High Volume Cabinet Vibrations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treillw

Reaction score
I have a Mark V head and a 2x12 horizontal rectifier cabinet. I purchased both new and they haven't been used that hard. I've taken good care of them. I'm getting these weird buzzing vibration sounds when I hit and sustain one specific note (11th fret on the high E string). I have the main volume and solo boost cranked to ~11:00 on Channel 2. The buzz doesn't really sound like it's a piece of loose metal or wood, it's the actual note that is oscillating like. It's hard to describe.

At first I had the amp sitting on the casters on a concrete floor with a gobo in front of it. I messed with arranging it different ways and it doesn't fix the issue. I tried taking the casters off and just had it resting directly on the concrete floor. No luck.

What do you guys think is causing it? Could the speaker itself be loose?

Could it be cone cry? Found this clip on the Gear Page. Last 15 seconds or so of this clip are supposed to be a good example of the phenomenon.
http://www.seanet.com/~pauls/cone_cry.mp3

Monstercastle said:
Could it be cone cry? Found this clip on the Gear Page. Last 15 seconds or so of this clip are supposed to be a good example of the phenomenon.
http://www.seanet.com/~pauls/cone_cry.mp3

That does sound pretty similar. It's much more pronounced on my amp when I'm sustaining that single note for 2 or 3 seconds, if it is the same thing.

The cabinet has vintage 30 speakers.

elvis said:
Microphonic tube?

Have you tried setting the amp down on the floor away from the cabinet? Reseating the tubes?

I actually had the cabinet in another room with the gobos and had the head on stage with me, running the speaker cable through the wall. I don't think it's a microphonic tube, but I will make sure they are all pushed down good.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you guys know if I figure out what it is.

Ok... does it do this with any guitar? Odd sounds can also come from pickups if there is something loose, not making a good connection. It can happen only on specific frequencies.

I hate to suggest the problem my be in your guitar but? Also does the problem occur with the guitar plugged directly in the amp (no wireless in the way direct connection) with all effects off?

I did have a speaker in a main cabinet that I used for keys that I had to have reconed. I have very sensitive hearing in very high frequencies and I was the only person that could hear the noise. When I got the speaker back the noise was gone so it is possible that you may have the same problem. I'm just pointing to every possible other avenue.

To test it you can run one speaker at a time at 16ohm (that is a safe match on the 8ohm side) or if it's 4ohm on the 4ohm side bla bla. If one does it and the other doesn't then you have your answer.

It would suck to repair or change something only to have the problem persist. I would check guitars then speakers.

Back