Help me understand the Preset EQ better

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfnguitarz

Reaction score
I think the manual said the preset eq represents the basic V where the mids are scooped and the lows and highs are boosted. Starting at 12 o'clock, if I move the preset to the 3 o'clock position,
- am I moving the bottom of the V shape to the right (if I were imagining it on the GEQ)
- or am I shallowing the V out, basically boosting the mids a bit?
- or is it completely different and I am boosting the highs even more?

It works kind of like the Graphic if you left everything at Unity and just dropped the mids in a V. That's how I understand it. What sucks is you can't boost with it as far as I know so it's of limited utility for channel 3 but it sounds good on some of the other channels.

The real magic of the Marks is the ability to rob the preamp of bass with the pre-gain section of the EQ (the knobs) and then add it back with the graphic which means you need to be able to boost it above unity gain. From what I can tell the preset knob doesn't do this.

Boogie should have had a simple diagram with a knob setting on one side and the roughly equivalent graphic setting on the other side.

It's not that tough. 12:00 on the preset dial is not "neutral" - it's halfway up. The Preset cannot make a ^ shape, just a V shape. So all the way counterclockwise, it barely does anything. As you turn the dial clockwise, it basically adds the V shape, but with less emphasis on the 6600 slider. When it is all the way up, it is much like a hard V, but the high end is tamed somewhat.

It does boost frequencies and cut frequencies above unity gain. You won't hear a real difference because it is balanced well, so the amp doesn't feel any louder.

It is possible to get the same sound with the GEQ as with the Preset. They use the same components inside the amp. As I recall: 80hz up a lot, 240hz up, 750 hz down maybe halfway, 2200 near 240, 6600 below 2200. Then you'll have to turn up the channel master as I think the Preset boosts the whole signal up to compensate.

The preset is just easier to use (maybe not! ;) ), and sounds **** good for certain sounds. (I would vehemently disagree that it doesn't sound good in the third channel.)

Start off with the knob rolled all the way down. Then turn it up until it sounds good to ya.

I thought it was dialing in the mix/depth of the V tone vs the straight tone. From the boogie product page.....

The PRESET Mode is fitted with a PRESET DEPTH control that allows you to dial in the right amount of the PRESET contour for each Channel’s sound. For example, you might want to use the SLIDERS selection on Channel 3 to craft your own signature lead sound and two different mixes of the PRESET setting on Channels 1 and 2 for your clean rhythm and crunch sounds.

I don't see how the quote from the manual leads you to believe it's a mix control (it is not, at any rate.) It's certainly not a parallel signal path mixture knob.

Preset Depth means the Depth of the Mid-Cut, basically. Higher Preset Value = larger amount of scoop.

Just use your ears. You can hear lows and highs added, and mids decreased, as the knob goes clockwise.

I find that I get better high gain sounds using the preset eq on channel 2 and 3. It's usually up around 2 o clock for both channels and fattens up the tone more than a V curve on the graphic eq which tends to be hollower sounding.

Latest posts

Back