couple EQ pedals I'd like to run through the loop but they are really noisy when I turn them on in channel 2. My Roadster doesn't have this problem in any channel.

Hmmm, I've had my Mini Rec for coming up on 2 years now, and, knock on wood, I don't have this issue. While I rarely run the gain in the red channel much past 9-10 o'clock, I do run the master in the noon-2 o'clock range and do get a bit of noise regardless of fx loop operation, but nothing I would consider overwhelming; to me that's normal. At lower volumes the amp is satisfyingly quiet. One thing to remember is that the master volume also acts as the send level control to the fx loop.

I'd put in a call to Mesa and ask them. Their customer service is second to none.

I did some more testing. Turned both master and gain all the way down in red channel and the noise is still there.
Also tried running a short pedal patch cable from straight from send to return and the noise is the same, as if there was nothing in the fx loop.
Then i tried running my delay on battery instead of a Boss PSU to make sure no ground loop was going on but that didnt help either. Same amount of noise
Also swapped tube v5 which i believe is for the fx loop but that didnt seem to do anything either.
flipping off fx loop switch and the noise is gone. :roll: :evil:

Noize said:
I did some more testing. Turned both master and gain all the way down in red channel and the noise is still there.
Also tried running a short pedal patch cable from straight from send to return and the noise is the same, as if there was nothing in the fx loop.
Then i tried running my delay on battery instead of a Boss PSU to make sure no ground loop was going on but that didnt help either. Same amount of noise
Also swapped tube v5 which i believe is for the fx loop but that didnt seem to do anything either.
Call Mesa.

Noize said:

Have you tried to swap V5 to see if it make any difference?

Tried tube swapping all V-1-5 with another tube, as suggested by Mesa customer support but that didnt make a noticeable difference either

There few more things that may be worth trying:

* Plug a cable in the FX loop with no effects
* Get signal from the FX loop send into another amp power amp
* Get signal from another amp FX send into Mini's FX loop receive

This may help finding which part of the amp causes the noise.

Every mini rectifier I have tried more or less had the same issue and mine has the hiss from day one. I guess if you are a metal player, you'd hear the hiss more. I use a noise gate in the loop when I play high gain stuff. It really helps!

DR5Guy said:

Thanks so running a small instrument cable from the Mini Recs send to my Orange Darks terrors loop return and visa verca is perfectly safe?

kguitars said:
Every mini rectifier I have tried more or less had the same issue and mine has the hiss from day one. I guess if you are a metal player, you'd hear the hiss more. I use a noise gate in the loop when I play high gain stuff. It really helps!

Thanks Kguitars, maybe its just how this loop works but then again someone else earlier mentioned he never had the issue, but if hes a not a bedroom player maybe its not percieable to some. Then again it gets louder as i raise the amps volume so not sure if its giggable in 25 watt red modern at higher volumes cause of the hiss.

How many different Mini Recs have you tried with this issue?

I have noticed the noise at comparable samey volume between 20/10 watt the hiss from the loop is quite abit lower in 10 watt mode even though i raise the master volume to compensate for the lower wattage.

Noize said:
DR5Guy said:

Thanks so running a small instrument cable from the Mini Recs send to my Orange Darks terrors loop return and visa verca is perfectly safe?

kguitars said:

Thanks Kguitars, maybe its just how this loop works but then again someone else earlier mentioned he never had the issue, but if hes a not a bedroom player maybe its not percieable to some. Then again it gets louder as i raise the amps volume so not sure if its giggable in 25 watt red modern at higher volumes cause of the hiss.

How many different Mini Recs have you tried with this issue?

I have noticed the noise at comparable samey volume between 20/10 watt the hiss from the loop is quite abit lower in 10 watt mode even though i raise the master volume to compensate for the lower wattage.

I have tried at least 5 or 6 mini recs so far and they all had the same symptoms when the amp was set to 25w modern(gain past noon). I use an isp noise gate and that took care of the issue. I also had it checked by the authorized dealer and was told that the amp was perfectly fine. The loop is noisy regardless of the wattge setting with mine too but very quiet when turned off. I think the mini rec is a pretty quiet amplifier if you don't use the red channel set to high gain.

As previously mentioned. These are high gain amps and the more gain you add the more noise. If you want to silence your amp get 1 or 2 decimator II's and drop them in the appropriate places.

Is this your first tube amp or first high gain tube amp? I know when I bought my first Mesa I tried everything I could to try and lower the hiss, each possible solution did nothing or introduced another problem. Before that I owned only Solid State amps.

I'll just say my Mini is much more quiet than my Rectoverb was.

Latest posts

Back