Has anyone had this happen to their Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyNoise

Reaction score
I was jamming along on my Solo 50 with the 2x12FB and 2x12 Orange cab...at a fairly high volume...all of sudden it begins to loose sound..I notice this obviously right away and turn down my guitar to "0". I'm kinda of freaked out...I turn the amp to stand by and check all of my connections. All looks good. I wait a few minutes...power everything back up. Everythign sounds and seems to be working good!!!

Now I know very little about tubes, etc..could I or did saturate the tubes or something? Do I have a problem..why or how did it loose volume and then return with no issue?

HELP???

I need to get this sorted out asap..Next week my band has a very important gig!!

These are the most common signs that tubes need replacement.

1) Excessive noise (hiss, hum) including squealing or microphonic tubes

2) Loss of high end. Little or no treble.

3) A muddy bottom end. Sounds like there is too much bass and note clarity is lost.

4) Erratic changes in the overall volume. Can go up and down but generally it goes much lower. This is what happened!!!
5) A blown H.T. fuse.

6) The freaking amp doesn’t work!

DirtyNoise said:
These are the most common signs that tubes need replacement.

4) Erratic changes in the overall volume. Can go up and down but generally it goes much lower. This is what happened!!!

Buy yourself new set of tubes and you are ready to go, you got your answer in your question.

I just ordered a pair od TAD 6L6GC for it and I have plenty of pre amp tubes fr spares.
The thing is though...is it possibel that the volume could go AWAY and then Come back?

I may have to slap my entire origianl mesa power tubes and pre amp tubes to get her going until the TAD's arrive.

Any other suggetions for V1-V5? I have Tung-Sol in V1..seems a tad harsh.

Try Mullards. They're not as harsh as the Tung Sols...Great texture and harmonics, very responsive...

I don't think it was the tubes at this time what-so-ever.
After talking with a guy that knows tube amps to the point that he builds them for peeps around here and hads a master in electrical engineering anyway :)) We..or he... came to the conclusion that with the way I had things setup that I simply saturated the transformer...luckly I did not smoke it or anythign else...
The way Mesa suggest a person run this is a 16ohm cab into the 8ohm jack and a 8ohm cab into the 4ohm jack...the problem with that is that you inducing 2 DIFFERENT frequency over the transformer...and this is not a a good thing.
I am NOT running things the way Mesa Suggested...I now have my 16ohm Orange cab going into my 8ohm Boogie...then parallel out to my 8ohm jack! NOT my 4. It sounds killer and I have had NO issue since then...

That is even a better way to fry your amp.

The best way to set this up is to take one cable from the 4 ohm jack from the back of your amp to the orange cab 16 ohm input. Take a second cable from the second 4 ohm jack of the back of your amp to the 8 input of your mesa cab.

REMEMBER THE RULE, always smaller into larger. By running both your cabs off the 8 ohm jack you are actually going larger into smaller, because a 16 ohm cab and a 8 ohm cab in parallel equals about a 5.333 ohm load. So yes that will eat up tubes and possibly fry your transformer. But yes it will sound a little better because you are working the hell out of the tubes.

Honestly probaly what happened that day was either a massive voltage drop, or your amp got to hot depending how long you were playing and conditions etc..

Now if you truly want a sick setup, buy another 16 ohm cab and run all three off the 4 ohm jacks, because 16+16+8 in parallel equals a 4 ohm load. You also have the option with that to just run the two 16 ohm cabs which equals a 8 ohm load. That is the big problem with running two cabs with different ohm levels, you will always have a mismatch.

DirtyNoise said:
I don't think it was the tubes at this time what-so-ever.
After talking with a guy that knows tube amps to the point that he builds them for peeps around here and hads a master in electrical engineering anyway :)) We..or he... came to the conclusion that with the way I had things setup that I simply saturated the transformer...luckly I did not smoke it or anythign else...
The way Mesa suggest a person run this is a 16ohm cab into the 8ohm jack and a 8ohm cab into the 4ohm jack...the problem with that is that you inducing 2 DIFFERENT frequency over the transformer...and this is not a a good thing.
I am NOT running things the way Mesa Suggested...I now have my 16ohm Orange cab going into my 8ohm Boogie...then parallel out to my 8ohm jack! NOT my 4. It sounds killer and I have had NO issue since then...

Siggy you are right. I am running it all into the 4ohm jack now...It sounds killer as did the 8ohm jack...I wasn't too concerned about eatingup tubes really. They come and they go :)

And yes another 16ohm cab would be the ticket...maybe someday.

For now all is well...and I have never had a better tone especially after putting in TAD6L6GC's and Gold tip Tung-Sols across the board. It's brutal :)

I would just replace the speakers in the 2x12 orange cab, I have no idea why they would wire a 2x12 in series, that is just stupid considering if you lose one speaker your amp is screwed because you loose the complete load.

DirtyNoise said:
Siggy you are right. I am running it all into the 4ohm jack now...It sounds killer as did the 8ohm jack...I wasn't too concerned about eatingup tubes really. They come and they go :)

And yes another 16ohm cab would be the ticket...maybe someday.

For now all is well...and I have never had a better tone especially after putting in TAD6L6GC's and Gold tip Tung-Sols across the board. It's brutal :)

Ya you mean 2 8ohm speakers in series? Thats how Orange set them up. I don't know..Just Orange I guess. I do have a buddy that has 2 V30's not sure on their ohm's yet though...

Yeah, well I know why they do it, so they can match them up with there 4x12 which are also rated at 16 ohm, but still a crappy design but i guess they are assuming people will be running the 2x12's witha combo or another 4x12. But if someone just uses that 2x12 and one speaker blows, well that circuit is dead and so is your head.

DirtyNoise said:
Ya you mean 2 8ohm speakers in series? Thats how Orange set them up. I don't know..Just Orange I guess. I do have a buddy that has 2 V30's not sure on their ohm's yet though...

Latest posts

Back