good trade? Nomad 45 112 for Express 5/50 112

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHATTERBOX

Reaction score
I was offered a straight trade for a 3 channel Nomad 45 112 combo for my 2 channel Express 5/50 112. Both are basically the same condition. I think my Express is in a bit better shape. Worth it or not?

I've gotta say don't do it. The 5:50 is a very versatile amp with lots of great reviews. I've never played a Nomad, but I've read a lot about them, and the response is underwhelming at best. Nomads don't really seem to stand out as doing anything well. I'm sure they're better than a Crate or a Squier, but certainly not better than your Express.

No ...no good, IMHO.

The Express series is far more tonally versatile (again, IMHO and no offense to Nomad owners), and has a much better/smoother sounding OD tone than the Nomad. Not to mention the Contour now makes sense!! I personally hated all the previous iterations of this horrible tonal "feature" since they were one-dimensional ...talk about a one-trick feature. But Mesa's new Contour on the Express has much better voicing, and of course is variable ...a hugh "DUH" if you ask me, and Mesa really got it right on this one.

If you need a third channel voice, get a pedal to get yourself there. I think a Nomad is a trade down.

Edward

edward said:
No ...no good, IMHO.

The Express series is far more tonally versatile (again, IMHO and no offense to Nomad owners), and has a much better/smoother sounding OD tone than the Nomad. Not to mention the Contour now makes sense!! I personally hated all the previous iterations of this horrible tonal "feature" since they were one-dimensional ...talk about a one-trick feature. But Mesa's new Contour on the Express has much better voicing, and of course is variable ...a hugh "DUH" if you ask me, and Mesa really got it right on this one.

If you need a third channel voice, get a pedal to get yourself there. I think a Nomad is a trade down. It's interesting you can buy and sell $500 Marshalls all day long and Dual recs seem to move easily but this under-rated Express will not sell. Granted I'm not going to under sell it either. It's too bad because like I said, it holds its own beside my Mark IV.

I played my old Express side-by-side with a Mark IV (using the same cabinet) and I actually preferred the sound of the Express! There's a give and take in features from one to the next, but I will hardly ever say a bad thing about the Express series. I really miss my little amp, even though I can't say I regret letting it go (my new Ace is the dirty sound I've always wanted, plus the clean channel is SO good!)

CHATTERBOX said:
I was offered a straight trade for a 3 channel Nomad 45 112 combo for my 2 channel Express 5/50 112. Both are basically the same condition. I think my Express is in a bit better shape. Worth it or not?

I'd swap a 5:50 for a Mark V in a heartbeat but not for a Nomad - no way :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back