greenback g12m loaded Marshall Vintage modern cabinet with E

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I should have said before is that my point about the bass in Vintage low is to do with live performance unmiked. Perhaps my ED just needs new tubes.

I have adjusted the pickup and poll piece heights, but like you say the effect is limited.

If I ever get bothered enough, I'll figure out what it is that Mesa switch in with Vintage low that peaks to bass that is not there for Vintage high and remove it from the circuit.

One thing that I think is interesting, but don't want to harp on to much about here, so I'll give a mini comparision is that the RA-100s vintage modes are kind of the oposite to the ED. The RA vintage low is super tight and the Vintage high is much fuller and thicker sounding. Both vintage modes thicken up by increasing the gain. My experience with the ED has been that more gain adds cut and pressence which I do think works really well. I can run the bass at 3:00 in vintage low without it getting to tubby. The RAs crunch seems even more dynamic than the EDs which really surprised me. guitar volume and tone pots are suddenly much more usuable to me. The RA really cuts and has more interesting harmonics going on.

Do I want to off load my ED ? NO I DON'T ! The ED gain tone is generally sweeter, smoother and more polite. The clean has more bubble (what ever that means), more depth and the reverb is much fuller/richer.

You're totally right. The bass can REALLY collect in a room and it is even worse with a bass guitar. You basically have to dial in the most cutting tone for these situations, regardless of the amp. For me, if I was projecting off of a stage I'd use my 2 x 12, which has a tighter low end response. Still, the bass has to be back at 9:00, no matter which channel.

J.J said:
I don't know, personally I don't think Vintage low sounds all that good with single coils. I have 3 different Strats with 3 different kinds of single coils and am never thrilled with any of them. Vintage high though is a different ball game.

For me single coils is a Les Paul w/ P90s so I can't really compare.

Latest posts

Back