Help with Mk IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TucsonSean

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a Mk IIC+ (Serial #12603) and am in need of some guidance. About 1 mo. ago, I noticed that the clean channel started having some distortion in the background. It sounded like having a second distorted amp at a much lower volume but coming through the same speaker. I tried lowering Vol 1 to below 5 and I could still hear it. I even tried lowering my guitar's volume control (I have EMGs) and it didn't help.

I have yet to pull the chassis from the enclosure but I am suspecting that maybe the channel switching LDRs (LDR 2 and 4 from the schematics) are on their last legs or the supply to them is acting funny. Are there any other possibilities? The output tubes are less than 2 years old with less than 1 year of moderate playing on them. The preamp tubes are all SPAX7 from Mesa, bought new back in 96 but I know that I don't have more than 3 years total playing time on them. I have been considering sending it up to Petaluma and have MB work it over but as cash is a little short right now and I have the skills to fix it (BSEE) I figure that I could look it over first.Any help would be appreciated.

A little background info: The amp is a 60W, short head with reverb that I picked up back in '94. The blues player that I bought it from back in Indiana said that he didn't think is sounded any good, that the bass was too flabby and he couldn't afford new tubes. I looked it over and played it for a couple of minutes before saying "Yeah, it doesn't sound too good, maybe new tubes would help. Then I noticed that the bass control was set to 8 and pulled out and offered to take it off of his hands for $350. He smiled and said " $350 would be great. Good luck, maybe you can figure out how to get a better tone out of it." I smiled all the way home listening to And Justice for All thinking I was the luckiest man alive at the time. Man, those are some good memories!

-Sean

Sounds like a bad reverb ground. Here is the fix.

GroundFix.jpg

Reverbcablemod2.jpg

Right reverb ground could be it first spray DEOXIT on the RCA connects, my MK3 were covered in oxidation. The SPAX7 do not last to long in MK2 & MK3 to isolate the prob. find good new 12AX7s Grove Tubes or JJs. That kind of noise is a connection or tube, check preamp tubes first change all, then power.

Thanks to Boogiebabies, the problem is solved. It was actually a loose reverb connection. I guess moving twice in a year over 900 miles each way was just too much for the amp! I disconnected the RCA connector and there was no oxidation that I could see so I just squeezed them back tight. Fired it up and it sounded just like it did when I re-tubed it. Thanks a lot guys. This board is great. Now it may be time for some mods to squeeze even more tone goodness from this monster.

-Sean

Latest posts

Back