help with using the slave

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dearlpitts

Reaction score
was wondering if i can use the slave jack and send my mrkiii into my 5 watt kustom defender head-as i then could maybe get my boogie sound at a much less volume-?or is there other ways?

you will still have to have a speaker hooked up to the amp itself so in the end it won't be any less loud

from Mesa (paraphrased): "the slave output is used as a master send to a processor or when additional power amps are
needed for additional power. Some players use this patch point to derive an FX send signal and go to other amps for their wet sound,
leaving the amp dry for definition."

you will still have to have a speaker attached to the amp or you will damage it. You can't operate a tube amp without a speaker load. You might be able to turn the master volume all the way down and use the slave to send to another amp, but I honestly don't know if this would work.

You just need to connect some sort of load to your Mesa speaker socket, rather than a speaker. A resistor with a higher wattage than your amp. A power attenuator would do this, too. Check with an amp tech, if you're unsure.

dearlpitts said:
really-so whats the point of the slave?

Instead of using the slave-out which combines preamp and poweramp signals you could just use the preamp-out on the underside of the chassis.
This way the poweramp signal is not included (which you don't need anyway because you're using the Kustom as your poweramp) and you can turn the master volume all the way down and only send the preamp signal to your Kustom Defender.

The slave-out was really meant to be used if you want to capture the entire amps sound (poweramp + preamp) and send it to a mixer or PA system or for direct recording.

ok and so i still will need to have mrkiii hooked to speaker and put the master down and hook the send to the kustom?

dearlpitts said:
ok and so i still will need to have mrkiii hooked to speaker and put the master down and hook the send to the kustom?

Yes, you still need a speaker (or a dummy load) to be hooked up to the mkiii even though you won't hear anything through it once the master volume is turned down.
On any amplifier the output transformer will always need some kind of resistance even if it's not used otherwise you will damage it.

Latest posts

Back