Help with lonestar speaker replacement EV SRO vs Celestion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a lonestar 1-12 and i want to replace the Black shadow with my EV SRO (not the coffee can type later fin type) After i got the boogie speaker out and i placed the EV inside the screws are not long enough to get through the frame so i can tighten them down with the nut. Has anyone done this deal and can help out. Id really like to get this show on the road but i don't want to mess my new/used gear up. I just think the EV will sound better and i can't leave well enough alone.. Help.. thanks Boogie on..

Welcome to the Lone Star club. And welcome to the one real shortcoming of the LS cab design that I see: EV incompatibility. Making it work is a REAL hassle. You basically have to take the amp apart -- remove the back panels, chassis, speaker, and reverb tank. Then you'll see some screws inside the front baffle, which attach it to the cab; undo those and then I believe you can take the front grill panel off, and THEN you can remove/replace the screws. At that point you might consider installing beefier screws, not just longer ones, in case you get the hankering to install one of those 95lb EVM12L monsters. The existing gauge might work... but why not be sure.

Alternately you could bite the bullet and get a WGS Blackhawk HP (http://wgs4.com/content/BHHP), which is modeled after the SRO. I use this as my main speaker with my LSC, and it fits the LS cab like any other speaker. Sounds fantastic. I have not done a direct comparison to an actual SRO, but I'd wager it's in the neighborhood at least... and as I said, it's an awesome speaker. I really like the WGS stuff. I've also tried the Reaper HP (love it as a standalone in a closed back or thiele) and the ET65 (nice in conjunction with other speakers, good by itself too).

I have an EVM12L and when I looked at the installation job it required, I said forget it. Might stick it in another cab.

Wow, thanks for the link djw. I like the sound clips using a Lone star. These are knock offs of an out of production speaker, right?

plan-x said:
Wow, thanks for the link djw. I like the sound clips using a Lone star. These are knock offs of an out of production speaker, right?
Yeah, pretty much all of their speakers are knock-offs of the iconic Celestions and Jensens. Most makers do this, I guess... Weber too.

And how cool is it that they use a LSC for about 75% of their demos???

Hey Thanks so much for the info and link .. Guess it's going to be lets beef up the lonestar speaker screws and nuts.. This SRO is dear to my heart and it's par for the course. I already have ordered a new footswitch from voodoo 3 button only to read about a mod that can switch the drive channel by footswitch... I could've ordered a 4 button.. ha lol thank goodness for ebay.. buy sell buy sell lol.. At any rate thanks for the help.. Boogie on..

OK guys i've got the amp apart and the fronts off no problem.. Well maybe one.. I think the screw holes are metal sink which means unless i want to drill them out and find theaded sink with Larger bolt ect.. I'll just have to go for this thinner stock version but with longer bolts and maybe a washer or two.. locknut.. so well see . Stay tuned.. I will call mesa tommorrow and find out for sure if these holes are metal sink.. Looks like it.. but im old and my eyes ..even with reading glasses .. well lets just say im not going to start drilling just yet.. Been there .. done that.. Patience grass hopper.. Patience.. boogie on.

DON'T DO IT!

I just got some advice from a friend, looks sensible:

I used another method which was easier. I removed back covers and chassis. Laid cabinet face down. Removed stock speaker. Put the EVM into the cabinet using the Lonestar speaker mounting screw as guides...in other words I left the screws in the cabinet and merely used them for alignment purposes. Then I installed 4 of those speaker hold-down clamps you see around. I used some very thick screws about an inch to inch and an eighth long(can't remember screw #) to hold clamps down. Works like a charm. Speaker has not budged.

I'd give this a shot first.

Latest posts

Back