(Help) Mark V Combo: Blown Fuse + Smoke, Colorado Repairs??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownieD2W

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am really in a predicament here, I'm trying to decide if I should really be worried yet or not. Last night, about 20 minutes into practice my Mark V Combo suddenly popped, powered down, blew a fuse, and then a wisp of stinky white smoke came out of the back near the venting by FX loop jacks. The smoke odor wasn't particularly offensive but it was very pungent, and smelled like burnt plastic/rubber and hot solder if that makes sense. I purchased the amp in August 2009, so I am now past the warranty period, which is where my stomach ache kicks in. From what I can gather online, I believe a tube had/caused a major short and caused something to go wrong inside the amp, wrong enough to smoke at least.

Not only am I feeling like my baby just got fatally wounded, but now I can't seem to find a reliable repair place to take it to. I live in the Denver Metro-area and there is virtually no information or reviews/testimonials on any of the repair places recommended on the Mesa Boogie website. The only place that does have reviews (National Speaker and Sound) has some pretty awful sounding transactions, and unfortunately this is the shop where I purchased the amp 5 years ago. A lot can happen in 5 years it seems, the most recent reviews for National Speaker's repair department were pretty bad, and they sound like the result of new service repair tech's operating under the name of the repair tech who had a good reputation but has since passed away.

I really don't know what to do, I love my Mark V and was just in the process of making my own headshell and cabinet to rehouse the chassis and speaker from my combo. If anyone has some recommendations on repair places or tech's in my area, I would greatly appreciate the heads up. Should I just call Mesa and try to figure it out with them? Other suggestions? Prayers and/or Sacrifices to the gods I can make??

Sounds like a shorting power tube...current overran the tube and caused a screen resistor to overheat, which is the source of the smoke. The fuse blew as a protection device to prevent further damage.

You will need to have the resistor replaced, along with the corresponding pair of power tubes. (keep in mind power tubes should be changed every 1.5 - 2 years as regular maintenance).

You can find your nearest repair station by using the search function, here: http://www.mesaboogie.com/support/index.html

Thanks!

Thanks Authorized Boogie,

From what I can gather, the probable cause is what you explained, a shorted power tube taking out a resistor. Luckily I already have some brand new tubes that can go in after the resistor is replaced.

I know that I have a tendency to be wordy, so I'll try and condense my other primary question down to one sentence.

:: Now that I have a better idea of what the problem is, Where exactly should I take it in to be serviced??

I used the Mesa Boogie Repair Station Locator within minutes of having the problem, but simply referring me back to the search function isn't particularly helpful. I don't want to take my amp to any old schmuck.

As I said in the first post, I looked extensively for information/customer testimonials for ALL of the repair stations in my area listed on the Mesa Boogie site. Only one location has reviews (National Speaker and Sound), and they are NOT good reviews.

With that being said, I could really use some input on a specific location or repair person to take it to?? Is there a service location or repair person in my area (Denver) that people have had good experience with? Is there one Mesa in particular prefers?

BrownieD2W said:
Thanks Authorized Boogie,

From what I can gather, the probable cause is what you explained, a shorted power tube taking out a resistor. Luckily I already have some brand new tubes that can go in after the resistor is replaced.

I know that I have a tendency to be wordy, so I'll try and condense my other primary question down to one sentence.

:: Now that I have a better idea of what the problem is, Where exactly should I take it in to be serviced??

I used the Mesa Boogie Repair Station Locator within minutes of having the problem, but simply referring me back to the search function isn't particularly helpful. I don't want to take my amp to any old schmuck.

As I said in the first post, I looked extensively for information/customer testimonials for ALL of the repair stations in my area listed on the Mesa Boogie site. Only one location has reviews (National Speaker and Sound), and they are NOT good reviews.

With that being said, I could really use some input on a specific location or repair person to take it to?? Is there a service location or repair person in my area (Denver) that people have had good experience with? Is there one Mesa in particular prefers?

The resistor change is a very simple repair. Any Authorized Mesa Service Station can make the repair for you. If you are not comfortable with that, you can always send the chassis in for a factory repair. FWIW, if we feel an Authorized Service Station is not competent, they lose their status! Thanks!

Authorized Boogie said:
The resistor change is a very simple repair. Any Authorized Mesa Service Station can make the repair for you. If you are not comfortable with that, you can always send the chassis in for a factory repair. FWIW, if we feel an Authorized Service Station is not competent, they lose their status! Thanks!

Thank you very much for getting back to me so quick, AB.

"FWIW, if we feel an Authorized Service Station is not competent, they lose their status!" This is particularly interesting and encouraging. When I bought my amp I was under the impression that Mesa was very particular about who they allowed to service their amps, (which was one reason I went with Mesa). That's why I was somewhat disheartened to hear about National Speaker and Sound. In the past, they were a great place to do business with in my area, but in recent months there has been a string of bad reviews coming out of their Service/Repair Department. All of the poor reviews are attributed to a new tech, that took over for the previous one who has passed away. Before the last tech made his journey, he had an impeccable reputation. So when I heard that Lee had indeed passed away, and some other tech was still using his business name "Musicians Custom Electronics", I was really hesitant to try and take it there.

I'll give the guys at Service Dept OnLine a call and see how it goes. Thanks again for getting back to me.

I can't help but I hope you have get it repaired properly and in a timely matter.
I'd be so hosed w/o this amp for any length of time...best wishes!!!

jb's 52 said:
I can't help but I hope you have get it repaired properly and in a timely matter.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

It would probably sound dumb to a lot of people, but that amp feels like one of my best friends. I play nearly every day, and having it out of commission for any period of time is going to be really grueling.

BrownieD2W said:
jb's 52 said:

Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

It would probably sound dumb to a lot of people, but that amp feels like one of my best friends. I play nearly every day, and having it out of commission for any period of time is going to be really grueling.

I'm with ya...

Plus, if I had a gig in the interim, I wouldn't have anything nearly as comparable to my Mark V.

I had Service Dept Online go through my Roadster when I had a tube blow. He was very knowledgeable and courteous.

Service Dept On Line
7560 Meade Way, Westminster, CO, 80030, USA
P: (303) 238-0779
F: (303) 232-1433

ryjan said:
I had Service Dept Online go through my Roadster when I had a tube blow. He was very knowledgeable and courteous.

Service Dept On Line

Thanks Ryjan,

I gave Jeff @ Service Dept On Line a call last night and he set me up with an appointment today. He says I'm most likely looking at $100 or less for the repair, which was great news. He's going to check and repair any/all resistors that may need it, so he gave me a ballpark figure. He was a really great guy to talk to, he talked shop with me for a good hour or more, and gave me all these great Tube Amplifier building/designing websites and book references. So far I've got a good feeling, I'll update when I get it back, I should hopefully be able to swap the chassis into the head-shell that I've built for it after the repair.

BrownieD2W said:
ryjan said:

Service Dept On Line

Thanks Ryjan,

I gave Jeff @ Service Dept On Line a call last night and he set me up with an appointment today. He says I'm most likely looking at $100 or less for the repair, which was great news. He's going to check and repair any/all resistors that may need it, so he gave me a ballpark figure. He was a really great guy to talk to, he talked shop with me for a good hour or more, and gave me all these great Tube Amplifier building/designing websites and book references. So far I've got a good feeling, I'll update when I get it back, I should hopefully be able to swap the chassis into the head-shell that I've built for it after the repair.

Yup, that's Jeff. lol
He's a good tech and really into it like a lot of us here. I'm sure he'll get you back up and running soon and for a great price.

Back