Have F-50, want a wood/wicker Mark ii..pros/cons?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk_benedict

Reaction score
Hi all- Looking for some opinions from those who have experience with both the F-50 and the Mark IIb.

I have been gigging regularly with a stock F-50 combo for about two years. This is my first Mesa, but I have played several others in the past. I've always wanted a vintage Mark in wood/wicker cosmetics, mainly because I think they are just about the coolest looking amps ever. I have a read on one quasi-locally, with a roadcase, for about $1250 (loaded, no simulclass though).

Can someone help me understand the difference in experience of owning/gigging these two amps would be? IT's worth pointing out that I primarily use my F-50 as a clean amp.

What I like about the F-50 in no particular order:
-Lightweight (by MESA standards)
-Simple controls and operation (by MESA standards), once you learn the volume control trick
-Good cleans, Ridiculous headroom

With all that said, I've struggled mightily with the gain channel to the point where I almost never use it, so I get my dirt from pedals...just seems like a waste with a Mesa amp. Additionally, getting a bluesy, overdrive sound out of it seems to be downright impossible.

How much of a tonal difference am I looking at moving to a Mark IIb instead, specifically in the cleans? I know this subjective, but how much of an increment can I expect? My benchmark for great clean would Fender blackface type stuff.

Latest posts

Back