gain question about the mark v

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masque

Reaction score
ok i've had my new mark v for a couple of months and I absolutely love the amp....so glad i got it......

i'm pretty much a regular rock/hard rock guy so the amp nails most of what I'm looking for 90% of the time. but on some occasions I like to jam out on ultra metal sounding stuff.

with that said I'm just a tad bit surprised at what I perceive to be the "lack of gain" for achieving that.....i have seen videos on youtube and sound clips here and there and showcase a brutal metal tone out of this amp but i'm not real sure how that is truly being achieved.

i've played for years....i know my equipment so this is not a setup issue or me not knowing how to dial in a boogie thing.....i've owned boogie stuff for over a decade......

i just know that when i'm over on channel three running in any of the three modes if i turn the gain up past 1 or 2 o clock it gets a little too fizzy for me.....so what's the secret to dialing up that crushing tone? combination of gain, presence and treble controls???

i love the sound of the amp and believe it to be functioning fine....but in compairson to my marshall jvm the jvm has way more gain on tap in multiple modes.

that just seems weird to me when conisdering that the mark v is used on a regular basis for true metal???

thoughts?

If you scoop the graphic EQ in more of the classic V shape, I think you'll get more of that utra-metal tone you are looking for (it will still be a little fizzy though).

But also be aware that this sounds cool when playing by yourself, but your guitar can get lost in the mix when playing with a band.

Took me a while to dial in the brutes.. I use extreme with the scooped eq of course. However for me increasing the mids past noon did it for me. It adds some more saturation, like another gain stage. I also think the loop disengaged sounds better too..

For a brutal metal sound, I used triode mode, treble and mids both at 3:00, presence at 11:00 or lower, gain at 3:00 on Mark IV, and EL34s. I scooped the mids on the EQ, boosted the bass sliders, but did not put the 2200 or 6600 sliders up as high as others do. The combination of these settings made the amp thick and saturated.

iceman said:
Took me a while to dial in the brutes.. I use extreme with the scooped eq of course. However for me increasing the mids past noon did it for me. It adds some more saturation, like another gain stage. I also think the loop disengaged sounds better too..

This exactly! This is what I have figured out that sounds best on Extreme mode also. Big huge fat sea of tone you'll get.

Hi Masque,

I have the same concern and issue. From my point of view, the only way to get a hi gain and deep sound (like Machine head, for example), is to put an overdrive (Ts or whatever) as a boost.

Cheers

zozo77 said:
Hi Masque,

I have the same concern and issue. From my point of view, the only way to get a hi gain and deep sound (like Machine head, for example), is to put an overdrive (Ts or whatever) as a boost.

Cheers

You can change the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th preamp tubes with some high gain tubes. Maybe some EH 12AX7's or some better high gain JJ's.

jmontgomery said:
Try backing off of the treble and presence some.

I have to say I don't agree with this. Mark IV's and Mark V's both need increased treble settings to get higher gain. I do agree with Adam about the mids also...bringing the mids up will help to fill the space left by the scooped EQ setting.

Try the suggestions here and let us know what you decide for yourself.

BTW, a boost in front can do wonders...the challenge is which one :D

For me, there is a ton of gain on tap. It may have to do with your guitars, cables, or something. In my experience, compared to the Mk IV, the V is much clearer and distinct. Any inconsistencies are easy to pick out. Now the Memory Man pedal, for example.. sounds lush on the IV, but noisy on the FIVE. Just throwing that out there. Also the FX loop send has to be at least NOON IMO or the tone gets too weak.

I use Extreme mode, BRIGHT on, treble, mid presence around NOON and BASS at 10:30. EQ set to V. Oh, and the GAIN set so the line is pointing at the N in normal. Hope you get it rocking soon.

EDIT: i'm using el-34's on the 10 watt mode for the above settings.

masque said:
with that said I'm just a tad bit surprised at what I perceive to be the "lack of gain" for achieving that.....i have seen videos on youtube and sound clips here and there and showcase a brutal metal tone out of this amp but i'm not real sure how that is truly being achieved.

i just know that when i'm over on channel three running in any of the three modes if i turn the gain up past 1 or 2 o clock it gets a little too fizzy for me.....so what's the secret to dialing up that crushing tone? combination of gain, presence and treble controls???

thoughts?

So you perceive there to be a lack of gain, but you won't turn the gain up past 1 or 2.

I think I know what your problem is. :wink:

Try turning up the gain, and switch it to bright mode if it's not already there and learn to deal with the fizz... it's part of the package.

To smooth out the fizz, roll the tone pot down on your guitar slightly, or run a longer guitar cable, or bring the treble/presence down on the amp slightly, or try pushing the 2200 slider up while pulling the 6600 slider back down around the middle line.

Latest posts

Back