Here's some good info and testimonials on the Studio Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Marshmallow

Reaction score
(These came from a few Studio Pre reviews on Harmony-central.com)

This guy wrote these two reviews in 2002:

Some misconceptions about the studio preamp and the quad preamp need to be aired: it is not true that this sp circut is in the quad. I got this straight from one of the guys who had a hand in the design and manufacture of the Studio Pre and according to him the Studio Pre was a blunder for the company! Why? According to my unnamed friend it was quote "the best lead circut they ever created" and sold it for less than any other amp so why buy any other Boogie? In other words it was TOO GOOD for the price point and that's why it was discontinued: it made their other amps look bad and cost less too.

This is the only boogie product with this exact circut. Even the combo versions that came before were not qutie the same

I purchased a quad thinking that I would get the legendary sounds of the studio pre and "then some more" for nearly the same price. This is not true. I had been deeply affected by the sounds of the studio pre and believed that the quad contained the same circut as the studio. In extensive A/B tests with my quad and two studio pres I and my tech as well as multiple listeners concluded that the quad did not measure up to the studio pre in both the clean and lead channels. Upon extensive research online and looking inside the two preamps I have chosen to discarded the quad and am now the happy owner of a studio pre. My previous assessments of the quad must be revised. It is an "okay" piece of equipment (perfectly fit for a metal man and thrashing about) but it certainly does not measure up to the stunning, breath-taking tones of the studio pre regardless of the price difference. It has taken years but discriminating tone meisters are now becoming aware that the zenith of classic boogie tone resides in the studio pre. Do not buy the quad in the vain attempt to capture the studio's greatness. It simply is not there. Although, the quad is still a better piece for the metallica crowd that relies on gain and one-dimensional pummeling more than subtle nuance, complexity, and textures of the studio preamp. Why do you think Walter Becker used the Studio Pre in the studio? Because it is the finest.

Notice he said he was "deeply affected" by the Studio Pre. He's not alone. I've never tried a Quad, though I plan to someday own one. I'm not trying to make a "my preamp's better than yours" case here, but I just thought this guy had some interesting things to say.

And two other miscellaneous ones:

This is where the stu pre shines. It simply is, really, no kidding, the best boogie sound machine ever. I owned a mk1, mk3, played a mk4 for a month, and have tried out the newer boogie models and nothing compares to the stu pre.

I got turned on to this amp from a friend in a classic rock band who called his "the voice of god". He owned two or three of them and said they were the greatest amps ever made and affordable at the same time. I would agree.

I've never heard anyone call an amp "the voice of god"...

I play a 1994 prs ce 24. My main point for posting this review is to give others who are looking for cleaner sounds out of this unit a couple tips. I wanted to reduce the gain, so I retubed the 3 main gain stages with nos rca tubes. I used 12at7's in the first two stages and a 12au7 in the lead drive gain stage. It has worked out beautifully for me. Now, the whole range of gain on the clean and dirty channels is usable for me. Someone who is looking for a little less gain reduction might make all three of them 12at7's. I'm getting some really good sounds out of this thing. Glad I bought it. While the recording outs sound pretty good, I disagree with some other reviews and feel that I wouldn't quite record direct with going through some sort power amp/speaker simulator.

Thoughts? :idea:

Even though I've never tried a Quad, I am under the impression that it has a bit more of a darker overall sound to it, supplemented with more gain on tap.

I think a Studio Pre and a Quad wired up with a good switching system and a Strategy 500 would be my dream set-up. Who's with me? :wink:

Yeah, it is a bit darker and has more gain. I mean, both are cool but the Studio just feels better IMO. And that's saying a lot cuz I love both.

2547718080_e239594bda_o.jpg

4nkam said:
Yeah, it is a bit darker and has more gain. I mean, both are cool but the Studio just feels better IMO. And that's saying a lot cuz I love both.

the photo was totally unnecessary. just rub it in why dont you! :wink:

sweet setup.

The thing about Mesa discontinuing the Studio Pre because it was outshining their other, more expensive units sounds like a tall tale to me, but all the same, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Studio Pre. One of the best gear purchases I ever made. Plus I got it in early 2006 before they started blowing up, so I think I paid like 370 shipped.

if you try a QUAD with the 8x E83CC NOS Tesla preamp tubes (Telefunken production!) that they came with... LIKE THE ONE I HAVE .....NOW THATS A AMP FROM GOD...

I've had my Studio Pre for a little over a month now and I'm totally floored how great it sounds! It's not one dimensional, you can dial in alot of different tones from jazz to metal. I use a Rocktron Multivalve for changing the channels via midi and using the Eq for further tone shaping to give you plenty of channels to use live.

there are no push pull pots on the pre.... but if you pull out all the pots on the quad channel 1 and lead 1 its the same....i promise... try it....

straitouttahell said:
If you listen to their words, anybody's got the best boogie ever :D
LOL! So true. Same thing with any brand really.

I have a Studio Pre and while its a fine pre, to me, its just that. A fine pre. nothing more, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of the Boogie sound. It has its applications, and really, its does what its supposed to do. That's all that matters.

4nkam said:

What is the white amp head you have there, sitting on top of the Marshall 4x12 cabinet?

4nkam said:

Ok, seeing that you own both, can you tell me what the Quad has to offer besides a better high gain rhythm sound? Are there any other clean/bluesy/lead-oriented sounds in the Quad that aren't in the Studio?

I feel the need to chime in here.

I bought one of these hoping it would live up to all the hype. I spent long hours dialing it in.

The clean channel is good. Very blackface like. Not a bunch of bells and whistles. But I must say it has a nice clean that can vary from glassy to warm. The lead is another story. I'm not saying it's bad... But it certainly didn't fit my taste at all. It always either sounded too vintage or too much like a T-rex. I could never get "My sound" out of it. It wasn't focused or tight at all like I'd hoped. Very flubby and loose. I imagine I should have expected this. But i was led to believe something else.

Just my 2.

I love mine,but I've only used it with my 50/50.Very versatile,it dose it all .But my Hiwatt is the Dogs clean.So smooth.You have to use pedals to get the same variety of tone as the Boogies though. But its a lot easier to dial in a good tone.
100_0415.jpg

the studio pre was the best thing that could have happened to my rig. i'm running it with the power section of a peavey valveking. it sounds amazing!

Back