Hetfield still using Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryswanson

Reaction score
For anyone interested in this sort of thing in Metallica's recent Instagram post hash tagged day 2 rehearsal you can clearly see a Mark V in the bottom right hand corner of the shot. I'd be keen to see how his settings may have changed since the last time it was spotted a few years back.

It looks like a JP2C actually. I can't figure out how to zoom in on it. But in a less recent post there's a pic from another angle and you can just make out the bottom right corner plate where JP's sig is mounted. I wish I could zoom and I'd be sure but I don't see the mode, EQ, and wattage switches and the rotary controls look grouped closer together, like on the JP2C. Very interesting. 8). And I think I see the reverb and fx switches right on the edge of the shot, the V should have 3 switches there.

Yeah, it looks like a JP, but it doesn't look like it's plugged in. Metallica probably gets all the new Mesa amps to check out. Their amp and guitar stash must be huge.

I did see a pic a while back of him using a mark v 25 in the studio control room, couldn't make out the settings though

Yup, crunchberries along with a Diezel Vh4 and an all black Marshall looking amp (can't quite make out what it is. It looks kinda like a Friedman Steve Stevens model) seems to be the main sound on this album. James has stated that they really nailed the guitar tone this time. I'm not that fond if it so far though, sounds a bit buzzy and flat to me. But I've only listened to it on my I pad headphones so far. Maybe I will change my mind when I pump it through my big sound system.

The song is pretty good. The production sounds better than DM, but seems a bit too unbalanced (alot of drums and guitars, where's the bass?) and the sound is still a bit too dry and flat to me, no real size to it. I guess they still want a "raw" sound rather than the more polished Bob Rock production that I must say I kinda miss.

Latest posts

Back