Got A Road King and TremoVerb... Should I get a Mark?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctadre

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Maybe I just have an endless GAS problem... Every time I get the guitar or amp I want, I soon want another, in that never ending quest for tone.

I have a Road King 1 Head, and a Tremoverb Head. I enjoy both, but I have itch to get a Mark IV, or something similar with a different style of high gain on it. In order to get it, I would have to sell one of my current amps. The Road King was giving me some issues early on (I changed out the preamp tubes and it works well now), and it seems to have lots of features I no longer need. The Tremoverb has great tone, but only 2 channels and no solo function, which I dig on the Road King. Each of these amps back each other up quite nicely.

What would you do in this situation? Sell one, and get a Mark? Which one?

Dre

What's up Doc? 8)

IMHO- I think your on the right track heading for the Mark IV. You'll end up with everything and more in that amp. Since you like the RK's and the Tverbs, you'll still be able to retain that modern-ish sound but still be able to tweak in a bunch of other classic Mark tones as well. Additionally, you get some very, very nice cleans and buttery smooth leads.

If you can't afford to keep both, I (personally) would probably lose the T-Verb and keep the Road King. Having a Mark IV and a Road King will just about cover all the best tones Mesa Boogie is known for.

All the Best,
~Nep~

^ +1 A Road King and Mark Series amp.

I would also consider a different amp company for the third instead of another Mesa. If you had a RK and MK IV, you would have the Boogie bases covered. A different tone to add would be like having Adriana Lima for your brunette and then adding Scarlet Johannsen for the blonde.

Thanks guys. Yea, I dont know why, but I came up with this crazy GAS idea out of the blue.

I am a little worried about getting rid of my Tremoverb. At a gig last week, I spilled coke in my Road King during setup (it was off). I dried it up, took it home and used the Tremoverb for the gig. I got some amazing tones out of it that night!

After the gig I took the Road King apart and cleaned it well. It didnt have any issues luckily! But I cannot get that Tremoverb out of my head for having some awesome tones. The Tremoverb is a 2 channel Dual Rec... How does it compare to the newer design of the Road King? Are the circuits different enough to have different tones when in modern high gain mode?

Dre

Well, I did it!! I sold my Tremoverb and got a Mark IV short head!

Plugged her in today, and played with alot of the sounds. Boy is it complex!!! At first, all three channels sounded clean! I was like WTF? And this is AFTER I read the manual this morning and knew about the controls!!

Then I went into the manual deeper and tried all of the tweaks and settings. Now things sound really badass. I can get that lush rich power in the lead channel, and a nice crunch in the rhythm 2. The Graphic EQ is really the key to this amp!! The mid scoop that you can do really works for this amp, which is totally different from the rectifiers. The rectifiers do not need as much of a mid scoop because of their gain structures, but the mark really benefits from it!!

I am going to keep playing around til I get the hang of it!!

Thanks for the advice!

Dre

doctadre said:
Well, I did it!! I sold my Tremoverb and got a Mark IV short head!

Plugged her in today, and played with alot of the sounds. Boy is it complex!!! At first, all three channels sounded clean! I was like WTF? And this is AFTER I read the manual this morning and knew about the controls!!

Then I went into the manual deeper and tried all of the tweaks and settings. Now things sound really badass. I can get that lush rich power in the lead channel, and a nice crunch in the rhythm 2. The Graphic EQ is really the key to this amp!! The mid scoop that you can do really works for this amp, which is totally different from the rectifiers. The rectifiers do not need as much of a mid scoop because of their gain structures, but the mark really benefits from it!!

I am going to keep playing around til I get the hang of it!!

Thanks for the advice!

Dre

Sweet, man! I knew you would end up with that IV sometime. 8)
Congrats and have fun with it. You got lots of playing to be done with that amp.

~Nep~

Thanks man!!

Anyone know where I can find some settings to get the Mark IV to sound similar to the IIc+?

Thanks,

Dre

Quick question too: The fan seems kinda loud, a little louder and not as smooth as the Road King fan. Is this normal? Something I should look into?

When I shut the amp off, I still hear some noises coming from the amp, little clicks. Anybody else experience this?

Thanks,

Dre

Latest posts

Back