Greetings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnlee

Reaction score
Hello folks, new poster here. I've been passively lurking around here for a while and thought I would introduce myself. First off, I've found this board to be a wealth of information. I'm not well versed in the technical stuff, but I‘ve picked up enough through osmosis over the years to kind of understand what the gear heads are talking about. I came across the site doing research on my Boogie amps and trying to figure out what they might be worth in the marketplace. I've been toying with the idea of selling some of my gear, which is kinda hard for me to do. Almost as hard as admitting as I approach 50 years that I'm probably not going to be the next Petrucci. I still love to play, but the band doesn't really do shows anymore. Due to life happening it's really just the drummer and me anymore. We still practice and write on a pretty regular basis, but I'm finding that I don't really use a lot of my gear and it's a shame for it to be collecting dust. I have 3 Boogies, and I will probably keep one, I just haven't decided which one yet. If I could roll them all into one amp my dilemma would be resolved.

As for my amps, my first love is my Mark II C+ head. I don't need to tell the folks here why. It is simply an amazing amp. I picked it up used about 20 years ago and have played numerous shows and put it through its paces for thousands of hours of practice, and it has never missed a beat. Other than replacing tubes I haven't had to do anything to the workhorse. It is pretty basic as a C+ goes. It has the export transformer and 60/100w switch; no reverb, no simulclass, no EQ, but on this amp I've never really missed those features. The tone is just killer.

I also have a Maverick 2x12 that I bought new. What sold me on this amp was, first, the reverb is probably the best I’ve ever heard, and second, the fact that it has two independent channels. Getting the lead and rhythm channels to switch to proper volume and desired tones on the C+ has always been times taking and limits the ease of experimentation with different tones. I read where someone called the Maverick the “Poor Man’s Dumble”. I’ve never played through a Dumble so I couldn’t tell you, but the Mav is pretty sweet.

A couple of years ago I picked up a Dual Rec 100w solo head. I got a pretty good price on it (it needed an output transformer) and I figured I would turn around and try to make a quick buck on it, but danged if I didn’t just fall in love with this amp once I had the transformer replaced. Lately this has been my primary amp. The tones seem to fit the playing style I’ve developed over the years. The one thing about the C+ is to get those great sounds the amp really needs to be cranked up. I can squeeze some very fine tone out the Rec at reasonable volumes. I used to say “If it’s too loud, you’re too old.” Now I’m afraid I’m beginning to resemble that statement.

Anyway, greetings fellow tone lovers. Glad to be aboard the Boogie Board!

Cool, similar to my 3 Boogies(4).

Except you have the sought after Mark-IIC+ while mine is a Mark IIB.
I have a Maverick.*
I have a Dual Rectifier (well Trem-o-Verb).

Peculiar, these amps' tone are quite different from each other. Kind of covers diverse palette of amp tones.

I played just about played all the other Boogies and MESA Engineer amps recent or discountinued (I live on the West Coast and authorized dealers are no more than 20 miles away either north or south). These 3 are keepers.

I do have a Studio .22+ but I'm selling that for a Mini Recto because I like these low power lunch pail amps.

Thanks jpd.

RR, the funny thing about my C+ is that I honestly had no idea when I bought it that it was (or would become) the "sought after" C+. I knew I wanted a Boogie and was drooling over the brand new-at the time-Mark IV, but it was out of my price range. I saw a Mark II in the paper at a really good price. I played it and fell in love. I knew I was getting a good deal, but had no clue at the time how good a deal...almost a steal. A guy at the local music store (that sold the amp originally) kept asking me if I wanted to sell it, and I kept declining. He even offered to make me a straight across trade for an old school Vox AC30. I seriously considered the trade 'cause that was one heavenly sounding amp. It occurred to me that I should do a little research, 'cause music stores aren't generally in the business of bugging you to buy your gear much less trading off AC30s. If I had known how sought after the amp was I probably would have taken better care of it, but it has been a true road warrior and has a lot of character--cigarette burns included.

I've been wanting to check out the Mini Rec a well. I was thinking if I end up selling a couple of my amps I might buy one. Haven't played one yet, but the youtube vids are pretty impressive.

Here are some pics of my C+.

DSCN1233.jpg

DSCN1242.jpg

DSCN1243.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg

Welcome to the board. You'll have fun here! You might even end up with more gear.

8)

Back