Ground Switch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on the amp...and I'm not familiar w/ the DC5...the ground switch will do one of two things:
It can lift the amp from ground (like removing the 3rd pin on power plug), or...
It can reverse the polarity. Either way, its function is to eliminate the ground-loop hum from bad wiring, running multiple amps, front-end fx and loop fx sharing a common power supply etc. Just be careful what you touch (microphones etc) if your amp is not properly grounded. You might get a surprise you wont like! No, it wont hurt your amp, but you might ride the lightning so to speak.

Thanks a lot NoGlassNoClass, i knew it had something to do with that just didn't know what ppl used it for. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks,
Robert

I don't know how to date them myself, but I'm sure Mesa can tell you if you give them the serial number.

The ground switch used to be right beside the fuse. My new (NOS) Blue Angel doesn't have the ground switch either, but the online manual I downloaded today shows one.

Mesa IIc User Manual said:
First, plug the AC cord into a wall socket and turn the Power switch ON. It is not always necessary to have the three-pin power plug grounded, and in some situations (such as multiple amp setups) a ground float adapter may reduce line buzz. The Ground switch located on the amplifier rear panel should be set to the middle position and switched to right or left only when buzzing line conditions warrant its use.

Latest posts

Back