HELP!! Dual Recto Solo Head or Roadster Head!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakkfaerum

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I currently have a Dual Recto solo head 2 channel from 1995 and I'm debating selling it and getting a Roadster head instead. I don't have the luxury of trying the roadster out first. I do hear the clean channel is nice on the Roadster (I like that), and I play what you would call modern hard rock i guess!! haha.

What do you think?? Help me out here guys, like you always do!!

Also, what kinda price for a used, but like new Roadster head?

Thanks a lot!! :D

I've always heard pretty good things about Roadsters, but from a standpoint of tone of modern gain sound, i'm pretty sure it'd be fairly similar. The cleans have gotten some pretty good reviews though.

I've seen most roadster heads go for close to $2000.♦

roadster is an awesome amp. I use it with mesa cabinet and genz benz cabinet. Every single time after we played out and people told me "man you sounded awesome."

i dont like dual recs but love the roadster, but i dont own either because im a mark kinda guy...go figure. if i had money for another amp itd be the roadster

I used to own a dual recto.did nt like it and then i got a Roadster OH man that amp smokes. similar to the dual but tighter and more options. go for a Roadster!!!!!!

I agree with w/ wildrat666. I think the roadster for the money is the better option of the two. No pulling tubes to lower the headroom to 50w, Reverb, and much better cleans. Very versitile.

It's my honest opinion that the Roadster will eventually phase out the plain old dual rectifier. I don't think it will happen tomorrow as I believe it's Mesa's "flagship" amp. But as more people become educated about it's capabilites and the relative cost difference between the two; I don't see it as remaining viable from a production stand point.

I've noticed a lot more out there lately.

clutch71 said:
I agree with w/ wildrat666. I think the roadster for the money is the better option of the two. No pulling tubes to lower the headroom to 50w, Reverb, and much better cleans. Very versitile.

It's my honest opinion that the Roadster will eventually phase out the plain old dual rectifier. I don't think it will happen tomorrow as I believe it's Mesa's "flagship" amp. But as more people become educated about it's capabilites and the relative cost difference between the two; I don't see it as remaining viable from a production stand point.

I agree

A 1995 Rectifier or a Roadster? I'd probably take the roadster as the difference in tone of the high gain channels won't be very drastic (1995 DR may be a little smoother, that's all). Plus you get a ton of more versatility.

Well, I went ahead and bought a Roadster. It should be here in a week or two. We'll see how it goes. I'll likely keep one and sell the other. I'll let you all know what I think!!

Thanks guys!!

clutch71 said:

For me this thread sparked some interested in the roadster, as I was very close to buying a dual rect 3ch recently. I'm now glad I didn't seeing the extra features the roadster has over the dual rec.

I think the Roadster will be my next amp.
I played one this past weekend for about an hour and I really liked it.
It took me no time at all to dial it in on all 4 channels.

manicsix said:
For me this thread sparked some interested in the roadster, as I was very close to buying a dual rect 3ch recently. I'm now glad I didn't seeing the extra features the roadster has over the dual rec.

how you doin manic, hope you got permission from the marshall board to hang around here lol. Im after a roadster too after talking myself up from a solo rec, you tried one yet ?

I haven't seen a many of these for sale used (I know they haven't been out for too long). What kind of prices have they been going for?? About 1500 - 1700 or so?? I know I paid in that range shipped to my door here in Canada!!

zakkfaerum said:
I haven't seen a many of these for sale used (I know they haven't been out for too long). What kind of prices have they been going for?? About 1500 - 1700 or so?? I know I paid in that range shipped to my door here in Canada!!

A deal like that is all I'm looking for :p

zakkfaerum said:
Well, I went ahead and bought a Roadster. It should be here in a week or two. We'll see how it goes. I'll likely keep one and sell the other. I'll let you all know what I think!!

Thanks guys!!
congrats and you won´t be disappointed. write what you think about it !!

if it was between a 3ch dual recto and the roadster, i'd take the roadster. if it was an older 2ch, i'd stick with the dual recto. i like my racktifier more in sound than the roadsters i played. i really had my heart set on the roadster too.

scruffydoo said:
manicsix said:

how you doin manic, hope you got permission from the marshall board to hang around here lol. Im after a roadster too after talking myself up from a solo rec, you tried one yet ?

Good thanks scruffy. Haha, well I actually have had a few chats with the boss about hi-gain metal amps (rectifiers etc.), he loves them - so he wouldn't mind me hanging around here.

Back