Heartbreaker tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaHoova

Reaction score
Hi eryone, I'm also a newbie.

I'm just about to change the tubes in my Heartbreaker and came to the same question about loading the outer and inner sockets with different tubes. But I fear the 6L6 / EL34 mix will only work with simulclass amps. The HB requires either 6L& Bias or EL 34 bias settings.
But what about mixing 6L6 with 6V6, or maybe KT66?
Is there any risk blowing the amp?

btw, the recommendation from my dealer here in Germany was a SED 6L6 winged C (special Mesa matching) quartet and a JJ 12AX7 / ECC83S V1 selection for a first try.
Some guy also think, that a change of the rectifier tube should also be tested. So I think I 'll try a 5U4 instead of the 5AR4 (that sounds almost identically to the silicon recti).

I'll just give it a try somewhen in the next 4-6 weeks and will post my results.

Here is from one of my previous posts on this board;

Mesa Heartbreaker Combo (Version B – 2000??)
V1 – TAD 7025-S
V2 – JJ GOLD 12AX7
V3 – TAD 7025-S
V4 – TAD 7025-S
V5 – TAD 7025- S balanced
V6 – JJ GOLD 12AX7
V7 – TAD 7025-S
Power Tubes = SED Winged C - 6L6GC rated at 19
Rectifier = Sovtek 5AR4

I use the Channel 1 for soloing and the Channel 2 for rythym. :shock: I bought these from thetubestore.com and I do not know if other tube stores use the same rating when they measure tubes. I was looking for the rating boogie marks as "green". Also, read the manual from mesa you can download. It talks about how to match the Rectifier tube to the power tubes and back panel settings necessary for the same, and why you need to be aware of this information. :D

Dennis

The manual says 5U4G only in 60W mode, but I have been told that a stock 5AR4 may always be substituted with a 5U4G at no risk. (but not a stock 5U4G with a 5AR4)
But to be sure, I will check with the guys @ Meinl (German Mesa Distibutor) - just to avoid smoke signals :oops: .

Back