Greetings! New to the board and have a couple of questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

four eyes

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first post on this forum and I'm happy that I'm posting here because for me it means that I have a Mark V!

My questions are:

1) Are any of you running your heads into Marshall 4x12's w/ G1275T's? If so, have how have you compensated tonally for the Ohmage mis-match as well as the voicing of the speaker?

2) If I wanted to experiment with non-Mesa EL34's, do I have to have my head modified and biased for those tubes or can I just "Plug and Play"?

Thanks for your help,

-Del

four eyes said:
Hey all,

This is my first post on this forum and I'm happy that I'm posting here because for me it means that I have a Mark V!

My questions are:

1) Are any of you running your heads into Marshall 4x12's w/ G1275T's? If so, have how have you compensated tonally for the Ohmage mis-match as well as the voicing of the speaker?

2) If I wanted to experiment with non-Mesa EL34's, do I have to have my head modified and biased for those tubes or can I just "Plug and Play"?

Thanks for your help,

-Del

You can run a 16ohm load out of the 8ohm tap on the Mark V just fine. Those aren't my favorite speaker for Marks but they're not terrible.

Buy your tubes from Dougs Tubes (google it) and tell him what amp they're going in and he'll send you tubes that'll drop right in without any problems.

Unlike Marshalls (not that here is ANYTHING wrong w Marshalls) or Fenders it is my understanding that Mesa amps do not need to be re-biased when changing tubes, either manufacturer to manufacturer or between types. I have gone back and forth between 6L6 and EL34's and KT-77s on my Roadster and my Marks and have never had a problem. It is good to go to Eurotube or some of the other good tube companies and tell them the amp, they will customize a good package.

BTW - Welcome to the forum and kick the crap out of theat Mark V!!!

Joe

joe187 said:
Unlike Marshalls (not that here is ANYTHING wrong w Marshalls) or Fenders it is my understanding that Mesa amps do not need to be re-biased when changing tubes, either manufacturer to manufacturer or between types. I have gone back and forth between 6L6 and EL34's and KT-77s on my Roadster and my Marks and have never had a problem. It is good to go to Eurotube or some of the other good tube companies and tell them the amp, they will customize a good package.

Joe

Eurotubes is the last place I'd go for tubes.

madryan said:
joe187 said:

Joe

Why?

I don't want to highjack this tread but I realise that I'm not 100% I get the biasing and matching thing.

Let's say I by matched tubes, are they still need to be biased?

I thought Mesa was used colors to match, Groove Tube have number, The tube store have numbers as well,

If they have enough different colors or different numbers. Are those tubes fine to use without rebiasing? I know the answer is probably in the manuel or not far but hey what a group for.

Hendog said:
madryan said:
joe187 said:

Joe

Why?

Couple reasons...

1) I've never had what I'd consider a good experience with them. I've been treated like sh!t every time I've had anything to do with them. Additionally, I've called them for info and the yahoo I got on the phone sounded like Krusty the Clown and spent almost the whole conversation talking smack about all their competition. They're just north of me so it's tempting as I can get their stuff next day but I'd rather not.

2) They only sell JJ tubes which sound like Garbage in most boogies.

I buy my stuff from Dougs Tubes. Great service, awesome selection, fast shipping, etc.

four eyes said:
Hey all,

My questions are:

Thanks for your help,

-Del

Greetings,
You can pick your choice of non-mesa tubes. It will void your warranty according to mesa, I know most will say just put your mesa tubes back in and send it back. To the point of the fixed non adjustable bias, when you get tubes, for example, say you want to try groove tubes, use 4,5, or 6 ratings. If ordering other tubes most quality places will let you order tubes for mesa amps. I will not get into what brand of tubes you Should or should not use, or what merchant is better than the other as that was not part of your question, yet if you are not going to mod your amp to adjust the bais, just shoot for medium current ratings. Modding your amp will also void your warranty.
What does that mean, simply middle current rating. Medium or 4,5, or 6 using the groove tube method.
/cheers

LPJunky said:
I don't want to highjack this tread but I realise that I'm not 100% I get the biasing and matching thing.

Let's say I by matched tubes, are they still need to be biased?

I thought Mesa was used colors to match, Groove Tube have number, The tube store have numbers as well,

If they have enough different colors or different numbers. Are those tubes fine to use without rebiasing? I know the answer is probably in the manuel or not far but hey what a group for.

Hi LPJ,
Mesa does use a color code, which translates basically into the medium current rating. 4,5 or 6 in the groove tube ratings. If you go beyond those ratings your tubes could redplate and burn out quickly, at that time it could case some minor other problems, or they could run so cold your amp would sound lifeless. Stick with merchants who will send you tubes that will work with your mesa, simply ask them if they will do that, most of the top vendors will do that. If you like
groove tubes order the 4,5 or 6 numbers and you should be fine.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the responses. I've been enjoying my love affair for a couple of weeks now. Actually, today I picked up a replacement head from Guitar Center. The one I got originally was a floor model and for some reason I couldn't turn the EQ on/off via the footswitch. This new head was still in the box...unopened! To me there's something exciting about getting equipment that nobody else has wanked on. Especially tube amps. Plus I like to keep the boxes and packing material for my amps just in case I need to send it somewhere for repair.

For the time being I'm going to have to stick to the Marshall cabinet. The money I was saving for a new cab went towards a layaway on a used JP6 in great shape in red pearl burst. I'm so stoked. Its got the unpainted headstock , small dot inlays ( both of which I prefer on Music Mans ) and no piezo ( something I have absolutely no use for ).

Actually, I am considering ordering some WGS Veteran 30's and either doing an X-pattern with two of the stock speakers or replacing all four.

Just a thought...If I were to replace all four 16ohm speakers with four 8ohm speakers, all I'd have to do is hook everything back up and I should technically have an 8 ohm mono cab right???

Thanks gang

Back