Gibson or PRS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in huge favor for the PRS. I bought a Gibson, i still own it, but the toggle switch gave out on me after about 2 years of having the thing.

I now have two PRS guitars and not one of them has let me down. They sound, play, and look incredible. Plus, I think PRS has much better finishes and flames than Gibson. Also, they have the birds! They also offer different Singlecuts with trems.

PRS is an innovator whereas Gibson has gone from the most progressive company in the business to resting on its laurels. PRS continues to make new and exciting models such as the 513. PRS also has what's considered by most who use them to have the best non-locking trem in the industry. I say PRS all the way. If you don't like the sound change the pickups.

devilrob1979 said:
PRS is an innovator whereas Gibson has gone from the most progressive company in the business to resting on its laurels. PRS continues to make new and exciting models such as the 513. PRS also has what's considered by most who use them to have the best non-locking trem in the industry. I say PRS all the way. If you don't like the sound change the pickups.

I agree. I used to love Gibson until they sued PRS for a suit which seemed more about jealousy than anything else. Now that PRS won, I choose their Singlecut models over any others...especially Gibson!

What he said. The lawsuit really torqued me off as well. :evil:

I was a huge Gibson guy until they started having serious issues with their guitars showing up at stores and in customers homes with major problems. Years later, I'm still hearing about this kind of stuff happening. They simply refuse to get a handle on the issues, but insist on flooding the market with wal-mart quality trash, raising prices on their junk instruments and bullying other companies who make a better product for a better price.

As far as I'm concerned, Henry J is a scheister who took a company that was having problems and ran it into the ground nose first. I wouldn't mind if Gibson would get on top of the problems and make the guitars worth the rediculous prices that they are asking. Heck, I might even buy a Gibson. But with the way they're doing business now, there's no way Gibson will get a dime of my money.

On the other hand, I have Five PRS guitars that were playable from the first time I opened the case, and still have yet to give me a single problem. They're beautiful guitars, and I paid a fair price for them.

Like I said, I'm a PRS guy.

(WARNING: shameless plug to follow) - Speaking of PRS's: I'm selling my MINT '05 PRS CE22 for $1150 shipped... Just thought i'd throw that out there. :lol:

haha. nice shameless plug :lol:

just thought i'd comment on the business decisions of gibson. i was talking to one of my local dealers, who sells both gibson and prs. they are dropping gibson. they are a small place and sold $80k worth of gibson last year. gibson, instead of saying thank you and treating the dealer well, has said, well, unless you take $150k of our stuff (90k of it being epiphone) then you lose the dealership. the guy didn't back down and said, "well, i guess i lose the dealership then. prs is making nicer stuff anyway". so that shows you how well gibson thinks of their dealers and customers anymore.

on a side note, another local dealer of gibson in my area just got rid of all their gibson a few years ago for the same reason. well, that and the dealer was having huge issues with gibson and their QC.

jtb226 said:
haha. nice shameless plug :lol:

just thought i'd comment on the business decisions of gibson. i was talking to one of my local dealers, who sells both gibson and prs. they are dropping gibson. they are a small place and sold $80k worth of gibson last year. gibson, instead of saying thank you and treating the dealer well, has said, well, unless you take $150k of our stuff (90k of it being epiphone) then you lose the dealership. the guy didn't back down and said, "well, i guess i lose the dealership then. prs is making nicer stuff anyway". so that shows you how well gibson thinks of their dealers and customers anymore.

on a side note, another local dealer of gibson in my area just got rid of all their gibson a few years ago for the same reason. well, that and the dealer was having huge issues with gibson and their QC.

Ooops, I forgot to mention that one. I know of a few dealers who dropped Gibson for that reason. They're completely screwing over the smaller stores that have been Gibson dealers for years.

They demanded that one Southern California store take a bunch of Deering Banjos and other bluegrass type stringed instruments even though there's no way that any store in the area would be able to move that much specialty stuff.

is anyone here actually favoring Gibson?

It seems they are losing huge points from all areas of the nation.

Not I said the duck.

Gibson is ridiculous. Music Machine in Kennewick, WA was THE biggest dealer of Gibson Customs in the world. Their downstairs was 7 rooms packed with Gibson Custom cases. This was a small mom and pop operation that had become known the world over for getting the best stuff, doing great setups, awesome customer service, etc. When I was looking into buying a Gibson Les Paul Custom they undercut Mr. Roman who was the only person I could find who had the same one in stock by $400 without even being asked. They're also one of the three dealers who got the Hamer model I have and it was them that turned me on to it. Anyway, Gibson forced them out of their dealership with the same kind of Epiphone BS. This was a company that was world famous for carrying only the best and they got the shaft. To hell with Gibson.

I bought an Edwards ES-335 this week which is an exact duplicate of an ES-335 with the exception of the headstock and Edwards (Edwards is an ESP brand that is produced in Japan only for sale to the Japanese as they tend to have copyright issues elsewhere) uses solid maple for the body whereas Gibson has always used laminate (read ply). If I want a Gibson and it has to be American I'll buy a Heritage. Afterall, those are the guys that made the Gibsons we all fantasize about anyway. Gibson died when it left Michigan.

Here's what I got:
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/original/E-SA-138LTC.html

Another bonus, it was 1/3 the price of an ES-335 at $1189 shipped.

And speaking of stores dropping Gibson, even Guitar Center had a period where they were no longer officially a Gibson dealer, if I'm not mistaken. This was in the late 90s or early 00s as I recall. Evidently Gibson even pressured GC to increase their annual buy and got carried away. At the time, the local GC stores here in Boston had about a zillion Les Pauls on the walls, and couldn't give them away (well, not at $3 k or more each, anyway).

Maybe somebody can confirm this, or were the GC salemen exaggerating the truth (wouldn't be the first time)?

I like Gibson, but my next guitar will be a PRS.

From all I know Gibson and GC are darn near the same company. Not literally but they are very close. One of the last times I went to GC to play a 58 VOS the Jack-hole sales person wanted me to play a 1960 custom "GC" only model. I told him to put that piece of crap back on the wall and let me try out what I asked for.

They wanted a pretty penny for the VOS and told him I save 850 bucks and get it at Willcutt's. He kind of said something to the effect of "ooohh, some internet store bargain." I quipped back "Yeah what am I thinking, why would I want a brand new unplayed (other than pro set-up) les paul shipped tax included, and a sales person who knows what they're talking about?

It was actually a 57 goldtop not a 58

haha! The employees at GC don't know a difference between a guitar and a bass. I went in thre asking for a Private Stock PRS and told them exactly what I wanted. After many weeks of them getting information about a guitar I did not tell them I wanted, they finally got the price for the guitar I wanted. I have only bought three things there...strings strings strings.

GC is made of idiots! They need to learn something about the stuff they sell. Sheesh.

I had a buddy i went to bible school with who worked at guitar center. After he moved to be a manager at another store, i've not bought another thing from them. Not when sweetwater is closer and i can talk to the same dude every time who remembers my taste and my gear.

Yup, the Eric Clapton Vintage Old Stock (i.e. beat up new reproduction) Gibson ES-335 that GC wanted me to buy for $20,000 really cracked me up. If I wanted a beater guitar, I wouldn't pay $20 k for it. "But this one is special" said the salesman, "it has George Harrison's Hare Krishna sticker [also a reproduction mind you] on the back." I could barely keep a straight face.

Give me a break!!

devilrob1979 said:
If I want a Gibson and it has to be American I'll buy a Heritage. Afterall, those are the guys that made the Gibsons we all fantasize about anyway. Gibson died when it left Michigan.

There's a local store around where I live. The guitar sales guy is actually Chris Bovard, who has a signature model with Heritage. I've bought a lot of gear from him (mostly PA stuff), so he knows me and what I'm into. I went in to look at some pedals and he had one of his sig models on the floor. He kept talking about it until I actually agreed to have a go with it. What a guitar!! That thing was everything a Les Paul Custom should be. The playability was great, it looked great, it sounded even better. I've never heard a Peavey 6505 sound that good. If my next guitar wasn't going to be a PRS, Heritage would be very high on my list. I suggest everyone give one a try if you can. I'm not trying to really hype Heritage or anything, but they really are that good. With that said...

steeldragonjovi said:
is anyone here actually favoring Gibson?

It seems they are losing huge points from all areas of the nation.

I own a Gibson and 2 Epiphones. While I love them, I certainly wouldn't buy a new Gibson anymore. The next guitar I'm buying is a PRS. If I want the Les Paul shape, I'll get a singlecut. They look better anyway. :)

Back