Help identifying a 12ax7 tube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murfman

Reaction score
I have a 'made in England' tube with the logo of the letter 'M' and the letter 'V' above it. It looks very vintage and sounds very nice. Does anyone know what this is?

Also have an old GE 5751 in the #1 slot. Its an old tube and sounds great (#1 preamp tube is opposite the input plug isn't it?)

Anyway, my other two tubes are Mesa tubes. I'm looking for a Mullard 12AX7 to play with and an old black plate RCA. Any suggestions on how to stack your tubes. This is for a Mark IIB Boogie with reverb, EQ, 60/100 watt.

This can get expensive quickly!!!

-Murf

Murfman said:
I have a 'made in England' tube with the logo of the letter 'M' and the letter 'V' above it. It looks very vintage and sounds very nice. Does anyone know what this is?
Voice of Music re-branded some of the best tubes. But usually "Made in England" is a tip off that it is a Cold War Russian (or other Eastern Bloc) made tube. Mullard, for instance, was marked "Gt. Britain" There is one legit exception: Brimar. Check out the Brimar 12AX7s displayed in the Tubemonger Photo Library to see if you find a match.

- T

I have several Voice of Music 12ax7's with the markings you describe, mine are Mullard short plate 12ax7's. Compare yours with pics on eBay of short plate (15mm-ish) Mullard labeled 12ax7's, (I63 on one line of the acid etch near the bottom of the side of the bottle is common for that type) look carefully at the plate structure and you should get a good idea whether they are Mullard made or not.

Mine have fairly faint markings, but the guts are all Mullard as is the tone. Don't think mine have the "Made in England" thang, now that I think about it, but the vast majority of ones I have seen on eBay appear to be Mullards. We both know, Thom, that the guts and bottle identify the maker, not the printing!

I agree with you that "Made in England" is a tip off to counterfeit, "Gt. Britain" is more of a real deal for sure. Hopefully our original poster can upload a pic, that will make things more fun!

212Mavguy said:
We both know, Thom, that the guts and bottle identify the maker, not the printing!
I agree completely! But I'm going to have to alter my spiel, if you produce a photo of a true Mullard that says "Made in England" on it. Not that I haven't been corrected before :oops:

- T

I took some pictures though my camera isn't a very good macro shooter. Here's the whole scoop:

VM logo in a circle (V is over the M) '12AX7A' is printed over the logo. 'Made in Great Britain' logo to the side (not Made in England...sorry bout that)

It has a halo getter on a single post. Some codes say (vertically on tube) '124' then under it '1022'

In black ink it says '161' or maybe 'L61' then 'BOJ'

34ri1as.jpg

Well very cool! Thanks for the id. This is a very nice sounding tube for sure! I have an old 5751 in V1 and this tube in V2....mesa boogie tubes in the rest. I think I'm going to continue trying older tubes to replace the other Mesa tubes.

Thanks again!
-Murf

Latest posts

Back